Won't Run

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: hardcore-gamer5

hardcore-gamer5
7 years ago#1
I just got my computer fixed up and wanted to replay this game but it won't run. As soon as I try to open the game a box opens up that says "Thief: Deadly Shadows has stopped working. Windows is now looking for a solition" or something like that. Does anyone have a solution to this. I tried deleting it and reinstalling but that didn't help. I have the Steam version if that makes a difference.
If you want guarantees, buy a toaster! -Admiral Morrison, Crysis R.I.P.

hardcore-gamer5
7 years ago#2
Bump

hardcore-gamer5
7 years ago#3
I guess this board id dead.

User Info: Tin_Star

Tin_Star
7 years ago#4
Or maybe no one has an answer for you here.Maybe just maybe it would be a good idea to go to the Eidos Thief forum and ask the question to get an answer that will help you get the game going.

Tin Star

User Info: stratx

stratx
7 years ago#5
Maybe I can help but I need to know your machine specs. Multi-core processor I bet.

hardcore-gamer5
7 years ago#6
I do have a multi-core processor, is that actually what the problem is?

stratx
7 years ago#7
Multi-core processors are definitely a problem with the darkengine, which is used in DS.
If it is the only problem you may have, I don't know. But I need you to list your components (second request).
I'm at work now (people think I'm working hard on a proposal right now...heh) and won't be able to post what may resolve your problem until I get home. So post your specs and look for my suggestion around 7:00 -8:00 PM EST.

hardcore-gamer5
7 years ago#8
Vista 32-bit
AMD Phenom 8400 Triple-Core Processor 2.10 GHz
3.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA Geforce GT 240 1 GB graphics card

stratx
7 years ago#9
First know that a fellow named Alex came up with this work-around for which I am very grateful. I have an AMD quad core and this fix did the trick. I am merely passing on Alex's good work.

The problem is to get the game to run on one processor, unfortunately you can't alt/tab out to use the set affinity in the task manager.

This is Alex's solution:

Download process changer:

http://www.beyondlogic.org/consulting/processutil/processutil.htm (scroll down get v 2.03).

Now download sleep utility:

http://www.computerhope.com/download/utility/sleep.exe

Put them both in the thief system directory.

Now open Notepad and copy this in:

sleep.exe 10
process -a t3main.exe 01
process -a t3.exe 01

Go to save as and select All Files as type. Now call the file ?????.bat, were ????? is whatever you want. Put the ?????.bat file in the same directory as t3 and t3main.

Now create a shortcut to this file near wherever you launch thief from. Launch the ?????.bat file. You have 10 seconds to launch Thief.

This solved my multi-core problem

Alex says this process works for other games as well, just change t3main.exe to whatever that program's executable is called.

hardcore-gamer5
7 years ago#10
^Will that work with the Steam version?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived