• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
  3. Where did the Tyson code come from?

User Info: SLEDGEHAMMER

SLEDGEHAMMER
2 months ago#1
The game doesn't give us that code right?
Did one of the nintendo people give it to us or did somebody figure it out?

User Info: brian sulpher

brian sulpher
2 months ago#2
I am pretty sure Nintendo let that one out into the wild, years ago.
www.youtube.com/brisulph www.twitch.tv/brisulph
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MORPSstxACw

User Info: smurfsn1p3r

smurfsn1p3r
2 months ago#3
Nintendo Power!
Any problems with me buying digital, then by all means send me Physical copies of the games you do not want me to own digitally

SLEDGEHAMMER
2 months ago#4
smurfsn1p3r posted...
Nintendo Power!
Sounds like a good guess, a better one would be Nintendo Fun Club, I don't have the first two Nintendo Power magazines or the Fun Club issues to confirm

SLEDGEHAMMER
1 month ago#5
smurfsn1p3r posted...
Nintendo Power!

Yes I finally found a reasonably priced copy of Nintendo Power #11 mar/apr 90
This was the second issue I received after getting a Nintendo that Christmas and although I'm not sure I believe my neighbor had this code well before then

CLASSIFIED INFORMATION
from Agent #035
"The rumor is true.....We've waited to let you know so that you would have a chance to get to Iron Mike on your own"

Over two years after the game comes out. Nintendo Power was notorious for this kind of thing in the beginning, I also got myself issue 4,5,6, and 7 of Nintendo Fun Club News, the openly intentional lack of information is insulting.

User Info: sdkess

sdkess
1 month ago#6
I remember a kid at school telling me the code in 1989 so it was circulating before the above mentioned Nintendo Power reveal. A good guess would be that the Nintendo phone counselors gave it out to callers.
"When will then be now? Soon."

User Info: jedisamurai

jedisamurai
1 month ago#7
The first I saw the Tyson code was from a book called How To Win at Nintendo Games by Jeff Rovin. I know I didn't have it in 1988 (probably came across it in 1990/1991) but a search shows the publishing date of that book as 1988.

I'm guessing the code was an open secret not too long after release. After all, the appeal of buying the game was to fight Mike Tyson, and I'm sure it helped sales to reassure people theyd actually be able to fight him and not be stuck long before they got the chance.

User Info: mitsguy2001

mitsguy2001
1 month ago#8
I thought that it was in the first Nintendo Power issue, from July / August 1988. It may have been reprinted in March / April 1990 when the Mr. Dream version was released. It was also in that Jeff Rovin book that was mentioned, but I don't know which came first. Jeff Rovin often copied from Nintendo Power, so I'm guessing the Nintendo Power issue came first.

I always found it strange that when you beat Super Macho Man, the code that you get has you fight Super Macho Man again, rather than Tyson. When you beat the other circuits, the code lets you fight the next boxer (Don Flamenco 1 or Piston Honda 2), not the boxer that you just beat (Piston Honda 1 or Bald Bull 1).

SLEDGEHAMMER
1 month ago#9
mitsguy2001 posted...
I thought that it was in the first Nintendo Power issue, from July / August 1988. It may have been reprinted in March / April 1990 when the Mr. Dream version was released. It was also in that Jeff Rovin book that was mentioned, but I don't know which came first. Jeff Rovin often copied from Nintendo Power, so I'm guessing the Nintendo Power issue came first.

I always found it strange that when you beat Super Macho Man, the code that you get has you fight Super Macho Man again, rather than Tyson. When you beat the other circuits, the code lets you fight the next boxer (Don Flamenco 1 or Piston Honda 2), not the boxer that you just beat (Piston Honda 1 or Bald Bull 1).

No I got the first issue yesterday, it has the code for Another World Circuit

SLEDGEHAMMER
1 month ago#10
jedisamurai posted...
The first I saw the Tyson code was from a book called How To Win at Nintendo Games by Jeff Rovin. I know I didn't have it in 1988 (probably came across it in 1990/1991) but a search shows the publishing date of that book as 1988.

I'm guessing the code was an open secret not too long after release. After all, the appeal of buying the game was to fight Mike Tyson, and I'm sure it helped sales to reassure people theyd actually be able to fight him and not be stuck long before they got the chance.

I got an early copy of How To Win At Nintendo and sure enough as advertised on back the code is inside
  1. Boards
  2. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
  3. Where did the Tyson code come from?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A