• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Official forums are toxic (well US forums are)

User Info: VyersReaver

VyersReaver
1 year ago#11
BlackSpiral posted...
Pretty much any WOW forum will have a toxic mess tied to it.
Granted the same can be said with many MMO message boards.
I tend to use Websites like Icy Veins, Wowhead, or the Class Discords for WOW info I need.

Reddit is pretty chill.
3DS FC: 2423 - 4301 - 6207
Moon IGN: Safer

User Info: rhoadsofrock

rhoadsofrock
1 year ago#12
My findings of what the official WoW forums are like, are that: ONLY vocal minority frequent them, a small fraction compared to what million(s) still play WoW. 90% are Blizzard kiss-asses, and will defend Blizzard and EVERYTHING Blizzard says or does to no dying end. About 75% are lawyers that know Blizzard's legal and business practices, as well as the ins and outs of EVERY known law in the U.S. (including the "don't sweat the small s***" laws that shouldn't even be laws) and will condemn anyone that even remotely likes the idea of other third-parties out there running vanilla private servers, just because it's theft. (Not that I condone or glamorize it, but ask or answer the question of "when the f*** is Blizzard EVER going to create legacy servers" - I doubt it'll happen unless they decide to pull the plug on WoW and any current or newer content)

The other 10% either don't get too involved in heated arguments or debates, or are the ones that go on there to complain or make "I'm quitting WoW" posts, and to which it can be nice to see their reasons or what ever..... but whether if they follow through and actually stop playing WoW, or if they wind up re-subscribing are two different things that both seem to happen.

Then you have Blizzard heavily enforcing censorship even more than the FCC or the PMRC both combined! I can get message boards having their rules, and not abusing other users and rules, but when you can't even say "s***" or "f***", and nearly every time you may make a post about a "controversial" or "taboo" thing related to WoW (at least in Blizzard's minds - controversial/taboo subjects mostly include the discussion of legacy servers, and criticism of Blizzard's developers or other personnel), your posts get deleted. Hell even more minor words like "ass", "b****" and so on.....

I'm very thankful for places like Gamefaqs.

P.S. Also yeah, Blizzard hardly has much involvement with the forums, except for moderating and responding to ONLY positive crap they feel like taking part in.

User Info: Amakusa

Amakusa
1 year ago#13
VyersReaver posted...
Reddit is pretty chill.

Only if you agree with the groupthink. If the hive mind so much as disagrees with you they outright remove you from the reddit.

The worst part of it is some regular people there say things that are blatantly wrong and you can't correct them.
I will rule the world, and find that truly good cup of coffee.

User Info: redundancies

redundancies
1 year ago#14
rhoadsofrock posted...
90% are Blizzard kiss-asses, and will defend Blizzard and EVERYTHING Blizzard says or does to no dying end.

Granted that I don't visit the official forums often - usually when something catches my eye - but I've seen plenty of threads that spoke out against some feature of the game that got a number of upvotes, and back when you could downvote people, I saw positive threads that were downvoted into oblivion.

rhoadsofrock posted...
About 75% are lawyers that know Blizzard's legal and business practices, as well as the ins and outs of EVERY known law in the U.S. (including the "don't sweat the small s***" laws that shouldn't even be laws) and will condemn anyone that even remotely likes the idea of other third-parties out there running vanilla private servers, just because it's theft. (Not that I condone or glamorize it, but ask or answer the question of "when the f*** is Blizzard EVER going to create legacy servers" - I doubt it'll happen unless they decide to pull the plug on WoW and any current or newer content)

There's not a lot to discuss with that topic though - Blizzard has said they didn't want to do it, and we haven't heard anything from them about it in a while. I don't think they necessarily need a daily/weekly/whatever reminder, so people are tired of hearing others bring it up.

User Info: Pokeymuns

Pokeymuns
1 year ago#15
Wait, you can no longer downvote on the official forums? Was this a recent change?
How do they deal with s***posts now?

I actually quite liked their downvote system that hid a message below a certain score threshold, but gave you the option to manually expand a hidden message easily (in case it was important to the flow of the discussion / wrongly downvoted due to groupthink / you were just curious why some poor fool garnered -238 votes).

User Info: redundancies

redundancies
1 year ago#16
Yeah, looks like about a month ago. See here for the thread (blue response at post 8)

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20757587012

User Info: Pokeymuns

Pokeymuns
1 year ago#17
Ah I see, thanks.

User Info: pomerleaub

pomerleaub
1 year ago#18
redundancies posted...
Yeah, looks like about a month ago. See here for the thread (blue response at post 8)

i kinda agree with the blue that said it was being used to troll threads (which it was most of the time) now Diablo 3 forums still has downvote ,this only affects WoW forums , im not sure about OW or SC forums though if they kept it or got rid of it?
gfaq55b

User Info: Amakusa

Amakusa
1 year ago#19
pomerleaub posted...
redundancies posted...

i kinda agree with the blue that said it was being used to troll threads (which it was most of the time) now Diablo 3 forums still has downvote ,this only affects WoW forums , im not sure about OW or SC forums though if they kept it or got rid of it?

Yeah it's ONLY the WoW forums. You can still downvote in every other one.
I will rule the world, and find that truly good cup of coffee.

User Info: WoodenRook

WoodenRook
1 year ago#20
They really are... I've seen people show logs of GMs clearly in the wrong and get shamed for it. Like they did something wrong.

I've seen people post a serious bug (the fish rare in Legion) and get shamed... later in the thread after the person had to insist it was a bug and multiple tickets later people finally started to upvote his posts almost a week later. All the people shaming him still had a ton of upvotes. His original post that was clear and detailed on the bug was hidden still.
Currently Playing: Zelda, Breath of the Wild (Master Mode)
Thoughts so Far: Amazing game, playing Master Mode now.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Official forums are toxic (well US forums are)
  • Topic Archived