• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. Mages of Light: Completed

User Info: shinrano26

shinrano26
5 months ago#1
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/a/user_image/4/0/8/AAewZWAACD74.png
So, I left it so long that my thread got locked, but after a bit more grinding I made another assault and victory was mine.

We entered the Temple with Gandalf and Glinda at level 42, because Hitchhiker memes, and Merlin and Luke at 41; Glinda reached 43 by the time I fought Chaos. Which agrees with the prediction by @BareknuckleRoo about what level I'd need to be. Considering I only needed one attempt at that level I could possibly have tried it at a bit lower.

Phantom and Lich were, as I had already found at lower level, easy enough to beat with Fir3 and a spot of Hrm3/4. Against Kary I skipped Qake this time and just fought fire with fire, saving my other elements for later, and counted damage to use XXXX for the finisher. Kraken was easy prey for Lit3 and Ice3. Against Tiamat I tried my remaining Braks to no avail, lost count of damage, so just had to beat it down with level 3 spells and a Fade or two. Through all of these I also made use of A-Element or Wall spells to help Luke who lacked a Ribbon, and some Fog/2, Invs/2, and Ruse.

I had average luck with random encounters. Worms twice, once in the upper floors and again after Tiamat - these are a major nuisance because their HP and magic defense makes them take a lot of spells to kill. and while they're not super strong they can hit hard.

I had 13 Nukes and 5 Fades left for Chaos, but Merlin and Luke had exhausted all their level 3 elemental spells. Gandalf was reduced to two l6 casts, saved for Fog2, and l1 and 2 spells. I was also almost completely out of healing with just 3 Hel2s left and couldn't even go in at full health so Gandalf had to miss out. It might have been no bad thing if Tiamat or a random killed someone because that way I could have used Lif2!

Really I think defense and healing, not damage dealing, is why I couldn't do this at a lower level. There are so many unfleeable encounters and heal potions go fast. And this is with the extra healing of the Red Mage - but then again, another BM would have let me be more liberal with the Nukes so need to heal less.

Against Chaos I took the "Wait for Cur4" strategy. Gandalf and Glinda casting buffs, Glinda dropping those last few Hel2s, while Merlin and Luke passed turns. With the buffs up Chaos wasn't especially threatening, though it was clear I couldn't tank that forever. I possibly didn't need to tank it at all though, because once I started unleashing the Nukes and Fades it only took four or five rounds, and I did have a few left over.

Overall, while it had a fair bit of endgame grind, that was a fun run. I enjoy challenges that turn the usual wisdom or approach on its head - magic only in FF8 was fun for that same reason. (But a lot easier than this!) It's made me appreciate the Black Mage a lot more, as well as the White Mage's late-game bulk.

I still think it's an open question whether a Red Mage was a help or hindrance to the team, and will be until someone completes the challenge with the WM/3BM party with a maximum level of 42 or under. The Red Mad was good early but rough mid-game with the lateness on spells. I stand by the value of a backup Life and Exit caster, though as I said in the last thread that still didn't help me one time when Gandalf and Glinda both died. But as for the final dungeon and its bosses, well while a third BM would have given me 7 more Nukes which might have made Tiamat nukeable, I'd have lost 8 Cur3 and 8 Cur2 and I had barely enough healing as it was, though perhaps I could have used it more efficiently and not healed up to max HP after nearly every battle. I also think the WM/3BM party gives an awkward choice for who's on point - it's either the party's sole healer and reviver which is risky, or it's one of the frail BMs. The RM, while no tank late game, does at least have a bit more HP and Ruse.

