• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. 4 Black Mage Challenge No Magic - #2
Jay_Shaw 1 month ago#51
BareknuckleRoo - I guess I mainly just asked due to how insane the difficulty of a solo Thief challenge with no class change sounds for this game. That YouTube background screen with all of the dead Thief images is pretty hilarious, by the way...

pugsly8422 - Good job taking out the Wizards, and good luck with Astos!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

--Jay
Jay_Shaw posted...
This is probably a dumb question, but is the Solo Thief challenge strictly a solo "Thief" challenge exclusively (meaning without class change), or is the character allowed to become a Ninja as the playthrough progresses?
I may be in the minority here, but I’m with those who think Solo Thief challenge allows for class change.
Challenges usually list all of their restrictions, and getting class change is a normal thing to do while progressing through the game. So it is normal for a Thief to become a Ninja during a regular play through. If you are using a Thief that cannot change to a Ninja, that is part of a challenge, and I would definitely call that challenge: Solo Thief No Class Change.
Calling a challenge Solo Ninja sounds weird to me since you can’t select a Ninja at the start of the game. I would be wondering if the person is playing a hacked version to allow class changed characters from the start.
I know there’s definitely room for interpretation on this since the challenge says Thief, and that name changes throughout the game, but this is definitely the way I see it.
I've done Solo Thief and Solo Thief No Class Change (reloaded my save before turning Ninja and finished the game with a Thief) and by far the most difficult part was Astos, so it doesn’t really matter all that much. Thief has a little trouble in the ToFR, but the Masamune makes Chaos bearable.

Anyway, congrats on beating the wizards. Good luck on Astos, and then better luck on Lich!

pugsly8422 1 month ago#53
Astos has been defeated at level 18! Surprisingly it only took about 15-20 tries. If someone died from the first rub spell I would just reset. Obviously it was a fight of little skill since I just kept attacking until I got favorable results from Astos's attacks and spells.

The craziest thing about the fight was that nobody was killed, even with all of the elemental attacks from Astos. In the end everyone had single or double digit hit points, so we definitely got lucky!

Everyone is close to gaining their next level so we're going to get that and then grab any treasures (other than the Power Staff and mandatory items I'm not sure there is much I need to get).

So the next steps:

1) get to level 19
2) get the Power Staff and TNT
3) buy Silver Bracelets for everyone
4) head to Crescent Lake and get Silver Knives
5) start leveling, the only question is to what level?
pugsly8422 posted...
Surprisingly it only took about 15-20 tries
Talk about perseverance
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
Pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism Floccinaucinihilipilification
Everyone is close to gaining their next level so we're going to get that and then grab any treasures (other than the Power Staff and mandatory items I'm not sure there is much I need to get).

There's two Silver Knives you can get immediately after beating Astos in places you need to visit anyways (Corneria Castle and the Dwarf Cave). The only other noteworthy item available for your team would be a Silver Bracelet in the Marsh Cave guarded by a group of Cobras, which is way too much effort considering you can buy them for relatively cheaply at Melmond!
Jay_Shaw 1 month ago#56
Congratulations on finally managing to stab Astos to death! Looking forward to hearing which enemies you decide to fight to gain levels - how high do you think you need to get your mages before attempting to get through the Earth Cave?

--Jay
pugsly8422 1 month ago#57
I think everyone is going to level up (primarily on Crescent Island enemies and Earth's) to level 26 because that is a strong hp level. As long as we continue getting Strength and Vitality at each level, I'm hoping the strong hp level at 26 will be enough to get the job done.

As of now we have tried leveling on Earth's and it is just too tough right now, so I think we're going to wait until level 20 or so before moving on to Earth's.

Just to mix it up and avoid dying of boredom, we'll probably do some leveling in the Earth Cave (primarily in the long narrow tunnel right before the stairs leading to the 3rd floor (the one with the Vampire). Speaking of the Vampire, I'm not in any hurry to defeat him since it won't really speed things up, but may go after him at some point just to get away from grinding for a short time.

For now, back to leveling at Crescent Lake!
Jay_Shaw 1 month ago#58
What level have you gotten your characters to so far?

--Jay
pugsly8422 1 month ago#59
Jay_Shaw posted...
What level have you gotten your characters to so far?

--Jay
Everyone is at level 21 now. I went to fight Earth's at level 20, but I felt like it wasn't fast enough with the constant healing and trips to restock. I think level 22, because it's a strong hp level, will be the one where we move to Earth's full time. After moving to the Earth's, whenever the levels are about to hit, we'll probably try to get the levels around Melmond, but if they run too much maybe we can go back to Crescent Lake.
Jay_Shaw 1 month ago#60
Sounds like it has been going fairly slowly but steadily - good luck with trying to fight Earths for levels more regularly once your characters reach level 22!

--Jay
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. 4 Black Mage Challenge No Magic - #2
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A