Affliction Warlock question

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Affliction Warlock question

User Info: metalx88

metalx88
4 weeks ago#1
I just picked up Affliction on an old 90 boost that I never bothered with pre-WoD. While I’m just leveling, I’m curious about the 110 rotation.

I’m seeing different suggestions on UA and Reap Souls. Some are saying to hold Reap Souls and line up for procs/buffs etc, and others are saying to Reap after you throw out UA.

Which is the proper method, and to add on, should a rotation go something like this:

Apply and maintain dots

UA (until soul shards are down to 1-2) *that part also confused me, because some people have told me to burn them out, but I thought you wanted to keep at least one so you can keep UA running as much as possible

Reap Souls

Drain Soul as filler.

There is a lot of conflicting info from what I’m reading, so I thought I would come to the old faithful Gfaqs for some insight.

Thanks to everyone!
PSN-FatherOfWolves...your one and true edgelord.

User Info: Another_Gamer

Another_Gamer
4 weeks ago#2
I open with corruption and agony, then I knock out UA til I have 1 shard left usually I get at least 1-2 shards refunded since I have Soul Conduit chosen as my lv 100 talent cuz a legendary gave me Death's Embrace. Once I get those set I reap souls and use drain soul til I need to either reapply agony(right before it falls off) or I need to apply a few more UAs. I have Absolute Corruption, so I never need to reapply that one.

If it's a pack I will select the mob in the middle and use seed of corruption then put agony on all the mobs. After that I just drain soul til the seed explodes and then reapply seed and drain soul til it explodes, rinse and repeat. When killing packs I don't even worry about UA cuz I can do more damage overall by using seed for aoe rather than doing single target with UA.

User Info: GamEGreeNGanG

GamEGreeNGanG
4 weeks ago#3
http://lockonestopshop.com/#!/Affliction/Introduction

really good lock guide
GamE GreeN GanG

User Info: magemaximus

magemaximus
4 weeks ago#4
Is this for instances or questing.
You can't persuade fanboys. You'd be better off trying to convince a wall. ~CodeNamePlasmaSnake~

metalx88
4 weeks ago#5
magemaximus posted...
Is this for instances or questing.

I plan on doing more instance-focused play, but obviously dailies too. So if there are big differences then I would like to know. Thanks!

User Info: ryouma17

ryouma17
4 weeks ago#6
metalx88 posted...
UA (until soul shards are down to 1-2) *that part also confused me, because some people have told me to burn them out, but I thought you wanted to keep at least one so you can keep UA running as much as possible!

it depends on if you took the contagion talent or not, if you did then you want to save your shards to keep it up as long as possible if you didnt take it then just burn your shards, i didnt take it no idea what the "proper" rotation is i never follow guides i like to figure it out on my own, what i do is i pop my dots on as many adds as i can then i when i got atleast 3 or more stacks of reap souls i burn my shards pop my souls and cooldowns then spam drain untill i need to reapply my dots or the enemies die.

note that i only use UA against single targets for mobs i pop seed then drain soul as i try to maintain my dots on everything. seems to work well for me, will it work for you? no idea why dont ye try it and find out
http://i.imgur.com/GIugA1n.gifv

metalx88
4 weeks ago#7
GamEGreeNGanG posted...
http://lockonestopshop.com/#!/Affliction/Introduction

really good lock guide

This guide is very informative, thanks.
ryouma17 posted...
metalx88 posted...
UA (until soul shards are down to 1-2) *that part also confused me, because some people have told me to burn them out, but I thought you wanted to keep at least one so you can keep UA running as much as possible!

it depends on if you took the contagion talent or not, if you did then you want to save your shards to keep it up as long as possible if you didnt take it then just burn your shards, i didnt take it no idea what the "proper" rotation is i never follow guides i like to figure it out on my own, what i do is i pop my dots on as many adds as i can then i when i got atleast 3 or more stacks of reap souls i burn my shards pop my souls and cooldowns then spam drain untill i need to reapply my dots or the enemies die.

note that i only use UA against single targets for mobs i pop seed then drain soul as i try to maintain my dots on everything. seems to work well for me, will it work for you? no idea why dont ye try it and find out

This clarified what I was leaning towards!

User Info: EDarien

EDarien
4 weeks ago#8
Another_Gamer posted...
After that I just drain soul til the seed explodes and then reapply seed and drain soul til it explodes, rinse and repeat.

In my experience, if the mob already has corruption and Agony up, then the seed will explode during the cast time of the next seed, no need to drain first.
On a scale of 1 to Voldemort, he's a "Doesn't have a nose, but doesn't know Evada Kedabra." - RAGEface14

metalx88
4 weeks ago#9
EDarien posted...
Another_Gamer posted...
After that I just drain soul til the seed explodes and then reapply seed and drain soul til it explodes, rinse and repeat.

In my experience, if the mob already has corruption and Agony up, then the seed will explode during the cast time of the next seed, no need to drain first.

Are you saying throw seed until you’re out of shards/down to one before you drain and refresh agony?

User Info: EDarien

EDarien
4 weeks ago#10
metalx88 posted...
Are you saying throw seed until you’re out of shards/down to one before you drain and refresh agony?

If you're doing pure AoE DPS, then yes. Most things won't live long enough for Agony to matter on the group as much as Agony and Corruption on the main target, then continually casting Seed on it. I'm not sure which stack Agony does enough damage, but I assure you, at a full 10 stack with Corruption also already on the mob, Seed will pop in the time it takes to cast the next one without having to Drain in between casts. Test it on a dummy or in a random queue if you want to see what I'm saying.
On a scale of 1 to Voldemort, he's a "Doesn't have a nose, but doesn't know Evada Kedabra." - RAGEface14
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Affliction Warlock question

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived