• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. The nes classic version is a bit.....off

User Info: Alushen

Alushen
6 months ago#1
First of all, yes, I’m nitpicking. But when you’ve played through the game as much as I have, (I want to say hundreds of times, but realistically probably tens of times), and as much as all of you have, you notice things, like with the NES classic version.

First of all—- and the thing I notice the most, the sound when a character attacks an enemy and the cloud appears over the enemy sprite, that’s off. Fighting enemies is what we do the most of, and I picked that one right off the top.

Next, the spell animation is different. On the nes classic, spells like LIT and FIRE light up the whole screen on kind of a artwork pattern, like something is “painting the spell across the screen” The NES does not behave that way.

Finally, the a little less notably is the little blurb that plays when a random encounter occurs. Similar to the monster strike, it’s just.... different.

Are any of these game breakers that will turn me off from playing the game.....?? Perhaps- depending on my mood. Would any of these prevent me from playing the NES classic version ever again—-no. Just knowing I can save and return to my game knowing that it will be there and not get erased is huge, and not having to deal with fidgety contacts is another big one.

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed these things? Anyone notice anything else???
Zhuge Liang or Sima Yi?

User Info: CranberryPSO

CranberryPSO
6 months ago#2
The spell animation I noticed.

I also noticed when flying my airship, if I travel south across the volcano the screen gets glitchy for a moment. I don't recall that happening on the NES.

I'm not sure if these are emulation oddities or if they intentionally made a handful of changes.

The spell animation changes might be to reduce seizure risks of the flashing light effects the spells had in the original release.
Best quest to fight tons of Canadians really fast? ~HaienLai
Topics won: 8

User Info: beege_man

beege_man
6 months ago#3
They're probably emulation oddities. As far as I know they're using the original ROM as-is, so these differences are likely just due to different sound/graphic implementations/hardware.
L43 474/474 9/9/9/8/8/8/7/7 Int/MDef: 57/104
HDCEA: 114-109-104/51-53-46/3-4-6.5/83/43(37) Resist: Ice/(Fire)/(Lit)/Death AtkElem: Ice-Fire-Coral

User Info: BareknuckleRoo

BareknuckleRoo
6 months ago#4
As far as spell flashing, this is likely a deliberate change. The SNES Classic had Earthbound on it, a game with fairly intense flashing effects on the game's equivalent of magic, PSI, and that release toned down/softened the effects presumably to reduce seizure risks. It's highly probably this same release was changed in the same way. It is unlikely that both of these games would conveniently have emulation glitches that both have the same effect and reduce how intense the bright flashing is.

Does anyone have a video of a spell being used? Of the three videos I looked at of people playing the NES Classic, one doesn't cast spells in the video with their Red Mage, and the other two "reviewers" (I use this loosely here) leave Corneria immediately without buying (let alone equipping) any spells or equipment whatsoever, only to run up to Garland and get promptly destroyed.
(edited 6 months ago)

User Info: CranberryPSO

CranberryPSO
6 months ago#5
My YouTube channel has spells being cast in my white mage challenge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTV65jbr84M
Best quest to fight tons of Canadians really fast? ~HaienLai
Topics won: 8

User Info: FreshFeeling

FreshFeeling
6 months ago#6
BareknuckleRoo posted...
As far as spell flashing, this is likely a deliberate change. The SNES Classic had Earthbound on it, a game with fairly intense flashing effects on the game's equivalent of magic, PSI, and that release toned down/softened the effects presumably to reduce seizure risks. It's highly probably this same release was changed in the same way. It is unlikely that both of these games would conveniently have emulation glitches that both have the same effect and reduce how intense the bright flashing is.

Yeah, this is almost certainly what happened. They started doing this kind of thing to older games via patch in the era of the Wii Virtual Console due to photosensitivity. I recall Phantasy Star IV was also treated this way despite not being as flashy as FF1 and EarthBound.
The feral chocobo calls with a boisterous "wark," not the domestic breed's mild "kweh."
https://twitter.com/RetroFreshTV

User Info: CrashGordon94_

CrashGordon94_
5 months ago#7
I definitely noticed the spell flash change, mostly when I returned to the Wii version afterwards (that DIDN'T change it, or at least not as much).
Aspiring Streamer: https://www.twitch.tv/crashgordon94/
If you're interested in this, join my server about it! https://discord.gg/5gXWcVG
(message deleted)

User Info: Fogsprig

Fogsprig
5 months ago#9
If your NES classic is hacked (considering installed Retroarch), change the command line in hakchi to "--retroarch". Maybe that would help to improve the emulation.
HYPE HYPE HYPE NERV

User Info: Lil_Bit83

Lil_Bit83
5 months ago#10
I understand you to an extent. When you've played or read or watched something a whole bunch, it makes you twitchy to see even minute changes. I get that way sometimes too.
2DS FC tempest 1478 9807 1205
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. The nes classic version is a bit.....off
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A