• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. Final Fantasy Dynamics 186: Delicious Sandwiches

User Info: Voltgloss

Voltgloss
4 weeks ago#481
[My deepest apologies around, to Astral and Guy especially. Real Life(tm) has surged to the point that I have no time to write anything and likely won't for the next several weeks. Unlike previous times I've disappeared, I am going to try very hard to still be present at least for battle commands. Astral, feel free to ignore the thoughts I'd messaged you, as I'm just not going to be around to act on them (nor do I have the time to research and pull together the details you'd mentioned in our back and forth). Again, I apologizedeeply, but I'm going to be in pure reactive mode for a while. Hopefully I can continue at least that.]

Spiralex blinked rapidly as his vision started to glaze grey. It was happening again.

Why now? Why when calamity could be at its height?

Have to trust the thinking to the others. No matter what... it'll be interesting.

With a supreme effort of will, Spiralex allowed instinct and reaction to take over.

Attack VOID2

User Info: goatfishman

goatfishman
4 weeks ago#482
step, step, step.

Guy's eyes flashed over at Duncan, who took a deep breath.

step, step, step

They glanced at Pogs, who had a pensive look on his face. Guy's eyes flicked down to Pogs's waist, then back to his true focus, and then met Pogs's eyes again briefly. Then he moved on.

step, step, step

Rocco was still flexing his mighty legs, with his......hammer......dangling from his belt. Yes, the hammer. Guy hadn't forgotten about that hammer. But there were more pressing matters at the moment.

step, step, step

The other group was engaged in battle. There would be time. Not enough, most likely, but time.

step, step. Pause.

A small inhalation and exhalation of breath out of his mouth. Solidly ruined by the bubbles. No matter, it was time.

It certainly was time, as Guy halted three quarters of the way in front of the pedastal where Scather lay, and turned, and faced Undine, who was also making her way to the sword.

And held out his hand.

Undine rolled her eyes. "Please." she exclaimed.

"I agree, please." Guy said. "You can't do it alone. Sadly, neither can I." Guy caught Duncan's eye again. "So we do it together."

Undine's mouth rose in a half quirk, "We do it together. Of course that wou..." she began.

"Yes." Guy cut her off. "We both grab the sword together, and we figure out a way to end this. Here, and now, today, this very hour. We will never have any chance at peace otherwise. And there's no better spot to do it. Should we prove unequal to the task, we will be taken care of by our friends. And this thing will be left down here to rot."

"And if I refuse?" Undine asked.

"Then you kill me." Guy stated simply, looking directly into her eyes. "I will not move out of your way otherwise, and I won't fight back."

*Three heals to Guy, two to Pogs
*Ultimatum, ad idem, quid pro quo, debellatio
Lvl 27: 369/369hp, 250403xp, 9343g (Lvl 14: 75/75hp, 12/12mp
9/7/7/6/6/5/4/2, 9Heal, 0Pure, (2888gp, 6508xp, herb, herb, antidote, invis herb)

User Info: cyric32

cyric32
4 weeks ago#483
(Im a little undecided on covering ramza still or attacking but thinking cover just in case. But someone can change my command if need be)

cover ramza

User Info: AstralEsper

AstralEsper
4 weeks ago#484
Several minutes prior...

"Okay," Undine said to Spiralex as it was clear they were out of earshot of the others. "What is it you wanted to talk about?"

"I'll cut straight to the point," Spiralex responded with some urgency, underscoring this by dispensing with any crypticism. "Scather is in the room beyond us, embedded in a pedestal and emanating malevolent energy. It has become an imminent threat to this world that we can no longer afford to ignore. But I believe that I can help you to either destroy its power forever, or claim it as your own."

"What are you talking about?" Undine responded in a mixture of indignation and confusion. "I've got this under control. Why would I need to destroy or take Scather's power when I have already learned to control it?"

Spiralex raised an eyebrow, taking in what she said before continuing. "Tell me..." he began deliberately. "How is it that you learned to... 'control' it?"

