• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Mario Sunshine
  3. Was the last area of the game Corona Mountain rushed in this game?

User Info: Darunia336

Darunia336
11 months ago#1
I like Mario Sunshine but there are parts of the game that I really dislike and would not want to ever replay again. For example that horrible boat section near the end of the game. Was there a proper way to control that boat? Because I had a very hard time with it when I was a kid. Also sort of unrelated that pachinko stage sucked lol.

User Info: Simon33333

Simon33333
9 months ago#2
The thing is boat reacts differently depending on where you are standing. It does actually make sense but it's difficult.
I can't think of a signature!

User Info: iToro86

iToro86
8 months ago#3
I just got done replaying the game. The problem with the boat is that it only takes one hit to sink. The controls don't help, of course, but it only took me a couple tries to do.

I didn't bother with the blue coins until after I beat Bowser, and I think by the end of that I finally picked up on controlling the boat.
"Let me explain something to you, Walsh, this business requires a certain amount of finesse." -J.J. Gittes

User Info: Demon1050

Demon1050
8 months ago#4
^ yeah, pretty much required to get good at the boat to get those blue coins.

Corona Mountain feels like a demo-level to me. Generic platforming, boat sucks, crappy rocket part. Very disappointing and not fun.

User Info: Duarte_Caz

Duarte_Caz
6 months ago#5
Corona Mountain is very disappointing.
But the pachinko machine stage was beyond horrible, it's true. It was unbearable, I just gave up after about 20 tries and never came back to it.

User Info: PatrilotIV

PatrilotIV
6 months ago#6
Corona Mountain was hella rushed. Very disappointing, and the boat controls are atrocious.
XBL: xAlgolx
3DS: FC- 3093-7642-9379

User Info: Super Slash

Super Slash
6 months ago#7
It was rushed, yes. It was supposed to have 8 missions like any other level.

User Info: kaizoisevil

kaizoisevil
5 months ago#8
If you stand at the back of the boat, then the direction your squirt is actually the direction the boat turns. It's opposite for the front of the boat. For that reason, I'd stick to the back of the boat and use that to easily adjust your vector when moving. Don't go too fast. This ain't the lilypad level.

User Info: Jalex23

Jalex23
5 months ago#9
Actually I get what they were trying to do. I'm an engineer and we study dynamics so I have seen that before in several lab experiments.

Anyway... it seems obvious the devs at the time were really, really proud of the engine for reproducing fluid mechanics, therefore the boat is an exact replica of how an actual boat would work if propulsion was given by a squirt like FLUUD. Then how to move it?

If you want to move it forward you need to point the boat front towards the direction you want to go and then squirt exactly on the opposite direction. If you want to turn on one direction then you need to stand on head or tail and the squirt on the opposite direction. Be careful with momentum, if you squirt too hard, the boat gets a lot of it and moves dramatically.

The main problem I see with this as I see with the whole game is that the controls are oversensitive. Squirt a little too much, or not align yourself perfectly in the direction you meant... good luck controlling it.

User Info: flat_tyre

flat_tyre
5 months ago#10
Jalex23 posted...
Actually I get what they were trying to do. I'm an engineer and we study dynamics so I have seen that before in several lab experiments.
Funnily enough, I'm an engineer, too, and I found that I was able to control the boat much more easily when I tried again recently compared to the first time I played. I guess when you're younger the physics seem random and uncontrollable, but after having another go recently I was able to get the boat to do exactly what I wanted first time. So, there's the answer for the people struggling with this level - get an engineering degree!! XD
~ A BOOTS WAS PILFERED! ~
  1. Boards
  2. Super Mario Sunshine
  3. Was the last area of the game Corona Mountain rushed in this game?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A