• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. Spell Priority
mitsguy2001 2 months ago#31
Jay_Shaw posted...
No kidding - for White Magic in general, some of the spell levels seem to have a much better selection of spells than others. What really would have made the class great (although arguably a bit overpowered) is if the developers alternated the levels when the Cure and Heal spells are available so that every level from Level 1 through 7 has one of these spells (if you really wanted to overdo it you could also add a Heal 4 spell with double the capacity of Heal 3 to Level 8)....

--Jay

I'm guessing the intent was that they wanted you to have to decide between the CURE line vs the HEAL line, or mix and match them.

Which Level 8 spell would you eliminate in favor of HEL4? XFER is an obvious choice since it doesn't work. But enemies do use it, and it works when they use it. Maybe FADE, since it's more in tune with black magic rather than white magic?
Jay_Shaw 2 months ago#32
Yeah - not sure about that. I wasn't thinking about the actual implementation, but generally speaking, I do know that a White Wizard with a Heal spell twice as good as Heal 3 would make the class quite a bit more useful for boss battles....

--Jay
beege_man 2 months ago#33
mitsguy2001 posted...
That makes sense. But, in the ToFR, don't you want to conserve your Level 8 spell charges in order to use Nuke against Chaos, since it's the only damage spell useful against him, and there is no way to restore your MP before the Chaos fight?
The core point was comparing NUKE to XXXX against bosses. It's true that you don't cast L8s against the Fiends often (depends on your party and level), but IF you're casting a NUKE against one of the Fiends in the ToFR (maybe because you have a team full of mages and thats the only way to beat the fiends), then using XXXX to finish them off faster can often save you a couple L8 charges which can be critical in being able to beat Chaos. Also note that you could use STUN nearly just as well as XXXX and slowly finish them off with other attacks while completely saving a L8 charge. It really depends on the party. This strategy isn't important often, but those spells do fill a unique niche.
L44 482/482 9/9/9/8/8/8/8/7 Int/MDef: 58/106
HDCEA: 116-111-106/51-53-46/3-4-6.5/83/43(37) Resist: Ice/(Fire)/(Lit)/Death AtkElem: Ice-Fire-Coral
(edited 2 months ago)
Diamond_Dragon 2 months ago#34
Jay_Shaw posted...
I do know that a White Wizard with a Heal spell twice as good as Heal 3 would make the class quite a bit more useful for boss battles....
I've always thought the White Wizard's job in a boss fight was to mitigate the damage and prolong the fight, giving your warriors more time to finish the boss, not completely negating the enemy's damage.
Technically, if he's healing the party for 1/4 the damage the boss is dealing, you're breaking even. Heal2 and Heal3 usually heal more like 1/2 the damage the boss is dealing, and when you start the battle by enhancing resistance (Wall) or defense (Invis2 and Fog2), one White Wizard is almost negating the damage the boss is dealing altogether. Of course, you're limited by the number of spell charges, but if your other three characters are throwing halfway decent damage, then the WW is a real benefit by giving the team several extra rounds of three damage dealers doing their thing.

Jay_Shaw 2 months ago#35
Yeah - I think the class is good enough to take along already, but some group healing capacity exceeding 48-96 HP would still be nice....

--Jay
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. Spell Priority
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A