Never played Wow, played EQ circa 1999-2001

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Never played Wow, played EQ circa 1999-2001

User Info: MonarchPoopos

MonarchPoopos
4 weeks ago#1
is this game anything like that? trying to find a good classic mmo, not some cookie cutter locust quest game like ffxiv, swtor, or teso

User Info: GreatHammurabi

GreatHammurabi
4 weeks ago#2
If you hated SWTOR by design, then you likely won't fall in love with WoW. Though SWTOR is a substantially worse game, it's essentially a shameless WoW clone with a Star Wars face-lift.
3DS Friend Code: 5284 - 1400 - 8692
Friend Safari: Dewgong, Sneasel, Delibird - In Game Name: Andrew

User Info: Anacrusys

Anacrusys
4 weeks ago#3
I also played Everquest at launch in march 1999 and WoW is similar in many ways. I loved my EQ necromancer. Wow built upon EQ’s foundation of MMO design. WoW has been very active since 2004 and is still the most played MMO, and in the top 10 most played of all PC games. Download the game from the battle net site and play free as long as you want under level 20
Kill the King...The King is Dead...Long live the King...I am the King

User Info: Emerald_Wyvern

Emerald_Wyvern
4 weeks ago#4
The only game I can think even remotely similar is FFXI, but even than it's still very different.
"Hey I know! I'll use my trusty frying pan.. as a drying pan!" - Brock

User Info: Anacrusys

Anacrusys
4 weeks ago#5
WoW has an incredible amount of content. There are 93 dungeons and the 14 end game dungeons have 22 difficulties each. The zones in this first link don’t list the three new 110 Argus zones. There are five end game raids with four difficulties each, and the last three raids have 10+ bosses each.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Zones_by_level

http://www.wowhead.com/dungeon-item-level-requirements-guide#dungeons-vanilla

http://www.wowhead.com/mythic-keystones-and-dungeons-guide End game mythic + dungeon system
Kill the King...The King is Dead...Long live the King...I am the King

User Info: KingWhiteKnight

KingWhiteKnight
4 weeks ago#6
WOW is a simplified more streamlined EQ.

User Info: Ness0123456789

Ness0123456789
4 weeks ago#7
Anacrusys posted...
I also played Everquest at launch in march 1999 and WoW is similar in many ways. I loved my EQ necromancer. Wow built upon EQ’s foundation of MMO design. WoW has been very active since 2004 and is still the most played MMO, and in the top 10 most played of all PC games. Download the game from the battle net site and play free as long as you want under level 20

..WoW is almost nothing like Everquest, outside of being an MMO, and having non-instanced zone borders.

MonarchPoopos posted...
is this game anything like that? trying to find a good classic mmo, not some cookie cutter locust quest game like ffxiv, swtor, or teso

See this? This is what WoW is. It's the very mold that XIV, SwToR, and ESO built themselves over. If he didn't like those games, he's sure as hell not going to like the game that literally defined that genre of themepark MMO.

As for the TC: Check out FFXI. If you can get past the old as dirt UI and clunky controls, it's more or less a Everquest Clone with a Final Fantasy theme. It's definitly worth a look if you really want an old school, classic MMO to sink your teeth into.

WoW, however, is not going to be your up of tea if you don't like the quest-based Themepark MMO genere.
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI

User Info: MrXGamer

MrXGamer
4 weeks ago#8
Ness0123456789 posted...
WoW, however, is not going to be your up of tea if you don't like the quest-based Themepark MMO genere.

Well.. to be fair, while WoW has questing, it's not on ridiculous levels like those games he mentioned. Maybe he got turned off by their cutscene spam. WoW questing is quick and optional for the most part. FFXIV's endgame is like "here are a whole lot of mandatory main quests for you, same old linear dungeons with tome grind and couple of new raid bosses to kill". While WoW adds quests occasionally, it has a lot more meat on real content. It's the only MMO in market with the variety of endgame content and QoL tech it offers. The endgame can cater to everyone - solo players, 5 man or full raids. Those games he mentioned don't really offer what WoW does, so it's worth a shot.
Now Playing (and for the next 50 years): Path of Exile!
Asus Z77 Sabertooth | i7 3770k | EVGA GTX 680 4GB | Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 1600MHz | Win 10 Pro

User Info: Ness0123456789

Ness0123456789
4 weeks ago#9
MrXGamer posted...
Ness0123456789 posted...

Well.. to be fair, while WoW has questing, it's not on ridiculous levels like those games he mentioned. Maybe he got turned off by their cutscene spam. WoW questing is quick and optional for the most part. FFXIV's endgame is like "here are a whole lot of mandatory main quests for you, same old linear dungeons with tome grind and couple of new raid bosses to kill". While WoW adds quests occasionally, it has a lot more meat on real content. It's the only MMO in market with the variety of endgame content and QoL tech it offers. The endgame can cater to everyone - solo players, 5 man or full raids. Those games he mentioned don't really offer what WoW does, so it's worth a shot.

True.

It just sounded like he didn't like questing-based gameplay in general, or the style of questing you get from Themeparks. I do agree, though, WoW's questing is still the best of the bunch when compared to *almost* any other MMO out there.

I'd still say Guild Wars 2 is better but...can you really consider the Main Campaign a quest, or just a really good single player campaign? ..Either way, it's still the best story driven campaign in a modern MMO in my book.
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI

User Info: The_Black_Mind

The_Black_Mind
4 weeks ago#10
KingWhiteKnight posted...
WOW is a simplified more streamlined EQ.

This!
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Never played Wow, played EQ circa 1999-2001

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived