• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Zone progression for Northrend?

User Info: kratos_is_god

kratos_is_god
9 years ago#1
I'm alliance this trime around. I've always gone Borean Tundra/DragonBlight/GrizzlyHills/Icecrown

that good? or any better suggestions. i hate lvl 68-76ish
PSN:solidsnake102 WoW current main: Lychiles (Leveling Warlock)
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Andorhal&n=Lychiles

User Info: AMonkey

AMonkey
9 years ago#2
BT/HW>HW/BT>Dragonblight>Grizzly>Zul'Drak gg ur 80.

User Info: Last Vampire

Last Vampire
9 years ago#3
The progression for Northrend isn't really as linear as other areas. If you have any Heirloom items, then you can finish 70-80 with as many as 3.5-4 zones completely untouched.

As for progression, it would probably be better to look at them via their "intended" level range.

Howling Fjord: 68-72
Borean Tundra: 68-72
Dragonblight: 71-74

From there, both of those zones end in quests taking you to Dragonblight. This is the only "real" progression that Blizzard really pushes on you in Northrend, and I feel that it is mostly because of the Wrathgate questline. From there, you will still quests saying "go to this zone and start quests there", but it's not as much of a "hard" push like it is for Dragonblight. So from Dragonblight, you have the following.

Grizzly Hills: 73-75
Zul'drak: 74-77
Sholazar Basin: 75-77

From there, you can go to either Storm Peaks or Icecrown to finish. They both feature about the same level range, 77-80. I'd do Storm Peaks myself, as there is a ridiculously long quest chain (30+ quests.. it's long) that unlocks a faction and a set of dailies.

Of course, if you have even one piece of Heirloom gear with +10% EXP, you'll probably be at 80 by the end of your 4th zone, or at least the middle of the 5th (if you're starting from 68).

When I was leveling my warrior with just the +10% Exp shoulders, I went Borean > Fjord > DB > GH >Zul'drak, and I was at 80 after about 10 quests in Icecrown. That left me with nearly all of Icecrown, all of Storm Peaks, and all of Sholazar to do at 80 for gold.
Last Vampire. ~If you're sad then it's time you spoke up too.

User Info: Amakusa

Amakusa
9 years ago#4
If you've done the run to 80 before you shouldn't do every quest in the zone; only the ones that will help you later.

Do Howling Fjord first, do the initial zone quests up to the ones that unlock the Utgarde Keep dungeon quests. Then do the Ka'luak quests in full.

Do Borean Tundra. Do Coldarra in its entirety to unlock the Nexus dungeon quests. Do Ka'luak quests until you get to Revered (or close to it, there's easier ones in Dragonblight), and do the quests that lead up to and include finishing Temple City of Enkil'ah.

Run Utgarde Keep and Nexus at least once WITH the dungeon quests.

Do the majority of Dragonblight. The Goblin quests in the north area are optional, but nearly all the quests are important for something (Kirin Tor, Wyrmrest Accord, Ka'luak, Wrathgate).

By the time you do all those you should be Honored with Kirin Tor and Wyrmrest Accord, and Revered with Ka'luak. When you hit Lv.76 go to the Ka'luak vendor and buy a blue chest, and go back to the vendors for all three when you hit Lv. 78.

After that I recommend skipping Grizzly Hills and Sholozar Basin and hit Zul'drak for the Argent Crusade and Ebon Blade rep, both of which are in the lower areas. You could optionally unlock the Drak'Theron keep quests in Grizzly Hills, and probably a good idea to do the same for the flight point in Sholozar. If you intend to do Frenzyheart or Oracles, then stop by in Sholozar.

Once you hit Lv.77 go directly to Icecrown and do the quests to unlock Crusader Pinnacle and Shadow Vault, and start up the Argent Tournament quests. Then if you think you need shoulder enchants later go to Storm Peaks and do the entire Sons of Hodir questline, but only that. By then you should have enough dailies unlocked to not have to worry about anything else.
I will rule the world, and find that truly good cup of coffee.

User Info: Wyrmwarrior5

Wyrmwarrior5
9 years ago#5
Only non-bad progression:
Completely finish both Howling Fjord and Borean Tundra.
Finish Dragonblight.
Finish Grizzly Hills.
Hit level 80 in Zul'drak, and have three entire zones to quest in to get thousands of gold.
Commas save lives every day. Example 1: "Let's eat grandpa!"
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Turalyon&n=Eiseva

User Info: blank_case

blank_case
9 years ago#6
I leveled a toon from 68 to 80 a couple weeks ago, and I went tundra -> ONLY wrathgate questchain in DB (for lulz) -> all of ZD. Keep in mind I was also AV leveling, and would quest while in the queue.
Blank Case, bringing you idiocy since 1990
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k265/PopRocksAndSoda_2006/blank_case.jpg

User Info: somberfox

somberfox
9 years ago#7

Only non-bad progression:
Completely finish both Howling Fjord and Borean Tundra.
Finish Dragonblight.
Finish Grizzly Hills.
Hit level 80 in Zul'drak, and have three entire zones to quest in to get thousands of gold.

I don't know how you can manage to hit 80 in Zul'drak.
I leveled two characters to 80 (one with 10% xp heirloom) and both times I dinged 80 early on in Storm Peaks, completely finishing all lower leveled zones before it including both BT and HF.

User Info: InfiniteFSora

InfiniteFSora
9 years ago#8
Even on chars with no heirlooms and going in at 68, I was at 72/73 by the time I finished HF/BT, and 76/77 by the time I finished Dragonblight. Do the dungeon quests for Nexus/UK/AN.
Pokemon Diamond FC = 4768-5071-5663, (Shen)
Brawl FC = 2878-9248-0034

User Info: AMonkey

AMonkey
9 years ago#9

I don't know how you can manage to hit 80 in Zul'drak.
I leveled two characters to 80 (one with 10% xp heirloom) and both times I dinged 80 early on in Storm Peaks, completely finishing all lower leveled zones before it including both BT and HF.

My maingot to 80 before finishing Grizzly hills but I had done the Ebon Blade Zul Drak quests+Icecrown Ebon blades. No heirloom exp.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Zone progression for Northrend?
  • Topic Archived