You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. DOOM (1993)
  3. What mods are you playing right now? - Super Serious Part IV

User Info: Esuriat

Esuriat
2 years ago#1
For some reason I was thinking topics archived after two weeks, but I guess it's twelve days. The original Part IV locked on the 26th and I was thinking about just abandoning this given how little anyone is posting anymore, but nah. I'm still playing and GameFAQs should still have some semblance of a Doom community still going.

Anyway, I'm finally playing Memento Mori. I just completed MAP20. I've had a few false starts with this megawad, but I'm finally dashing through at a good pace. It's giving me a decent taste of what the pinnacle of community maps was at the time, and it does have a distinct 1996 quality. By that I mean that while it looks pretty nice, it's not overly complex and there are several mapping errors to be found. A few have pissed me off and blocked me from completing levels. One uncouth sort of map in particular, MAP12: Kinetics, was really unpleasant to play. The traps and frequent damaging floors can get annoying, like MAP13 even starting the player on one.

All things considered, though, I'm enjoying it. It isn't too challenging so far, with my only death coming on MAP15 from one of those aforementioned traps. Some 15 hitscan enemies packed into a small area between me and the escape on the opposite side of the room. Oh well.
Essy

Esuriat
2 years ago#2
And my computer completely fails a couple of days after I post this. I won't be playing for a little while, but I'll be keeping this topic bumped if necessary.

I'm positive I'll have a new computer by October. Of course, when that happens I may not be playing Doom much for other reasons.
Essy

User Info: DaemMkIV7

DaemMkIV7
2 years ago#3
Doom community is still strong but in here it's not the case..

But most forums sans maybe Doomworld are strict and are not keen on threads like these and they see it as a way to earn postcount. Granted, there are some users who post silly stuff..

And after seeing your problem, I really think I should buy another or two hard-drives since my PC only has one and if that fails then my files, .wads are good as dead.

Lastly, Resurgence is hard. Damn Archvile ambushes.
"I'll send in detectives! I'll send in police! I'll send in EVERYTHING IN MY POWER!!!"

Esuriat
2 years ago#4
Ah, I see Resurgence was done by Josh Sealy. I tend to associate him with absurdly difficult maps, so I'm not surprised!

And yeah, fortunately the hard drive of my computer is still going strong. I've been using a hand-me-down gaming laptop that I worked on to get usable again. I got two years out of it (all for no expense to me!), but overheating continued to be a problem and GPUs got irreparably damaged last November and have suffered a slow decline since.

I'm finally going to be laying down for a full, high-end gaming computer this time.
Essy

Esuriat
2 years ago#5
Save

I've resumed with Memento Mori since I managed to get the old computer functional again.
Essy

Esuriat
2 years ago#6
Quick-Save
Essy

Esuriat
2 years ago#7
I guess I'm save-scumming at this point
Essy

User Info: DaemMkIV7

DaemMkIV7
2 years ago#8
I tried Sgt.MarkIV's vehicle combat and it's pretty fun. I hope he expands the whole mod more and people create some maps for it.

Also, back in the day someone also made a "vehicles" mod but you can only choose at the character selection screen. It's weapons are pretty strong too but most of the vehicles are handicapped in mobility. Some of them can't jump or strafe, and some of them are slow. Still, some guys there are pretty powerful. It's called Alando's Vehicles.

I actually combined the two and ditched the rideable vehicles in Sgt.MarkIV's mod and the weapons from Alando's Vehicles can stomp the vehicle enemies from Sgt. Mark IV's mod. The minigun can render choppers helpless, the ultimate weapon can kill everyone in 1-2 shots, the only payback is it doesn't have much ammo but that won't even be a problem. Flamethrowers can turn tanks into a flaming heap of junk in less than 10 seconds since they can rip through and since the enemies are pretty big, they take a lot of damage from it. And you have a railgun to pick off enemies and especially choppers from far away.

It really gives off an RA2 and GTA vibes for me.
"I'll send in detectives! I'll send in police! I'll send in EVERYTHING IN MY POWER!!!"
(edited 2 years ago)

Esuriat
2 years ago#9
I think the only Doom mod I've played with vehicles was this one "Doom City" map that included stuff like an arcade and a training ground where you could spawn in any number of monsters you wanted. The only vehicle was a car that you could drive around, and I believe you could crash it and make it explode.

But those sound pretty cool. I'll give them a play.
Essy

Esuriat
2 years ago#10
Bump bump rocket jump
Essy
  1. Boards
  2. DOOM (1993)
  3. What mods are you playing right now? - Super Serious Part IV