• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Tales of Destiny II
  3. Started the game again for the first time in 12 years.

User Info: Alltra

Alltra
4 years ago#1
I played and beat the game in 2002 just before I went off to boot camp. I was rushing a bit since I didn't have a lot of time, so it felt like there's a lot of stuff I left undone or missed. I still had my old file though, so I NG+ed and started over, fully intending to do a "perfect" play through...

Well...that unfortunately seems to be a much more difficult task than I'd anticipated. Not so much because the task itself is hard, although it kind of is with all the missables, requirements, and stuff that just plain can't be done legit. The real issue is that information is so scattered and fragmented, which makes it hard to look up anything.

The game itself doesn't really help either. Case in point, the Bestiary. This has got to be the worst organized Bestiary I've ever seen in an RPG. It doesn't seem to be organized in any meaningful way, and it's definitely not organized in a player friendly way.

I will give the game props for the drop system though. The mechanics of Technical Smash make even super rare drops fairly easy to acquire. Not to mention the Craymel Ability that boosts the rate. If you can figure out how to consistently TS the enemy with both in effect, even stuff with a 1% drop seem fairly easy to acquire. That, and fights are fast as hell, which makes farming items even easier due to being able to quickly dispatch enemies.

...but I do have a few questions that I couldn't find the answer to.

-Side Quests, is there a compiled list or guide that covers them, cause the info on them is so scattered it's hard to find. Especially information on when they're available and how to finish them. I found a few, but there are some vague references to others that I can't find info on.

-Exactly how many Lenses are in the game? I know you only need 70 for all the rewards, but I also read there are extras. Is there a comprehensive guide somewhere that covers all of them? I browsed the guides here, and pretty much all of them miss some that others include. I just thought I'd ask in case there was, so I could save myself the trouble of doing it myself.
"Cute" is a kiddy euphemism for "Sexy".
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.

User Info: Triauta

Triauta
4 years ago#2
There is a list of the sidequests at :

http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/psx/tod2/sidequests.shtml.
http://freecruz.blogspot.com.au/2009/11/other-secret-rune-bottle-at-city-of.html
http://freecruz.blogspot.com.au/2009/11/secretside-quest-katrine-pierre-titles.html

There are 60 Lenses in total.

Alltra
4 years ago#3
Thanks.

I did more research and found an FAQ over on the ToE PSP board that had the info I was looking for.

I'm about finished with Disc 1 now, I just want to wrap up a few things. One of those is finding a way to kill the Red Dragon / Phoenix Random Battles. I can take out every other enemy group I can fight, other than the tournament, easily and consistently.

I'm almost 70 at this point, and leveling has become almost unbearably slow, so I thought I might ask for some tips. I'm thinking about trying to farm Sage to boost my HP and give myself a bigger buffer against their insane damage, even with Flare Cape and Inferi Cape.

User Info: VeghEsther

VeghEsther
4 years ago#4
Don't bother instead of farming sages of those red dragon/phoenix's on disc 1 fight them via the Arena battles the one that costs the most gald to end just NOT on disc 1.

That way you can reduce all fire damage to 1 HP per hit with the Flare + Inferia cape both set on Reid and even then the Sages still only have a 1% drop rate.

Then again I beat the entire game on normal mode only around level 65 to 70 but ended disc 1 itself only at level 40 to 50.

Alltra
4 years ago#5
Kind of defeats my purpose if I wait till after Disc 1. Not about efficacy or practicality, it's about doing it because I want to. I was just wondering if peeps had any good ideas that I didn't think of.

VeghEsther
4 years ago#6
Well on disc 2 you can get the Golden Armor/Mumbane equip 1 of the 2 that resists fire damage equip it as well as the Flare Cape + Inferia cape and reduce that fire damage on Reid to 1 HP per hit.

That's why I won't attempt farming the Sages without reducing fire damage to 1 per hit while the others will just die in 1 attack from those same Red Dragons/Phoenixes.

Which is why I suggested farming them via the arena fights and only after Reid can reduce all fire damage to 1 per hit that and on disc 2 you can fight Maxwell beat the craymel once he's fightable set the Item Plus effect and still have it kick in against the arena fights to farm sages etc.

But I ended disc 1 only at level 40 so I didn't have any chances of winning the arena fights on normal mode at all.

Besides it would take over 100 Sages or the Red Sages at level 70 to boost 3000 max HP to 9999 HP even on just Reid alone.

Not worth it but at double those 70 levels all party members will hit 9999 HP and 999 TP.

Alltra
4 years ago#7
Just to be clear, my intent isn't farming Sages, although I seem to be getting at least 1 every 4 fights against Axe Beak on average.

My intent is to build my strength sufficiently to defeat Red Dragon and Phoenix encounters around Farlos on a consistent basis before I leave Inferia.

I've managed to pull that off with every other non-tournament enemy so far. Hell, I can even handle the City and National Tournaments consistently now that I'm in my 70's on Hardcore. I farmed up some nice equipment drops from said Tournaments, which has helped.

Right now though, I still can't quite beat them. I've come close a few times, but close isn't my goal. I want to go in and whoop them without much fear of dying, on a consistent basis.

VeghEsther
4 years ago#8
Well the only way I could do that is to reduce damage to 1 per fire spell on Reid and owning a ice based weapon which isn't buyable until disc 2.

But on hardcore mode I only ended disc 1 at level 55 to 60 and theirs no way I'd fight the tournament on hardcore (mania mode) without owning the said ice sword on disc 2.

But theirs no way I'd fight the Red Dragons/Phoenix outside of Mt Farlos even on normal mode without owning the ice sword on disc 2 either.

Alltra
4 years ago#9
I managed to pull it off at level 73...kind of. It's not effortless like the rest, but I can win consistently, and I managed to fill out the item drops too for my bestiary.

After that, I went and beat the World Tournament Round. Pain in the ass to do, but I managed it, and I got lucky as hell and managed to get all their drops to fill in the bestiary after 2 additional attempts. Lucky, because I can barely win the Tournament, so repeating it right now to farm drops is agony. I think it took me an hour to get those two wins, and tons of replays. Second and third rounds are brutal.

I'm not going to bother with Cless yet. I lasted all of maybe 10-15 seconds against him and Arche. Come back later with better gear.

User Info: The_Lourde

The_Lourde
4 years ago#10
Cool. I'm replaying for the first time in a few years, about at the same spot but only L37-38 or so. Mastering recipes before heading on to disc 2, I'll probably wait until later to do the tournament--at least until I've unlocked Burning Phoenix.
I don't like to THINK of myself as a metagamer, but I do have metagaming tendencies...
  1. Boards
  2. Tales of Destiny II
  3. Started the game again for the first time in 12 years.
  • Topic Archived