• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Mario Sunshine
  3. Perhaps the greatest game of all time

User Info: cowgod

cowgod
6 months ago#1
Discuss.

User Info: SkynyrdRocker

SkynyrdRocker
6 months ago#2
Nah, camera gets in your way sometimes

cowgod
6 months ago#3
Never got in my way in any of my playthroughs, including several 100% runs.

User Info: kvmer

kvmer
6 months ago#4
I really, really disagree. And I'm probably one of the biggest Mario videogame series fans out there.

I absolutely love the atmosphere and the setting of the game. But it's also probably the only Mario game that's unpolished. For SM64, that was acceptable at the time. For Sunshine, not so much.

There's a severe lack of content too, with only 7 actual stages. And half of the 8 regular Shine missions per level, are extremely uninspired and downright tedious. Collect 8 red coins, usually twice per level (sometimes 4 if you count secret shines). Chase shadow Mario. Then usually 1 or 2 Shines with awful controls, such as the underwater shines in Noki Bay.

Even collecting 100 coins in a level is now tedious, while that was actually fun in SM64. In Gelato Beach for instance, where you need to destroy the same watermelons over and over again to get coins, where you have to jump on all quacks and hose down birds... There's just too many poorly thought out shines out there, simply because the game was obviously rushed.

And then the blue coins... I don't have anything against collectibles, but these were poorly implemented at best.

To each his own of course. But the awful camera, often poor controls and the amount of glitches (such as randomly falling through floors) pretty much objectively prevents this game from coming anywhere near the title of "best game of all-time".
(edited 6 months ago)

User Info: Demon1050

Demon1050
5 months ago#5
kvmer posted...
I really, really disagree. And I'm probably one of the biggest Mario videogame series fans out there.

I absolutely love the atmosphere and the setting of the game. But it's also probably the only Mario game that's unpolished. For SM64, that was acceptable at the time. For Sunshine, not so much.

There's a severe lack of content too, with only 7 actual stages. And half of the 8 regular Shine missions per level, are extremely uninspired and downright tedious. Collect 8 red coins, usually twice per level (sometimes 4 if you count secret shines). Chase shadow Mario. Then usually 1 or 2 Shines with awful controls, such as the underwater shines in Noki Bay.

Even collecting 100 coins in a level is now tedious, while that was actually fun in SM64. In Gelato Beach for instance, where you need to destroy the same watermelons over and over again to get coins, where you have to jump on all quacks and hose down birds... There's just too many poorly thought out shines out there, simply because the game was obviously rushed.

And then the blue coins... I don't have anything against collectibles, but these were poorly implemented at best.

To each his own of course. But the awful camera, often poor controls and the amount of glitches (such as randomly falling through floors) pretty much objectively prevents this game from coming anywhere near the title of "best game of all-time".

Absolutely 100% agreed.

I too love the tropical atmosphere. The water effects are absolutely beautiful for 2002, it's so relaxing swimming around in the Coral reef in Gelato bay it's almost like you're there.

The camera is incredibly awful, I just played through and got 115 stars this month and I'm fighting the god damn thing constantly. People b**** about Mario 64's camera, but this is one is far worse. I didn't have any problems with the controls, at least... Other than Pachinko machine and the garbage underwater controls as mentioned.

The classic mario platforming stages had lots of variety and were really fun, even getting the red coins wasn't too bad.

Only having 7 stages sucks. Corona mountain sucks. The final boss is..uhh...what the hell?

Other than that I like the game, it's fun to play through. I would give it a 7.5 of 10.

cowgod
5 months ago#6
Why does Corona Mountain get so much hate? It's basically analogous to the Bowser levels in SM64. People seem to expect it to have 8 shines in it for some reason.

I didn't fight the camera but I've always been tolerant of cameras in 3D games for some reason compared to internet posters who are always complaining.

Yes getting 100% is ridiculous but aside from that the game is a TRIUMPH, the one Mario game that truly dared to be different and excelled as a result.

User Info: Jalex23

Jalex23
5 months ago#7
Not a chance.

• Levels are not relevant to story development. You get nothing from them, the only relevant ones are chasing shadow Mario... (and the final level).
  • Shines are irrelevant. Why even care to collect them? After I realized that I stopped making an effort for blue coins.
  • Controls are terrible, oversensitive at best. Don't get me started on FLUDD.
  • Unnecessarily hard. Why are there no checkpoints? Why are there no explanations on what you should do on each level?
  • Most irrelevant music on the series. Its a snooze to listen to it if you haven't make the connection with the game, and even then, its nothing to talk about.

Overall it feels like the developers just got a bunch of mini-games shelved and decided to launch them as a Mario game.

cowgod
5 months ago#8
Counterpoint: Super Mario 64 is just primitive and camera is rubbish, especially in certain specific areas. Galaxy is too gimmicky and and Odyssey is too little, too late. Sunshine is the sweet spot imho, ymmv.

User Info: mrgame_andwatch

mrgame_andwatch
5 months ago#9
Not the greatest game of all time by any means, but one of the best of the Mario series. Some of the best atmosphere and graphics. I LOVE the game, but I will never think its the best ever. There are just far too many games that I think are overall better, or just as good, in the end.

Sunshine will always have a special place in my heart, though. Its definitely up there on my favorites list, probably.
Yohoho.

User Info: action1981

action1981
4 months ago#10
there were fewer worlds than mario 64, but that game had some very small tech demo levels like lava land, clock tower, rainbow ride.... I don't rank these as real levels, they certainly are not above some of sunshine's secret levels

each level in sunshine is a perfectly crafted world.

Add in the secret levels in sunshine, and I don't feel that sunshine offers less than mario 64.
no physical / download required / online needed = no buy
  1. Boards
  2. Super Mario Sunshine
  3. Perhaps the greatest game of all time
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A