• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Mario Sunshine
  3. I'm having a hard time getting into this :/

User Info: Crohnos

Crohnos
7 months ago#1
So I’ve played 64, Galaxy, and Odyssey (the latter being my favorite). I was excited to play Sunshine for the first time, but something just doesn’t feel right about it that I can’t put my finger on exactly. I almost get a Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts vibe from the “meh” town hub world and the FLUDD taking over traditional Mario gameplay.

I’ve only gotten to the third level, and so the story has barely progressed, but I don’t find myself captivated to play. It also doesn’t help that I don’t care for water or beach levels in Mario games, and this seems to be almost exclusively that from what I’ve seen.

Does it get better? Is there a chance I’ll change my mind and start to really enjoy it?
Horror game enthusiast (97 completed)

User Info: JB_17

JB_17
6 months ago#2
As far as the scenery, it doesn't get that much different save the Hotel Delfino and Pianta Village.

This game is not for everyone, though. It's quite unconventional in a lot of areas for a Mario game. If you can't get into it, it's ok. Feel free to take a break or set it aside if you like.
Switch FC: SW-6489-8682-1494
PSN: XxJB42xX

User Info: stargazer64

stargazer64
6 months ago#3
Yeah it just feels off. Like it was made by a different company. The level design is annoying on purpose. It's just not a very good game, which makes me sad because I love almost every Mario platformer
"Why must it always be pandemonium?!"

User Info: mabber_III

mabber_III
6 months ago#4
No, it only gets worse. corona mountain is the worst part. and collecting all the blue coins without a guide is a nightmare

Crohnos
6 months ago#5
Well s***. I had no idea this was how people felt about this game. For some reason I thought it was acclaimed.

Do I need to collect all the blue coins or can I get some minimal number of shine sprites to get through to the end of the story?

User Info: The_Juice_

The_Juice_
6 months ago#6
You need 60 shines to be able to start the end game. You can do it with 0 blue coins but enough are easy to get to you might as well snag the ones you see.
Difference in men & women: http://i.imgur.com/kHCwK2p.jpg
Broncos l Raptors l Dodgers l Maple Leafs l UCLA

User Info: JB_17

JB_17
6 months ago#7
Adding onto that, you are also required to have up to Episode 7 done in each level (all are a Shadow Mario chase). After that, Corona Mountain will be unlocked and you can finish the game.
Switch FC: SW-6489-8682-1494
PSN: XxJB42xX

Crohnos
6 months ago#8
Yeahhh screw that. I don’t think I can stomach that much from the areas I’ve already been to. That’s a shame

User Info: silktail

silktail
6 months ago#9
The_Juice_ posted...
You need 60 shines to be able to start the end game. You can do it with 0 blue coins but enough are easy to get to you might as well snag the ones you see.
60 Shines? Is that a new condition added to the Switch version?

In the GameCube version the end area becomes available with all 7th Episode shine sprites, from the 7 Areas.
(So a minimum of 50 Shines usually, although 49 is possible.)
---
(edited 6 months ago)

User Info: exile2000

exile2000
6 months ago#10
Sunshine has always been a divided game.

Haaaaaaaaadouken!
  1. Boards
  2. Super Mario Sunshine
  3. I'm having a hard time getting into this :/
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A