• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. Anyone not cheat at all to beat this game?

User Info: Monadobuster

Monadobuster
1 year ago#1
The NES version is quite brutal in the “figure it out yourself” department. Unfortunately, I started using a guide around Kraken because I really had no idea where to go after Marilith(?). Lich and Marilith took a lot of guessing but I just straight up had no idea anymore after that.
Smash Ultimate DLC W's: Sephiroth, Sora
FFBE ID: 306, 371, 187 Currently Playing: Bravely Default II

User Info: KopeofOnrac

KopeofOnrac
1 year ago#2
I think a lot of people got through this game without cheating back in 1990, but look at all the help we had. The game came packaged with a huge instruction manual, maps, and a full poster-sized bestiary.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clv/manuals/en/pdf/CLV-P-NABJE.pdf

Plus, my brothers and I had all chipped-in for a subscription to Nintendo Power. So, we had this thing, too:

https://nparchive.wordpress.com/2016/03/05/nintendo-power-17/

My older brother had a Game Genie, but we never even thought to use it for Final Fantasy. We never needed to cheat.
My name is Kope. I saw it north, near the waterfall. Believe me! I think it was a robot.

Monadobuster
1 year ago#3
KopeofOnrac posted...
I think a lot of people got through this game without cheating back in 1990, but look at all the help we had. The game came packaged with a huge instruction manual, maps, and a full poster-sized bestiary.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clv/manuals/en/pdf/CLV-P-NABJE.pdf

Plus, my brothers and I had all chipped-in for a subscription to Nintendo Power. So, we had this thing, too:

https://nparchive.wordpress.com/2016/03/05/nintendo-power-17/

My older brother had a Game Genie, but we never even thought to use it for Final Fantasy. We never needed to cheat.

Wow really? I got the game on the Wii back in the day, so I didn’t have any of that. Silly me for actually thinking people had zero help back then

Edit: So does that mean I technically didn’t cheat if that stuff was in the manual?

User Info: Hasshiro

Hasshiro
1 year ago#4
I got my copy used back in the 90's. The manual was included, but no maps or bestiary chart. So I had to draw my own maps.

At one point in my 1st playthrough I got stuck, trying to enter Mirage Tower. It took some backtracking to find the spot I had overlooked (the stairs leading to the top floor of Temple of Onrac, where the mermaids live, and where the SLAB is located). Those were the days.

Yeah, I wouldn't call it cheating. After all, the information was meant to be available to the player.
All that I'm saying, a game's not worth playing over and over again.
--Depeche Mode, 'The Sun & The Rainfall'--

User Info: KopeofOnrac

KopeofOnrac
1 year ago#5
Yeah, the SLAB is hard to find, not like the CUBE. The CUBE's location is thoroughly and thoughtfully elucidated by a very well educated, virile, and good looking character in Onrac.
My name is Kope. I saw it north, near the waterfall. Believe me! I think it was a robot.

Monadobuster
1 year ago#6
Hasshiro posted...
I got my copy used back in the 90's. The manual was included, but no maps or bestiary chart. So I had to draw my own maps.

At one point in my 1st playthrough I got stuck, trying to enter Mirage Tower. It took some backtracking to find the spot I had overlooked (the stairs leading to the top floor of Temple of Onrac, where the mermaids live, and where the SLAB is located). Those were the days.

Yeah, I wouldn't call it cheating. After all, the information was meant to be available to the player.

I can imagine that it was quite fun back then

User Info: Diamond_Dragon

Diamond_Dragon
1 year ago#7
KopeofOnrac posted...
Yeah, the SLAB is hard to find, not like the CUBE. The CUBE's location is thoroughly and thoughtfully elucidated by a very well educated, virile, and good looking character in Onrac.
LOL!

Monadobuster
1 year ago#8
Diamond_Dragon posted...
LOL!

User Info: LiquidCsOH

LiquidCsOH
1 year ago#9
the only cheat i used were game genie help

GXSZPKSV + GXSXZKSV - Almost infinity gold (basically whatever you buy costs no money, but you need to have the required amout of gold to buy what you need. Buying the steel armor at provoka will require buying and selling silver armor a few times lol)

TGKLPALZ - Double fighters hit points

To this day I still remember those codes by memory. And I only used the double hit points cheat because i never equipped anything... didn't know you had to.... kept dying trying to get that damn crown.

MMORPGs are stupid

User Info: BareknuckleRoo

BareknuckleRoo
1 year ago#10
"Unfortunately, I started using a guide around Kraken because I really had no idea where to go after Marilith(?)"

Several people you meet in towns have their dialogue change after completing dungeons or events. You've already experienced this because to get to the Kary you would've had to talk to the Sages to get the canoe, whose dialog explicitly states that you should talk to them frequently as they provide new information.

There's also the brooms in Matoya's cave who give you the hint to the in-game map function, where areas of interest are clearly marked as glowing bits.

These features meant the NES version of Final Fantasy is extremely tame as far as RPGs of the time go in terms of difficulty in having to figure out where to go next. If you don't know where to go at any given point, you'd eventually figure everything out by checking out every single point of interest on the map, and talking to people in towns now and then to see if their dialogue changed. The hardest parts of the "where to go next" exploration are:

• finding the airship, where only a couple of NPCs explicitly tell you where to use the Floater, specifically one NPC in the elven village after you obtain the Floater

• finding the caravan in the oasis, which isn't terribly hard as there's an NPC in the town beside it that tells you to look for it

• finding out where to go after beating all 4 fiends, which is directly hinted and outright told to you in multiple locations (Sky Castle's observation window, talking to the Sages in Crescent Lake after all 4 orbs are lit)
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. Anyone not cheat at all to beat this game?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A