Don't think I've ever seen a guild dissolve so quickly.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Don't think I've ever seen a guild dissolve so quickly.

User Info: SilentZed

SilentZed
4 months ago#1
So, we were 8/11, working on 9 (Coven) and had only gotten a solid night of attempts in.

We had two of our healers out for one raid night, with no backups, so we had to call it (we didn't want to chance PuGs) for one night but still had our other two nights.

The next day, our MT left, 3 DPS, 2 healers, and then everyone else literally abandoned ship in less than a day.

The thing is, there was no communication. People just said, "It's been fun raiding with you guys." and bounced. Came as a shock to the Officers as well. There was no actual dissent in raid, no arguing or bickering in the weeks I had been here prior while we were pushing (I joined on when they were progressing on Kin'garoth. We were making decent progress, likely would have downed Coven in a week or two).

Just, *poof* and it was basically gone. GM left, then some of the officers, everyone else left in file only some actually saying goodbye.
"My drg has a fever, and the only cure is more piercer credit." - benjjjamin

User Info: xcess

xcess
4 months ago#2
probably got poached by another guild, were they all close friends with each other ?

SilentZed
4 months ago#3
No, but clique-ish kind of (though understandably so, context below).

There were five people who perpetually did M+ with themselves and only with themselves unless they didn't have all of them and were busy selling 15s, in which case they would ask one of the other DPS. But when they were pushing they stuck to themselves (not blaming them mind you, if you're pushing you want to know you can count on your team and you would want to stick with the people you have the most experience with).

Aside from Raid Nights, though, these five people were never around to assist guildies.

The Officers did seem like they were friends, but mostly it was a relatively straight laced guild, though admittedly one of the most business-like (very strict no talking except push to talk and to not interrupt the raid leaders until they were done talking and only if the input you had was a suggestion for improving what we were doing). Joking was reserved specifically for farm content, but otherwise it was pretty much dead silence otherwise except when Raid Leader was talking, or specific callouts for debuffs/dispels from the people affected.

Honestly one of the stiffest guilds I have ever been in, but at least decently skilled players.

Maybe people just got tired of it. But a lot of the members in question hadn't joined other Guilds, so it's still damn confusing to me considering we were on track to push to at least 9/11 and maybe even 10/11. It's hard to say we had the collective skill to get Cutting Edge, but it would have been nice to try.

User Info: DavidWong

DavidWong
4 months ago#4
xcess posted...
probably got poached by another guild

this
Patriotism is nothing but loyalty to real estate, real estate that has been conquered 800 different times by 800 different regimes with 800 different cultures.

User Info: Joshjosh022

Joshjosh022
3 months ago#5
This expansion has been quite painful with the late-raid roadblock bosses

Honestly surprised my guild hasn’t died yet, but we’re getting close to an Argus kill so I think people still have hope. Not eenough mounts for everyone though.

User Info: Ness0123456789

Ness0123456789
3 months ago#6
DavidWong posted...
xcess posted...
probably got poached by another guild

this

Echoing this.

As someone who lead Raids once upon a time, “making steady progress” means nothing when a guild you have friends with is plowing through the bosses you’re struggling on.

Chances are, someone knew someone in a more progressed guild, said guild needed the people that left, they did, and others used this opportunity to do the same.

Stuff like this happens fairly regularly in raidingguilds that *just* Raid. They’re there for the profess, not the community. If a better opportunity presents its self, they will take it.

And considering how stiff and anti-fun got guild sounded, it’s not at all surprising if people were getting fed up at not progressing at a rate they felt was more aiken to their skill, and left.

Guilds thst actually want to stick together (and aren’t sponsored like the world first guilds) need to find a balance between business and having fun. This a game, not a job. Your sounded like it failed spectacularly in that regard.
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI

User Info: Heineken14

Heineken14
3 months ago#7
SilentZed posted...
The Officers did seem like they were friends, but mostly it was a relatively straight laced guild, though admittedly one of the most business-like (very strict no talking except push to talk and to not interrupt the raid leaders until they were done talking and only if the input you had was a suggestion for improving what we were doing). Joking was reserved specifically for farm content, but otherwise it was pretty much dead silence otherwise except when Raid Leader was talking, or specific callouts for debuffs/dispels from the people affected.

