You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. Final Fantasy Restored and Rebalanced Classes/Teams:
Titanium69 4 months ago#1
I’ve played through Astral’s amazing hack a few times now and I can’t even begin to pick a favourite class or party.

The three melee classes are different, but similar in ability. They each have times when they seem to be the best. I wouldn’t know how to choose between them.

The Red Mage is solid all the way through, but a little lacking late in the game while the White Mage seems to be the opposite. The Black Mage is pretty useful throughout the game.

The best party would probably involve four different characters and likely not a Red Mage. Otherwise, I haven’t been able to choose. What does everyone think?

BTW Astral, If the goal of the game is to balance the classes, mission accomplished.
DamageInc 4 months ago#2
I haven't played the postgame, so my experience is limited to the point where the original game ends.

I picked Fi, BB, Th, RM, and all of them felt very strong.

I'd like to try Th/RM/WM/BM next. I suspect having Th in front will lead to many more pre-emptive strikes (or at least far fewer ambushes) which will offset the damage the tank would normally deflect from the mages. RM is shockingly tanky and also shockingly good at melee attacks—they're a natural candidate for very strong weapons all throughout the run. I would feel better about having the dedicated WM/BM for a postgame run, because spell charges were becoming a serious problem with my first party.
OMG YOU CAN UNEQUIP ITEMS
FRABJOUS DAY
rchassereau3141 4 months ago#3
I'm playing as fighter thief white mage black mage and everyone feels useful and strong in their role. Magic seems much better than I'm used to, really curious about the endgame and thinking it will be a strong group.
DamageInc 4 months ago#4
My plan to get fewer ambushes / more first strikes by putting a thief in front isn't working super well. I'm in the mithril cave near Pravoka, and I'm getting ambushed left and right.

I feel like this Th/RM/WM/BM party might struggle a bit until both Th and RM get more hits. I might also rush class change (last time I waited until after Volcano to do it) since the Ninja is a really huge upgrade from the thief gear-wise.
FRABJOUS DAY
(edited 4 months ago)
beege_man 3 months ago#5
You may be interested to know that Preemptive/Ambush chance is determined by ALL party members in Rebalanced, so putting the Thief up front doesn't help any more than having a Thief in the 2nd or 3rd slot.

Reading through the list of bug fixes/enhancements in the Readme or in the Rebalanced topic may be helpful to catch little things like this.
L44 482/482 9/9/9/8/8/8/8/7 Int/MDef: 58/106
HDCEA: 116-111-106/51-53-46/3-4-6.5/83/43(37) Resist: Ice/(Fire)/(Lit)/Death AtkElem: Ice-Fire-Coral
(edited 3 months ago)
DamageInc 3 months ago#6
beege_man posted...
You may be interested to know that Preemptive/Ambush chance is determined by ALL party members in Rebalanced, so putting the Thief up front doesn't help any more than having a Thief in the 2nd or 3rd slot.

Reading through the list of bug fixes/enhancements in the Readme or in the Rebalanced topic may be helpful to catch little things like this.

Thanks! I read through it twice and also brought it up as a question in the thread, but there was enough going on that I must have missed it.

I also looked through the patch notes included with the patch itself, and didn't see this mentioned anywhere. Perhaps it's in the notes for the original remaster patch?

Appreciate it!
FRABJOUS DAY
(edited 3 months ago)
beege_man 3 months ago#7
Hmm, I thought it was in the patch notes, but maybe not. It's definitely listed here at the start of the Rebalanced topic though:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/522595-final-fantasy/78701259

See Post 2, Mechanics changes, third bullet.
L44 482/482 9/9/9/8/8/8/8/7 Int/MDef: 58/106
HDCEA: 116-111-106/51-53-46/3-4-6.5/83/43(37) Resist: Ice/(Fire)/(Lit)/Death AtkElem: Ice-Fire-Coral
DamageInc 3 months ago#8
beege_man posted...
Hmm, I thought it was in the patch notes, but maybe not. It's definitely listed here at the start of the Rebalanced topic though:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/522595-final-fantasy/78701259

See Post 2, Mechanics changes, third bullet.

Cool, thank you! I'll look at those, I'm very curious to see the details.
FRABJOUS DAY
Armagon3650 3 months ago#9
I just found out about this. No one told me, glad I kept checking. I'm so excited to try it out. I just did a playthrough of restored a few days ago.
Armagon3650 3 months ago#10
I wanted to try some of the weaker classes to witness the "balancing" so I used a (Th, WM, BM,) and RM.
Thoughts: I haven't gone very far yet I just arrived in Elfland.
  1. The UI seems much nicer. The ability to sort spells is truly epic. I like the icons next to the elements and categories as well. It's nice to be able to forget spells too.
  2. Someone was just saying a couple of days ago that the Marsh was the most tedious part. I gave it some thought and concluded that the best way to address this would probably be to add another area since there is so much happening, in the beginning, you need a ton of gold. I see you did just that and it gives a free broadsword, so again very nice.
  3. The gameplay: It's obvious that the difficulty has been increased slightly. I feel like the surprise battles are a bit high(which is the norm). The thief is at best underwhelming. His array of weapons still seems pathetically poor. Despite having the highest accuracy out of my entire party he seems to miss the most(so much that I began to wonder if sth is wrong or was it just fluke chance). His damage is laughable even at 2 hits he deals less than a white mage. His evasion is pretty sad I don't see him dodging more than anyone else not really which makes him a poor choice for a party leader (and I feel like someone besides just fighters should be able to fill that role)
  4. The white mage: He seems to have greater damage than before and Mages seem to be able to equip better armor in the early stage( knocking the chainmail down 5 points was also a great idea IMO). I still feel he is rather weak I had to use most of the spells to heal which meant when I did finally see a group of undead that I had been looking for I was only able to use dia once and it didn't even kill all of them.
  5. Damage magic seems great (so far). Sleep seemed to be a bit more useful than the original as well which is nice
  6. All in all the changes I've seen thus far are staggering, 4 thumbs up, but as far as "balancing the classes" I feel the Thief still got the short end of the stick and he is the one that probably needed the most revision.

I just got the huge lump of Gold for the mythril woohoo. Time to go shopping yea

(edited 3 months ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. Final Fantasy Restored and Rebalanced Classes/Teams:

GameFAQs Q&A