"I completed its trials. I fought and defeated the demon within. This allowed me to render it inert and use it freely."

"But how is it that you learned to control its power?"

"I just told you."

"No, you explained how you could wield it without succumbing to its corruption. What we're seeing now is something else. I wasn't present at Dragon's Haven, but those who were there have described how you rose from defeat and helped win the day. That is something more."

"What we're seeing now is happening because of that idiot Guy. He never should have had the sword; he isn't equipped to handle it."

"If you thought he wasn't equipped to handle it, then why did you give it to him?"

"Because, I-" Undine stopped, her tone of exasperation giving way to uncertainty. "Because... he asked me to... and I... wanted to seem reasonable."

"What would be reasonable about giving a cursed weapon to a person you don't think can handle it properly?"

"..."

"Unless you didn't care if he were corrupted. But why wouldn't you care about that?"

Undine scrunched her face, searching for an answer she, on some level, didn't want to find.

"Just as I am told you traveled to the past," Spiralex continued, trying to help her along quickly, "Some of our allies traveled to the future. What they saw was a world ravaged by Scather - and you."

Undine resisted the dissonance. "How would that even be possible if I had already given it to Guy?"

"Well, presumably, you would have reclaimed it from him when you both returned to the present. But something... changed. I'm sure you noticed that Old Man Dano seemlessly transitioned from hunting you as the destroyer of the world, to hunting Guy Incognito. I was also told that your eyes turned black in the wake of your victory at Dragon's Haven, but now they're... not quite."

She didn't want to believe it. She didn't want to accept it. But her perception of reality was plainly falling to scrutiny - and what Spiralex was saying went a long way toward explaining the empty feeling she had inside.

"That you survived its corruption presents a unique opportunity. Once we get this door open, I want you to reclaim it. Because I believe you - and perhaps you alone - may be able to 'fool' Scather long enough to do what is necessary. But I'll need the Earth Crystal to make it work."

Undine turned her head in skepticism, and again resisted facing the reality she did not want to acknowledge. And she didn't need to; she could still assert control. She reached out with her mind, and tried to sense for Scather's influence over the door, seeming to find it. The flecks of darkness in her eyes flickered wildly. She exerted her will in an effort to dispel the barrier, but was rebuffed - just as she had been when she encountered Guy before. No, worse... it felt like it was mocking her. The reality she had wanted to perceive was falling apart. It was now undeniable: she was no longer in control.

With a shaking resignation, she asked, "Why do you need the Earth Crystal?"

"It's... difficult to explain." Spiralex answered, seeming to want to give her enough information to persuade her while being mindful of how short their time was. "Suffice it to say, I believe its... unique properties can be used to make Scather vulnerable - but only if you kill me while I'm holding it."

Undine scoffed. "How the hell is that supposed to work? You sound like that idiot priest we saw in Onrac who suggested a human sacrifice to purify the Altar of Water." Her tone became exaggerated and mocking as she continued. "'Oh, the altar got corrupted by getting mermaid blood all over it? I know! Let's use more blood to clean up all the blood!'"

"That's a very interesting anecdote I would much like to hear more of, but I'm afraid it will have to wait for another time. I don't really have time to explain how it would work, but I have some reason to believe it would."

"Listen, I get that you know certain things that none of the rest of us do. But I have reason to believe that's a really dumb idea."

"Do you have a better one?"

She didn't. She had believed she could simply reclaim the sword and restore order, but the fact that it was refusing her made clear it would not be so simple. Even if she could get her hands on it, how could she know she could retain control?

...or if she would want to? Now that she felt it, she desired it. To fill the emptiness inside her. Was it what she was missing? Based on her recent experiences, and the fragments of memories she was recovering... no, perhaps not. But it would fill the void all the same, wouldn't it?

She reached into her pocked, and pulled out the Earth Crystal. She looked at the corruption swirl within in. The corruption she was responsible for. But she also bore responsibility for the corruption in the next room.