Honestly one of the stiffest guilds I have ever been in, but at least decently skilled players.

Jesus, that sounds terrible.
Rage is a hell of an anesthetic.

SilentZed
3 months ago#8
To be honest, I was trying to get them to loosen up a bit. Despite how stiff they were, I tried to get them to crack jokes in the inbetween, and it seemed like it was calming down. But, yeah.

Without the fun there, or people not taking it so damn serious, there's not a whole lot of reason to stick around if the camaraderie as players and people isn't there.

After your guys' comments and thinking on it, if it's just like a 'job', what is to keep people from simply bouncing when a better opportunity presents itself.

Still kind of bummed. Time to find a new home.

User Info: CarbonButtflap

CarbonButtflap
3 months ago#9
Once upon a time, I left a guild as its OT mid-Vashj when our RL was busy berating everyone in Ventrilo.

It had been a long time coming, but I guess the timing of that was really good because the raid group and guild dissolved completely within like four days of that happening. Everybody else was done too I guess.

I bounced around a bit and joined a top 50 guild and tanked for them for a few years after that, but I've never met a RL as salty and snarky as that one. And the group felt it, it seemed. Even in the do-or-die mindset, there was room for humor. The best guilds I've ever been in have had a tongue-in-cheek approach and an understanding that A) everyone is actually here to have fun as well as gear and B) there are going to be stoners and drunk people raiding, the sooner you accept this and their spasticness the better
Cutscenes are cheap. Games aren't movies.
Make me care about your game and then I'll care about the dramatisation of it.

User Info: ImBadAtGames

ImBadAtGames
3 months ago#10
Heineken14 posted...
SilentZed posted...

Jesus, that sounds terrible.

Back in WotLK when I was a guild leader I set a couple of rules:

1. No talking during a boss fight unless you were designated for call outs or you had a status that required help (spikes, webbed, etc). Only I or whomever knew the fight bear could speak during the explanation phase before the fight, then we allowed chime ins for people who had ideas they wanted to share, but I set a timer for that

2. No smoke breaks after every trash fight. Your nicotine addiction can wait until after the post boss break.

3. No arguments over loot, we gave loot to whomever needed the upgrade the most. We were 100% fair and there was a stretch of 5 raid nights where myself and the two officers didn't get any upgrades we could have used to make sure our guildies were getting geared. Whomever was getting loot could pass it on for a group /roll if they wanted.

4. Respect was mandatory. Only once did this happen, but we kicked one of our top DPS from the raid and then the guild because he got the idea in his head that he was irreplaceable and copped an attitude with everyone.

5. A non-raid specific rule was that twice a week the higher level people would offer help for a couple hours or for what tine they had available to help out their guildies. This meant helping them level, running them through instances, helping with elite quests, etc. A lower level member had to be with us for a week before being bumped up to New Guildies rank from Initiate. This donated time was mandatory during those couple hours a week and you would lose a raid spot if you were online but skipping this time without a reason.

6. To break up cliques I rewarded people for getting in there and helping their fellow guild members. Flasks, desired items, alt runs, gold, DKP for upgrades nobody wanted, a special rank in the guild etc. It really got the guild to mingle.

Other than that we were very easy going.

I know it sounds like we were rule mongers, and we were, but the guild was successful in raiding and in group content. We lost very few people and almost nobody has lost in the raid group because there was both steady progress and gear going out to everyone, not just the loot council.

Lower level players and non raiders seemed to form better friendships and people seemed happy.

...then I took a break and gave the guild to my friend at the time. He became crazy with power. I had an unspoken rule that you'll could question anything regarding the guild and make suggestions to improve it. It gave everyone a voice. He decided to silwny do away with this and started kicking people who questioned anything. He was also a loot whore and made a loot council of one. He and his wife got 100% of upgrades, including for off spec, and THEN his friends did then it was rolled on.

I made an alt, didn't tell him who I was, and got invited and tested him. I told him he was being an ass, he told me he was the guild leader and I was just a new recruit and I didn't get an opinion and kicked me. The guild died soon after.
Excuse any misspellings, the auto-correct on my phone is incredibly stupid.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Don't think I've ever seen a guild dissolve so quickly.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived