• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. Questions about battle messages

User Info: romraptor

romraptor
2 months ago#1
I'm trying to make the battle messages more clear when translating the game and have a few questions:
Ineffective - This just occurs when someone misses an attack because an enemy is already dead?
Ineffective now - This just occurs when someone tries to cast a revive spell in battle (which you cannot do)?
Nothing happens - When does this occur?

User Info: BareknuckleRoo

BareknuckleRoo
2 months ago#2
"Ineffective" is displayed for a variety of reasons in battle:

• player character attacks an enemy that was already killed or ran away that turn
• player or enemy uses a status effect spell like Slow and the spell misses the target
• player uses a Harm Undead spell on a living target, which always misses
• player or enemy uses Fast on themselves while already under the effect of Fast
• player uses a Pure potion on a character that isn't poisoned

"Ineffective now" is displayed when you try to cast an out of battle only spell in battle (WARP, LIFE, LIF2, EXIT, SOFT). These spells cannot be used in battle because the game is based on D&D where these spells took several minutes to an hour of uninterrupted casting time and thus couldn't be used in combat.

"Nothing happens" occurs when you use an item in battle that has no magical effect tied to it, such as trying to use a Rapier in battle.

The messages in the English version are accurate and descriptive so it'd probably be best to translate them literally as they are. The only one I would say could be made more clear would be "Ineffective now" to "Only outside combat" or possibly "Not while in battle!".
(edited 2 months ago)

romraptor
2 months ago#3
Thanks! I noticed that "Ineffective" displays in several completely different circumstances. I agree that "Ineffective now" probably is the least descriptive message.

romraptor
2 months ago#4
Another question:
How should I translate し がおとずれた?
"Erased" seems wrong since it's probably referring to "RUB".
Maybe "Death has come" or "Your time has come"?

BareknuckleRoo
2 months ago#5
I don't understand your question; are you saying you don't know where the line is used in the Japanese version? I do not speak Japanese. If you're translating the game you should have a copy of the game and play through it so as to know the context of lines of dialogue. The save file is the same format between versions so you can use an English version save file.

romraptor
2 months ago#6
No, I know it's used together with the Death spell (RUB). I don't speak Japanese, but feel Erased is not a suitable translation.

BareknuckleRoo
2 months ago#7
I'm trying to make the battle messages more clear when translating the game

I don't speak Japanese

What language are you translating from/into?
(edited 2 months ago)

romraptor
2 months ago#8
English to Swedish. The translation is 99% done. I'm just going over a few sentences here and there.

User Info: CrashGordon94_

CrashGordon94_
2 months ago#9
romraptor posted...
No, I know it's used together with the Death spell (RUB). I don't speak Japanese, but feel Erased is not a suitable translation.

The TV Tropes page has an interesting take on this, suggesting Death/RUB might be based on D&D's Disintegrate spell (While Kill/XXXX is Power Word: Kill), so "erased" is a bit euphemistic but it might actually be fitting with the inspiration.
Aspiring Streamer: https://www.twitch.tv/crashgordon94/
If you're interested in this, join my server about it! https://discord.gg/5gXWcVG

BareknuckleRoo
2 months ago#10
romraptor posted...
English to Swedish. The translation is 99% done. I'm just going over a few sentences here and there.

So, you're not doing Japanese to Swedish?

The question then is: are you trying to translate the English version as is, or are you trying to do Japanese -> English -> Swedish?

"Erased" is not inaccurate for what I think the RUB spell's manual description was of being erased out of existence. At any rate, the translation for the Japanese lines of text, based on looking up a Japanese dictionary, suggests a literal accurate translation if you're using the spell name "DEATH" would be "Death visited/Death has visited." Less flowery and more boring would simply be "Killed."
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. Questions about battle messages
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A