"Here, take it." She offered the Earth Crystal to Spiralex, who took it in a cloth, careful not to touch it. "I don't know if your plan will work, or if I even want to try it. But I don't know what's going to happen when we get into the next room. As much as I feel responsible for fixing this, I also need to deal with whatever is in there. And I feel like it will be safer with you when I do. And if, once it's all sorted out, I'm not..." she trailed off. "In the past, I started using the Water Crystal, along with shards of ice and life magic, to purify the Earth Crystal. It looked like it was working, but I was interrupted. Someone else needs to finish the process if I can't. And I don't fully understand you or what your motivations are, but I do believe you want the same thing I do in this matter."

Undine gave the Earth Crystal to Spiralex

User Info: AstralEsper

AstralEsper
4 weeks ago#485
The Water Elementals and Voids vanquished, Undine approached where Scather was embedded, transfixed by the hologram of... herself, hovering above it. Was it her shade? Or something else? She studied its expression and looked for a reaction to herself.

But whatever it was, it was no matter. Even as she now feared she would fail, she steeled her resolve and prepared to grasp it. She would summon all of her energy to reassert control. In order to do so, she would have to fight past Scather's rejection of her, while also resisting the impulse to simply give in and let it all wash over her. It seemed doomed to fail - but what choice did she have? She needed to face this, now.

And then Guy reached out his hand.

Undine rolled her eyes in irritation at the disruption. "Please."

"I agree, please." Guy said. "You can't do it alone. Sadly, neither can I." Guy caught Duncan's eye again. "So we do it together."

Undine's mouth rose in a half quirk, "We do it together. Of course you wou-"

"Yes." Guy cut her off. "We both grab the sword together, and we figure out a way to end this. Here, and now, today, this very hour. We will never have any chance at peace otherwise. And there's no better spot to do it. Should we prove unequal to the task, we will be taken care of by our friends. And this thing will be left down here to rot."

"And if I refuse?" Undine asked.

"Then you kill me." Guy stated simply, looking directly into her eyes. "I will not move out of your way otherwise, and I won't fight back."

"Fine. Then we'll do this together."

Undine reaches to grab Scather alongside Guy.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
O'Shea targets Falx
Kojak snoozes
Trusting my soul to the ice cream assassin
DQC Fusion Chart - docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yMWTlcmB6a9NJhGd78nMm6FVxOcLB18sRjeMiuBnfPk

User Info: ZeroType-X

ZeroType-X
4 weeks ago#487
[Ffs, so much for trying to see how I can play this out.]

Keep at VOID2.
If there's time after the fight, try to intervene with the Scather grabbing, mentioning Dano's Ifrit strike affecting the specter.
If not, watch what unfolds.
Lvl18 Thief 319HP Str21/Agi23/Int19/Vit17/Luk31/Hit54/Dmg22/Eva68/Abs37
Gear Masher/Energy [S]/Gold [B]/Cap/ProRing | Inv: Heal2 PhoenixDown2 Empowerer [R]

User Info: ActionIV

ActionIV
4 weeks ago#488
Pogs saw the sword. He saw Guy go for it. He saw Undine go for it. Perhaps surprisingly, they reached out for it together. Recalling the events at the dark elf keep, he decided that maybe this was the best chance they had of dealing with this stupid possessed weapon. That, or they were about to have to kill enthralled versions of Guy and Undine.

And if that was the case, they needed the others ready to go, so Pogs knew his best course of action.

Pogs joins the battle in front of Keelan
Pogs attacks VOID1

User Info: Booguwah61482

Booguwah61482
4 weeks ago#489
Command:
Rocco joins the fight behind Nielic and attacks VOID3!

[If others in the group think Thunder would be better, feel free to change to that instead.]

User Info: des223

des223
4 weeks ago#490
With so much activity going on at one time, it took all of Dano's focus to keep himself engaged in the quite-dangerous fight in front of him.

Dano casts ICE3.
If there were college degrees in 8-bit Nintendo, I'd have a Ph.D. by now.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. Final Fantasy Dynamics 186: Delicious Sandwiches
  • Topic Closed

GameFAQs Q&A