Cannot Find A Suitable Display Device - Help?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Cannot Find A Suitable Display Device - Help?

User Info: QJ_

QJ_
7 years ago#1
Well my computer was pretty seriously messed up, and windows xp decided to reinstall itself last night. I still have WoW and all my other programs, and hopefully all the other viruses and whatnot are gone. The problem now, is that whenever I launch WoW, that error comes up.

This has never happened before this reinstallation of xp, and I ran a dxdiag and my computer doesn't show any information about my graphics card. I slightly remember the name of the graphics card, something like ATI Raedon family; my question is do I need to install drivers for it or what?

QJ_
7 years ago#2
bump

User Info: Manlymike17

Manlymike17
7 years ago#3
Go to Control Panel --> Hardware ---> Update Device Drivers. Click Display Adapter and it will show you what your graphics card is. You can either right click it and click update drivers or you can go online and download the most recent update for that card manually.
Brawl Friend Code: 2621-2278-9454 Nickname: Mike
Over 9000!

QJ_
7 years ago#4
>Go to Control Panel --> Hardware ---> Update Device Drivers. Click Display Adapter and it will show you what your graphics card is. You can either right click it and click update drivers or you can go online and download the most recent update for that card manually.

There's no Hardware option in the Control Panel, so I went to My Computer, right clicked and hit Properties, went to the Hardware tab and clicked Device manager. There's no Display Adapter tab to choose from.

There's a tab that says Other devices, and it shows SM Bus Controller and Video Controller (VGA Compatible). I'm pretty sure this is the card. I double clicked it and clicked reinstall drive, but windows said it can't be installed because windows can't find the necessary software.

what do? :(

QJ_
7 years ago#5
bump - help please :(

User Info: dbgager

dbgager
7 years ago#6
Reinstall Drive is not appropriate for your video card. It sound like you where clicking on your HD Controller.

To get to the Device Manager in XP click on Contorl Panel>Performance and Maintenence>System>Hardware>Device Manager

You will see a list of types of hardware here with plus marks next to them. Near the top will be one ( most likely 3rd from the top) labled Display Adapters. Click on the plus mark to reveal your video card. Right Click the video card and you will get a menu. Select Update Driver Software. This will install a driver for that video card.

dbgager
7 years ago#7
Actually referring to your first post..It does not make a whole bunch of sense..XP does not ever reinstall itself on its own. What happened to your computer.

User Info: jackster26

jackster26
7 years ago#8
Go to your computer manufacture's site, download the video drivers off of there, install them, restart. Not too hard.

^( '.' )^

User Info: jackster26

jackster26
7 years ago#9
dgager
Posted 12/20/2010 7:36:05 PM
message detail Reinstall Drive is not appropriate for your video card. It sound like you where clicking on your HD Controller.

To get to the Device Manager in XP click on Contorl Panel>Performance and Maintenence>System>Hardware>Device Manager

You will see a list of types of hardware here with plus marks next to them. Near the top will be one ( most likely 3rd from the top) labled Display Adapters. Click on the plus mark to reveal your video card. Right Click the video card and you will get a menu. Select Update Driver Software. This will install a driver for that video card.

Not if you dont have the driver on your computer and XP does not come preloaded with drivers for GPU's. VGA would also be the video driver, he was correct.

^( '.' )^

dbgager
7 years ago#10
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Cannot Find A Suitable Display Device - Help?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived