• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. Spell Priority

User Info: Angelalex242

Angelalex242
4 months ago#21
Personally, I use paired Red with my paired fighters. I have access to forget, so I'll eventually replace their levels 1s and level 2s with more useful spells once the direct damage spells become useless.
There is a fine line between genius and insanity.
Which side am I on? You decide. (Name is split Angel Alex 242)

User Info: mitsguy2001

mitsguy2001
1 month ago#22
BareknuckleRoo posted...

You rate the two best 300 HP spells, Stun and XXXX, very low. They're actually quite useful if you know how they work and are familiar with enemy HP values as they're guaranteed to hit so long as you fulfill the right conditions. There's several enemies in the game you can get a hit on at the start of the fight, or by dropping their current HP below the threshold, including every single Kary, Kraken, and Tiamat fight. Kary only needs to be dealt 400 HP damage to be a guaranteed hit with the Stun spell for the remainder of the fight. Lit3 and Nuke are of course generally better for their respective levels because they're multitarget, but don't underestimate the usefulness of being able to get a guaranteed kill the moment a vulnerable target drops to 300 HP or less.

I was basing it on the fact that XXXX does, at best 300 HP damage to a single enemy, and fails if the enemy is resistant to the Death elemental, and does absolutely nothing until you get the enemy down to 300 HP through other means, while NUKE does between 100 and 400 HP damage to every enemy, and nobody resists it. NUKE would do an average of 250 HP damage per enemy, so if there are even 2 enemies, NUKE wins. The only time XXXX would win is if there is just a single enemy, but in that case, it would most likely be a boss, who is most likely resistant to the Death elemental, so XXXX is useless no matter how low his HP goes.

User Info: beege_man

beege_man
1 month ago#23
mitsguy2001 posted...
but in that case, it would most likely be a boss, who is most likely resistant to the Death elemental
Not true. Many bosses are not resistant to Death. Kary, Kraken, and Tiamat aren't. XXXX and STUN are perfect for these bosses. I agree if you're fighting a normal battle with 2 or more basic enemies that they are useless in that situation, but for the ToFR fights with these three bosses, it can be important to use as few spell charges as possible depending on your party. Also note that since these bosses have sky-high MDef, NUKE is less likely to hit in the upper ranges so is more often dealing 100-200 dmg. XXXX and STUN have actually made one of my nearly impossible challenges possible (magic-only) by saving me spell charges on these three fights.
L43 474/474 9/9/9/8/8/8/7/7 Int/MDef: 57/104
HDCEA: 114-109-104/51-53-46/3-4-6.5/83/43(37) Resist: Ice/(Fire)/(Lit)/Death AtkElem: Ice-Fire-Coral
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: maikeru0110

maikeru0110
1 month ago#24
Regarding level 5 White Magic for a White Mage:

Assuming you're playing with a White Mage and Black Mage, and no Red Mage (well shoot, even with a Red Mage) go for these spells: HEL2, HRM3, LIFE.

HEL2 heals *all* allies for almost as much as CUR3. Outside of battle, one will be using potions to heal the party. That said, HRM3 gets *much* more use than CUR3. I almost never used CUR3 on the playthroughs I chose it over HRM3. CUR3 is good for the Red Mage though.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Jay_Shaw

Jay_Shaw
1 month ago#25
If you are playing a version of Final Fantasy I where the Heal 2 spell is bugged (e.g., the original NES version of the game), my opinion is that you definitely want to get that spell for any White Mage characters in your party. Level 5 is probably the worst level (or at least one of the worst) to choose which spell not to get for a White Mage, since all of the available spells at that level are generally very useful. Cure 3 is definitely much more worth picking up in versions of the game where Heal 2 isn't bugged - in versions of the game where Heal 2 is bugged, I can definitely see the case for not getting Cure 3 due to how crazily good the bugged version of Heal 2 is in comparison with Cure 3....

--Jay
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: CranberryPSO

CranberryPSO
1 month ago#26
I think it's worth noting that Heal2 is only bugged if you use it in battle. If you use it out of battle, it functions as it would when not bugged.
Best quest to fight tons of Canadians really fast? ~HaienLai
Topics won: 8

Jay_Shaw
1 month ago#27
Right - I was aware of that but probably should have mentioned it in my post. I wasn't aware of the Heal 2 bug at all until earlier this year, so I researched the bug at that time. Even with the bug's applicability being limited to use of the spell in battle, it still increases the basic functionality of the spell a great deal beyond what it is in versions of the game where the spell isn't bugged (e.g., the Origins version of the game).....

--Jay

mitsguy2001
1 month ago#28
beege_man posted...
Not true. Many bosses are not resistant to Death. Kary, Kraken, and Tiamat aren't. XXXX and STUN are perfect for these bosses. I agree if you're fighting a normal battle with 2 or more basic enemies that they are useless in that situation, but for the ToFR fights with these three bosses, it can be important to use as few spell charges as possible depending on your party. Also note that since these bosses have sky-high MDef, NUKE is less likely to hit in the upper ranges so is more often dealing 100-200 dmg. XXXX and STUN have actually made one of my nearly impossible challenges possible (magic-only) by saving me spell charges on these three fights.

That makes sense. But, in the ToFR, don't you want to conserve your Level 8 spell charges in order to use Nuke against Chaos, since it's the only damage spell useful against him, and there is no way to restore your MP before the Chaos fight?

mitsguy2001
1 month ago#29
Jay_Shaw posted...
If you are playing a version of Final Fantasy I where the Heal 2 spell is bugged (e.g., the original NES version of the game), my opinion is that you definitely want to get that spell for any White Mage characters in your party. Level 5 is probably the worst level (or at least one of the worst) to choose which spell not to get for a White Mage, since all of the available spells at that level are generally very useful. Cure 3 is definitely much more worth picking up in versions of the game where Heal 2 isn't bugged - in versions of the game where Heal 2 is bugged, I can definitely see the case for not getting Cure 3 due to how crazily good the bugged version of Heal 2 is in comparison with Cure 3....

--Jay

It's ironic that Level 5 White Magic has 4 useful spells, while Level 4 White Magic has only one useful spell (AICE). Too bad you can't swap spell charges, or learn every Level 5 spell in exchange for some Level 4 spells.

Jay_Shaw
1 month ago#30
No kidding - for White Magic in general, some of the spell levels seem to have a much better selection of spells than others. What really would have made the class great (although arguably a bit overpowered) is if the developers alternated the levels when the Cure and Heal spells are available so that every level from Level 1 through 7 has one of these spells (if you really wanted to overdo it you could also add a Heal 4 spell with double the capacity of Heal 3 to Level 8)....

--Jay
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. Spell Priority
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A