• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. Why do you suppose you can only save one game on the nes cartridge?
____bob____ 3 months ago#11
Oh man passwords. I've always had terrible handwriting so I would write them down then later on not be able to read my own writing.
R.I.P Ronnie James Dio
Diamond_Dragon 3 months ago#12
The password on Metroid never seemed to work for me, so I figured out how to just beat the whole thing in one go. I remember thinking 3 hours was so fast… years later I’m watching half hour speed runs and reassessing my definition of fast, lol.
Alushen 3 months ago#13
I wonder what the chances are that it was a great conspiracy theory to sell more cartridges. If you wanted to play two games….buy another cart!!
Zhuge Liang or Sima Yi?
Pre_PHD_Lee 3 months ago#14
I've learned password-based games are much easier to navigate in the modern era, because you can just take a picture of the password. It saves so much time and eliminates transcription errors.

Just a quick add-on to shadow_master01's post: not just Dragon Warrior but also Dragon Warrior II were password based games. I imported both games while trying to learn some Japanese, and Dragon Warrior II has the longest passwords by far of any password-based game I ever played. Without taking a photo, that would have been a nightmare to write down accurately every time.

It's a shame there was only one save file for the original Final Fantasy. I only played it once through in my youth because I had two brothers and had to let one of them take over the cart once I finished, and I don't think either of them actually finished it to pass it back to me. And when I replayed it much later in life, I didn't want to overwrite my existing save, so I still didn't get as much playtime out of it.
May someday resume the quest for higher education, or else change my name here. Won't stop playing games either way.
Jay_Shaw 3 months ago#15
That's a good point, Pre_PHD_Lee - I haven't actually been willing to migrate to a smartphone, myself, but my wife started using one recently. I'll have to remember to use it for the passwords if we ever try playing a password game again in the future....

--Jay
BareknuckleRoo 3 months ago#16
Photography is definitely ideal for avoiding errors. Emulation also allows for the use of Save States as an alternative means of saving progress.
Pre_PHD_Lee 3 months ago#17
I actually played both those before I'd gotten my first smartphone, but I started using my 3DS camera to take the photos.

I also found Save States useful when I played Kid Icarus and Metroid on the Switch Online service.

Even if they replayed old games that used them, today's kids will never need to know the agony of discovering you wrote the password down wrong and can't resume from where you left off.
May someday resume the quest for higher education, or else change my name here. Won't stop playing games either way.
Jay_Shaw 3 months ago#18
Yeah - we have a digital camera and a 3DS (I had no idea the 3DS had a camera feature, though). If we were going to take a picture of the password these days, we would probably just use my wife's new iPhone, though, since she has it nearby most of the time and because it's generally easy to retrieve the pictures without much difficulty.

Kid Icarus is a game I played through I few times when I was growing up (but not anytime recently). I just looked up a guide for the game on GameFAQs and see that there are a lot of hidden mechanics I didn't know about. I remember that I once got to the end of the game without having upgraded my arrows enough and found it essentially impossible to defeat the final boss....

--Jay
Lil_Bit83 2 months ago#19
Because it's a big-ass game?
2DS FC tempest 1478 9807 1205
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. Why do you suppose you can only save one game on the nes cartridge?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A