• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. Final Fantasy Restored & Rebalanced (DC?)

User Info: AstralEsper

AstralEsper
4 months ago#1
A long time ago, I started something.

And now, I have sunk-cost fallacied myself into finishing it.

https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/5/3/9/AAKjgnAAAeKT.png

Table of Contents
I. Foreword
II. Bug Fixes and Enhancements
III. Classes
IV. Equipment
V. Magic
VI. Enemies
VII. Thoughts

I. FOREWORD
Final Fantasy Rebalanced* expands on the more narrow mission of Final Fantasy Restored (which fixed the game's bugs and provided a more accurate localization, with some various non-substantive enhancments), by addressing design flaws in the game and rebalancing gameplay. This project was spurred by the fact that no single version of Final Fantasy feels entirely adequate. The original is too buggy and unbalanced. Final Fantasy Origins remains unbalanced, and the two most impactful bugs - the Critical Hit Bug and Intelligence Bug - were retained. Dawn of Souls and subsequent remakes achieved balance among the classes, but made many fundamental changes to gameplay, and some of these changes combined to trivialize the difficulty.

My design philosophy is to adhere as closely to the original game as possible, but with the completion of Final Fantasy Restored, I have resolved tension between preservation and balance by more frequently erring on the side of balance. This said, my changes are largely informed by, in order of priority: context from the original game itself; what few Ultimania-sourced design documents I have; conventions in subsequent Final Fantasy games; and, finally, my limited knowledge of Dungeons and Dragons (which served as an inspiration for this game, arguably to the point of plagiarism).

A link to the most recent version of the patch can be found in the Bio section of my profile. This is only a patch to mod the game, and this is all I ever have, or ever will, provide. I'm assuming that my target audience already owns one if not multiple copies of this game (as I myself do). However, if you don't, please keep in mind that it is easy (and often inexpensive) to buy a copy of the original Final Fantasy, whether it's a used cartridge, a Virtual Console download, or an NES Classic. So, just get one, and show Square Enix that they don't have to water down old-school JRPGs for people to like them.

Please note that this is not yet complete. Due to the incomplete nature of this patch, there are still some incomplete features, as well as some bugs - some of which I am aware, others of which I may not be. Please see the Known Issues section below. But I'm getting burnt out, and I need a break. After doing a full play through to fix any game-breaking bugs, I've decided to post this thread to solicit feedback. Ideally I'd like to hear from people playing and giving their thoughts on the most recent version of the patch, but general discussion is welcome as well, even from those who have not yet played it. This will give me a chance to gather feedback on actual gameplay while I finalize some of the non-gameplay based features, as well as add some general polish.

Constructive criticism is welcome. Generally, the more intuitive sense a suggestion makes to me, and the more people who make/agree with a suggestion, the more likely I am to implement it. But even if I don't agree with your thoughts, I will appreciate you sharing them.

What follows is a breakdown of key points of this mod. If you want to jump right in, just read the Essential Differences and Known Issues portions of the Bug Fixes and Enhancements section.

This thread may also at some point incorporate discussion of a possible reissue of Final Fantasy Restored using some of the non-substantive innovations I've come up with since then, along with an optional and minimalistic balance patch (tweaking some stats and other under-the-hood stuff to unobtrusively improve balance while eschewing the more significant steps I've taken here). But, one step at a time.

*What's in a Name?
So, since I started this, I've noticed that someone else has put out a project also called Final Fantasy Rebalanced. It doesn't seem terribly comprehensive, though. (As a point of reference, it says that it didn't fix the Temper/Saber bug....). Since I noticed that, I've been wondering if I should change the title. A few options have come to mind:

1) Ignore this other thing but risk possible confusion;

2) Build on the name recognition of Final Fantasy Restored, and call it "Final Fantasy Restored & Rebalanced" (nominally, but colloquially still refer to it as Final Fantasy Rebalanced);

3) Come up with a new name in the vein of Dawn of Souls (like "Soul of Chaos"?). One name that's been increasingly resonating with me is "Director's Cut". The downside is that it risks coming across as pretentious, but the upside is that I think it accurately describes my goals at this point. My vision has essentially evolved to be in line with tweaking the game like SE has taken to doing with their International versions (another possible name). I've taken some liberties that may be comparable in degree to what Dawn of Souls did, but with an eye toward maintaining the feel of the original game.

II. BUG FIXES AND ENHANCEMENTS
All known bugs from the base game are fixed (with the partial exception of the door bug). See the “Bug Fixes and Enhancements” sticky if you want more information on the many bugs in this game. Credit goes primarily to anomie, as well as Paulygon and Alex Jackson.

anomie has also engineered several enhancement patches that I’ve implemented. Thanks also to Grond for many contributions, among them several string expansions and the DTE table expansion, a Title Screen, a new font, several Icons, and a few other tidbits. Finally, a huge thanks to Disch for his commentary on how the game's coding works; this really enabled me to take things to the next level.

This patch introduces several new mechanics, although I have tried to make changes as intuitive as possible. I'm hitting most of the major ones I can recall here, but you'll likely notice other minor things here and there.

A. Essential Differences

1. General Changes
–The text in the game has been revised to be more true to the original Japanese version in substance, while embodying the more natural feel of subsequent localizations. Substantively, I have tried to filter out things added from Dawn of Souls onward (for example, Garland being motivated by a desire to rule Cornelia). Some terminology has been altered (for example, I've retained the NES "Zeus Gauntlets" instead of the subsequent localization of "Gauntlets" to add more flavor).
–Censored graphics have been restored (barring the Medusas and Evil Eye, as consistent with subsequent localizations).
–Each class now has two sprite options.
–New music based on subsequent releases has been added (composed by LeviathanMist).
–You can now see the contents of a chest even when you have full inventory. Duplicate chests have been removed or had their treasures replaced, some spiked squares have been added to guard more valuable items, and some treasure chest contents have had their positions changed. This said, most treasures should be where you remember them.
–Many enemies have had their stats tweaked, particularly bosses. Enemy formations have likewise been adjusted. These changes are, for the most part, marginal, and the majority of enemies should be largely as you remember them.
–A new quest and dungeon have been added to the Aldi Sea portion of the game in order to improve gameplay flow and minimize the need for grinding.

AstralEsper
4 months ago#2
2. Mechanical Changes
–Improved Random Number Generator
–Improved Turn Order Algorithm
–Preemptive chance includes all party members' stats
–Poison and Regeneration now decrease/increase by 8% of Max HP
–Dark Status Hit% Penalty increased from 40 to 80.
–Weapon Element Bonus increased from +4 to +8 (Accuracy Still +40)
–Luck/8 is added to Critical Rate
–Sleep Waking Threshold increased (basically, better chance for enemies to stay asleep)
–Soft, Life, and Life 2 work in-battle
–Enemy spell lists are now shuffled, and they will proceed through their spells in random order (but will go through the entire list before repeating).
–Silenced Enemies now always attack
–Status Attacks now have a 30% base chance to inflict status. This chance is reduced by M.Def/4 for most statuses, and reduced by VIT for Poison and Sleep.
–Masters are now immune from Status Attacks. They are still vulnerable to Spells and Special Attacks.
–The spells cast by Enchanted Items have been weakened, generally from a Tier 2 spell (Fire 2, Dia 2, etc.) to a Tier 1 spell (Fire, Dia, etc.). As compensation, spell-casting items, when equipped, now imbue an elemental affinity/spell amp that improves the accuracy and consistency of damage/healing rolls of spells of a particular element (or, in the case of Healing and Enhancing, spell type).

3. Classes have been adjusted so that they are more balanced with each other.
–Monks have had their unarmed/unarmored formulas altered to make them more consistently useful throughout the game.
–Equipment and spells have been reworked so that each one is a legitimate choice, even if it is simply situational. Most original equipment and spells remain in name and spirit, though some unsalvageable ones have been removed.
–The Weapon and Armor menus have been merged into a single "Equipment" menu. Instead of four Weapon slots and four Armor slots, each character now has eight Equipment slots.

B. Quality of Life Improvements
–Unrunnable battles notify you that you cannot run when you attempt to select the run command. (The vast majority of battles remain runnable).
–A new "Buy Max" option in Item Shops, which buys however many items you need to buy in order to get to 99. So, if you have 0 Potions, you will buy 99. If you have 17, you will buy 82. If you have 73, you will buy 26. Please note that if you cannot afford the number to reach 99, this option will simply say you do not have enough money and will not work. (Coding around this would likely prove too space-intensive).
–Critical Rate, Number of Hits, Magic Defense, and Elemental Properties are now listed on the Status screen.
–Dash Button (Hold B to walk [or fly] at Ship Speed)
–Item Menu Order Adjustment – Healing Items now on Top
–Warp/Exit Confirmation (confirm spell before taking effect)
–Poison Status no longer rearranges party order

I am considering redesigning the Status Screen further. It feels a bit crowded as-is, and I'm not certain the Element/Enemy Type portion is clear. To explain, see this example of a Red Wizard equipped with the Flame Sword, Flame Mail, and Zeus Gauntlets:

https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/5/4/0/AAKjgnAAAeKU.png

The "Sword" Icon next to the Fire means her physical attack is Fire elemental, and the Sword Icon next to Regenerative means it does extra damage to those enemies. The Shield Icon next to Ice and Lightning means that those are resisted. The Rod Icon next to Lighting means that she has Lightning affinity, so her Bolt spells will have a slightly higher base power, and a higher chance of doubling.

C. Known Issues
There are a few kinks I'm still trying to work out. These include (but are not necessarily limited to):

Things I know how to fix (but have not gotten around to yet):
*If the Item Shop List is 7 or 8 entires long, the top of the "Gil" box will get erased along with the Item List.
*The lower left corner of the otherwise green gil box has a blue pixel in it.
*Highlighting on the word "Drop" in the Equip Menu does not include the "p"
*Some spells in the item menu do not use the correct sound effect.
*A soft reset will sometimes mess up the title screen.

Things I am not yet sure how to fix:
*The game crashes when you get a Game Over (in practice, this isn't an impediment to progress; just hit reset). I've actually spent some time trying to fix this, and so far I'm baffled. I understand what's going wrong (it seems to be trying to read from bank 04 instead of bank 0d for the party defeated music), but not why it's going wrong.
*A few sprites appear to be invisible. (But still work normally otherwise).
*Some status-infliction messages may sometimes be incorrect - in particular, inflicting Poison on an enemy will register the message "Slain" instead of "Poisoned".
*The Floating Castle Window only uses the second, post-Crystal lighting dialogue, and does not register the initial one.
*The display data for Gil gained after a battle only has two bytes devoted to it, which prevents it from correctly displaying values above 65,535 (they appear as various symbols). I'll need to add another byte into the battle rewards routine.

To-Do List:
*Re-implement the "Cast - Sort - Forget" menu for the Magic screen
*Make Equipment show up in the same order in the Menu Screen as in Shops and Battles (possible, but for various reasons, not as easy as it sounds).
*Implement the "Option" menu (this currently redirects to the Status screen), which will allow the player to alter Battle Speed and Menu Color.
*Potentially revise the Status Screen (it feels a bit crowded as-is).
*Try to re-fix the door bug (anomie's old fix partially but not completely fixed it).
*Realign the world map more neatly into the encounter cell grid (the PNEOP is only the most noticeable; upon closer inspection, the grid alignment with the world map is incredibly sloppy).
*Potentially restore the Ship Game while leaving new music in.
*Rename spells to follow the -ra and -ga convention (I'll be doing this last, since I know many of you prefer the numbered versions).

III. CLASSES
https://gamefaqs1.cbsistatic.com/user_image/5/4/1/AAKjgnAAAeKV.png

Generally, the Fighter has been made weaker and the Thief has been made stronger. Both now feature a greater emphasis on magic, as Knights and Ninja immediately gain some spell charges on class change. Knights can now use up to L4 magic. Thieves are now able to equip Light Armor.

The Monk has been strengthened at lower levels and weakened at higher levels. Its special formulas for unarmed Attack and Defense have been altered.

The Red Mage now starts with one L1 spell charge instead of the two the White and Black Mages do, and gains spell charges more slowly. However, Red Mages also now have consistent access to Light Armor and Gauntlets through the end of the game, instead of only the early game. Additionally, Red Mages lose access to Haste (Red Wizards keep it), but gain access to Heal and Heal 2 (Red Wizards get Heal 3).

White and Black Mages have had their weapons improved such that they can contribute meaningful physical attacks, if weaker and less reliable than other classes. In the midgame, weapons start to become available that give them the choice between a decent physical attack, and amplifying their magic power.

All classes now have much more equitable stat growth (for example, in the original game, Fighters had 147 guaranteed stat gains over 49 levels, while Black Mages only had 103).
(edited 4 months ago)

AstralEsper
4 months ago#3
A. Class Descriptions

FIGHTER (Class Change to KNIGHT)
Initial – Growth
HP: 33 – B+
STR: 15 – A
AGI: 5 – C
INT: 3 – D
VIT: 12 – B-
LCK: 5 – C-
ACC: 5 (+2)
MDF: 15 (+2)

PRIMARY ROLE: Tank
SECONDARY ROLE: Damage dealer
TERTIARY ROLES: Healer, Support (Knight Only)

DESCRIPTION: Fighters rely on raw strength and vitality. They can wear more armor than any other basic class, and are the only class that can equip heavy armor. They have the highest Strength, and well above average HP. They suffer, however, in terms of Agility, which is aggravated by the weight of heavy armor. Their accuracy and number of hits are average, and they have some trouble running from fights. Of course, with a Fighter in the front row, you probably won't need to.

