• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Common.mpq error

User Info: SimplyDemented

SimplyDemented
10 years ago#1
My game just stated acting up today (ironically I took the day off just to relax and play games/watch movies). It keeps saying WoW.exe is corrupt and the source of the problem seems to be common.mpq.

I looked it up online and this apparently happens a lot to people. I tried archiving the file, and error checking the hard drive. I have plenty of HDD space and pretty sure all my ram is working fine (I keep trying to burn a ram testing software, but after two DLs the Microsoft software keeps giving a "cant locate file" error).

In short, I'm getting very aggravated. Is my last hope a complete reinstall?
WoW: Kreig 69 Shadow Priest / Amano 48 Fury Warrior
Xbox Live: SimplyDemented1 ~ BF2: SimplyDemented

User Info: sicNME

sicNME
10 years ago#2
i seen this happen to a pc once, it did turn out to be something very odd. but for you, turn off your pc and reseat your memory. try again.

if no luck, try the repair tool, make sure to make a copy of the patches and such.

you said you did error checking on your hdd? no errors? check to make sure your fams are working in your pc. all of them. the pc i saw this error on i couldnt ever figure out what was wrong. turned out the northbridge chip fan stopped working, which damaged the chip just enough to cause it to not work and it gave that similar error.

anyways, look at the small things like that. and if all else fails, uninstall/reinstall.
Game experience may change during online play.

User Info: SimplyDemented

SimplyDemented
10 years ago#3
I tried all those things. I also read the blizzard error checking thing won't work on the file as it's too big. The one thing I didn't check though was the ram since I couldn't get the testing program to burn.

I figured swapping the ram out one at a time would be less painful than a full reinstall, and sure enough, it seems to be working when I leave the last stick out. Since I'm still on a 32 bit OS, doesn't really hurt me either... so I guess i'm good.

Thanks for the help :)
WoW: Kreig 69 Shadow Priest / Amano 48 Fury Warrior
Xbox Live: SimplyDemented1 ~ BF2: SimplyDemented

User Info: sicNME

sicNME
10 years ago#4
yeah my bad i forgot to say after you reseat your ram and try it, try removing each stick one at a time and try it.

but you got it. sorry i couldnt have been of much more help. glad to hear your back on crack again.
Game experience may change during online play.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Common.mpq error
  • Topic Archived