Setup pictures
Party before Chaos fight.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/a/user_image/4/0/9/AAewZWAACD75.png

Equipment
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/a/user_image/4/1/0/AAewZWAACD76.png

User Info: beege_man

beege_man
5 months ago#2
Congrats! I love magic focused challenges, and magic only is one of the tougher and more unique runs of the game, you have to completely change your strategy. RM's main benefit is in the early game being able to wear chain armor, which is certainly useful, but only for a very short period of time and it's easily overcome with a couple extra levels. I'd bet that a second WM would be better than an RM.
L43 474/474 9/9/9/8/8/8/7/7 Int/MDef: 57/104
HDCEA: 114-109-104/51-53-46/3-4-6.5/83/43(37) Resist: Ice/(Fire)/(Lit)/Death AtkElem: Ice-Fire-Coral

User Info: The_Hacker

The_Hacker
5 months ago#3
Yes, a WM/WM/BM/BM party is best for magic only. Two WM's up front do ok early game with RUSE, and by Melmond have enough HP and defense to handle most crits. Extra MUTEs are helpful on bosses. BM is too frail for even the 2nd slot. The extra healing adds up in the long run, especially in the TOFR where potions are quickly depleted. End game, FADE is far more useful than anything the RW has. And the RW lags further and further behind in HP and spell points as you go. Good job using XXXX to finish bosses. It is even more effective than NUKE, since it is a 100% kill if the enemy has under 300 HP. STUN is a another option. It can buy you time to whittle down the earlier bosses with low level magic, while giving you a chance to heal up. And I always wondered why the RW has level 8 spell points, if he can't use level 8 magic. A bug I think.

User Info: BareknuckleRoo

BareknuckleRoo
5 months ago#4
Congrats on the win. I'd go further and say the RM is a bit frail for the frontline past Melmond; their lack of Ruse makes WM far better for doing tanking, and the WM has a large number of tricks available that the RM doesn't have for the endgame, which is what counts most for this challenge due to all the unrunnable fights. It's possible, technically, to avoid them, but it requires manipulation of the encounter table and is very tedious. It's mostly something you'd only do for a low level run.

User Info: shinrano26

shinrano26
5 months ago#5
2WM/2BM is an interesting idea. I can see it working in the late game, double the Cur4 would be a major asset and Fades instead of elemental spells. Would you use Fear to deal with random encounters? But I reckon that'd be at the expense of a rougher early game. The very first battle I had, five Imps, would not have been winnable with the 2WM/2BM party.

Edit: Oh, and I suppose there's one other thing. I don't think I beat Warmech in the save yet.

User Info: Jay_Shaw

Jay_Shaw
5 months ago#6
Wow, that sounds like one heck of a challenge - congratulations on managing to complete it!

--Jay

BareknuckleRoo
5 months ago#7
shinrano26 posted...
The very first battle I had, five Imps, would not have been winnable with the 2WM/2BM party.

Sure it would be winnable. Give the WMs Ruse, buy Hammers and Daggers/Staves for the BMs, pick up Fire for one BM, have the WMs Ruse tank, and proceed with the beatdown. Alternately, get Ruse for one WM, 2 x Fire for the BMs, buy weapons/armor while saving a bit of extra cash for Inn usage, and away you go. WMs are near unhittable with Ruse used twice, and with a bit of luck your WM will manage to get the spells off prior to getting smacked around. Giving one WM Ruse and the other Cure may work better, but if the BMs have Fire, that's 4 Imps total you can burn down, leaving only 1 alive you have to beat up physically. Fog may even be preferable to Ruse, as you won't be fighting them long enough to worry about crits, and one Fog is enough to reduce their damage to being negligible.

If 4 x WMs can get through a 5 Imp fight barehanded, then with actual weapons and attack spells available a full mage team would do just fine.

User Info: The_Hacker

The_Hacker
4 months ago#8
Roo, he did a magic only challenge. :) The FIGHT command was not allowed. I often hit 4 imps from the start. But you could just run to the ToF and HARM zombies.

BareknuckleRoo
4 months ago#9
Oh right, forgot that salient point. You'd need three damage casters just to have the charges to do it, never mind!

User Info: beege_man

beege_man
4 months ago#10
Yeah, you'd just run from any 5 IMP battles until you level up.
L43 474/474 9/9/9/8/8/8/7/7 Int/MDef: 57/104
HDCEA: 114-109-104/51-53-46/3-4-6.5/83/43(37) Resist: Ice/(Fire)/(Lit)/Death AtkElem: Ice-Fire-Coral
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. Mages of Light: Completed
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A