• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Mario Sunshine
  3. Why is this game hated by many Mario fans?

User Info: PappinAce

PappinAce
5 years ago#1
I've seen a lot of negative talk about Sunshine on these boards. I can't understand why this game gets picked on so much; I thought it had some of the most gorgeous level design in any Mario game, the Delfino Plaza overworld was vibrant and filled with secrets, the physics and visuals were nice, and you got to ride Yoshi! I also love water so I may be biased here, but the seaside theme of the world and all the levels was just awesome and made for a great atmosphere.

What are some of the concrete complaints that people tend to have about this game?
http://pappinace.deviantart.com/

User Info: LinkPrime1

LinkPrime1
5 years ago#2
Blue coins is like 95%of it off something.

But seriously it is a huge gripe.
Well, there is a new accent of n00b language. It's called: Vet LUEser goes Foreign!-MegaSpy22
Those must be the pants of the gods!-Digitalpython

PappinAce
5 years ago#3
Only 24 out of the 120 shines are obtained by trading blue coins, and getting the blue coins itself is something that requires exploration / completion of mini-games. These are things that you would normally do in order to get a shine sprite anyway, only difference is you have to go see a raccoon to complete the trade.

One interesting gripe I saw in a review is that the levels don't evolve like they did in SM64. The entire level is open to you the moment you enter, and for the other shines they just throw a boss in some random area. Is that true? I seem to recall a level (Noki Bay I think) where you discover an entire section underwater where you fight a boss by cleaning its teeth. There's also a hotel in one of the levels (on a beach somewhere) and an underground section in another (Pianta Village?).

User Info: uhohjonah

uhohjonah
5 years ago#4
It's probably my favorite Mario game.

User Info: Tnayoub

Tnayoub
5 years ago#5
Blue coins, unplayable stages due to bad camera.

PappinAce
5 years ago#6
why are blue coins bad again?

User Info: Lanijon

Lanijon
5 years ago#7
PappinAce posted...
why are blue coins bad again?

Because a large handful of them are nearly impossible to find without a guide. The biggest offenders are the ones that only appear during one episode. If you've scanned an area three times already and found nothing, why would you think the outcome would be any different the fourth time, when nothing has changed but the shine you picked at the start? You wouldn't, because that would be garbage game design. Yet that's exactly what they expect. If it's your first time getting them and you don't have a guide, there's no rhyme or reason to the madness, you just have to tediously scour every level 8 different times and hope you didn't miss one in the only mission it's in.

Which leads me to my next point, that they're an artificial challenge and feel too much like superfluous padding. That's a big problem I had with Sunshine in general though. I've always thought it feels like they made a pretty good game with about 60-70 shines, but felt like they needed to match 64's star total for some reason, but they didn't actually have any more ideas and just weighed the game down with boring crap. The blue coin sub-mission would've benefited greatly if there were hints, puzzles, or challenges, but nope, you just run around and spray random things like a madman until you get lucky. It's annoying and not fun.

User Info: falloffcliffman

falloffcliffman
5 years ago#8
I have 67 more blue coins to get. It not telling me what blue coins are left to get or a general indicator of where means I have to go through the entire game again searching for any blue coins I may have missed
The Ice Climbers are attractive. I made an animation of my life: http://tinyurl.com/q24gkj7
My own website! Check it out ;) http://smashsecrets.weebly.com/

PappinAce
5 years ago#9
Because a large handful of them are nearly impossible to find without a guide. The biggest offenders are the ones that only appear during one episode. If you've scanned an area three times already and found nothing, why would you think the outcome would be any different the fourth time, when nothing has changed but the shine you picked at the start? You wouldn't, because that would be garbage game design. Yet that's exactly what they expect. If it's your first time getting them and you don't have a guide, there's no rhyme or reason to the madness, you just have to tediously scour every level 8 different times and hope you didn't miss one in the only mission it's in.

Yeah, this sounds like bad game design. Do you have to get the blue coin shines to beat the game? You say that the game is good if you just play about 70 shines; can you beat it with that amount and leave out the bad blue coin missions?

User Info: Lanijon

Lanijon
5 years ago#10
PappinAce posted...
Yeah, this sounds like bad game design. Do you have to get the blue coin shines to beat the game? You say that the game is good if you just play about 70 shines; can you beat it with that amount and leave out the bad blue coin missions?

Yes, the only thing you technically need to do to beat Bowser is complete episode 7 of each level. So assuming no skips (which there aren't a lot of anyway), you can beat the game with a minimum of 50 shines, and none of them are from blue coins or other filler secret shines.

A lot of people, including myself, like to 100% games though, so Sunshine is pretty frustrating if that's how you usually play.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Mario Sunshine
  3. Why is this game hated by many Mario fans?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A