Weapons: Axes, Hammers, Knives, Staves, Broadswords, Falchions, Longswords, Rapiers
Armor: Heavy Armor, Light Armor, Armlets, Helmets, Gauntlets, Shields, Cloaks, Clothing

KNIGHT: Knights gain the ability to equip more powerful weapons and armor, and also learn how to use low to mid level White Magic, allowing them to provide support or emergency healing.

Added Magic: White 1-4

THIEF (Class Change to NINJA)
Initial – Growth
HP: 30 – C
STR: 5 – C
AGI: 12 – B-
INT: 5 – C-
VIT: 3 – D
LCK: 15 – A
ACC: 15 (+3)
MDF: 15 (+2)

PRIMARY ROLE: Finesse Fighter
SECONDARY ROLE: Reliable Runner
TERTIARY ROLES: Crowd Control, Support (Ninja Only)

DESCRIPTION: Thieves are relatively weak and have poor vitality, with a limited selection in weaponry and armor. They do however have excellent dexterity and agility, making them very accurate and evasive fighters. Their uncanny luck means they can be counted on to escape from nearly any battle – provided escape is possible.

Weapons: Knives, Katanas, Falchions, Rapiers
Armor: Light Armor, Armlets, Bucklers, Cloaks, Clothing

NINJA: Ninjas have all the agility and dexterity of a Thief, but their enhanced skill allows them to equip almost any weapon and wear heavier armor than a Thief could without compromising their performance. Ninjas can also learn low to mid level Black Magic, and gain a boost to magic defense upon class change.

Added Weapons: Axes, Hammers, Nunchucks, Staves, Broadswords, Longswords
Added Armor: Shields, Helmets, Gauntlets
Added Magic: Black 1-4
Added Stats: +25 Magic Defense

MONK (Class Change to MASTER)
Initial – Growth
HP: 35 – A
STR: 12 – B+
AGI: 7 – C
INT: 1 – D
VIT: 15 – A
ACC: 20 (+2)
MDF: 10 (+1)

PRIMARY ROLE: Damage Dealer
SECONDARY ROLE: Backup Tank

DESCRIPTION: Monks are the most physically-oriented class, and their high vitality provides them with the best HP growth. They have the option of fighting with weapons (Staves and Nunchucks) or their bare hands (which increase in power with each level), giving them a hit with each fist. Generally, fighting bare-handed allows them to land more hits and cause more overall damage, while fighting with weapons allows them to better pierce defenses.

In order to optimize their performance in battle, Monks eschew all but Armlets and basic Clothing, and so have limited defensive options. However, the less armor they wear, the more they can rely on the defensive benefits their training confers. Unarmored, their Defense increases by two points every level. Each piece of armor adds to their defense but reduces this natural bonus somewhat, with body armor carrying a heavier penalty.

Their resistance to magic is quite low, and they will get hit harder with spells than any other class. Despite their high HP, this leaves them potentially vulnerable to enemy attacks.

Weapons: Nunchucks, Staves
Armor: Armlets, Clothing

MASTER: The Master possesses the same martial skills of the Monk, but with added physical and mental discipline. Masters have slightly improved resistance to magic, and their bodies are immune from infliction of any on-strike physical status attack from an enemy.

Added Stats: +25 Magic Defense
Added Trait: Status Attack Immunity

RED MAGE (Class Change to RED WIZARD)
Initial – Growth
HP: 30 – C
STR: 8 – C+
AGI: 8 – C+
INT: 10 – B-
VIT: 8 – C
LCK: 6 – C
ACC: 7 (+2)
MDF: 18 (+3)

PRIMARY ROLE: None
SECONDARY ROLES: Support, Crowd Control, Healer, Tank, Damage Dealer

DESCRIPTION: Red Mages are a hybrid class, proficient in both melee and magical abilities, albeit not to the same degree as their specialized counterparts. They can equip almost any sword and knife, have access to light armor and gauntlets, and can use low to mid level White and Black Magic (with some exceptions). Combined with very balanced stats, this allows them to fill almost any role in a party.

Weapons: Knives, Broadswords, Falchions, Longswords, Rapiers
Armor: Light Armor, Armlets, Gauntlets, Bucklers, Clothing
Magic: White and Black L1-5

RED WIZARD: Red Wizards gain increased access to Weaponry, Armor, and White and Black Magic, now capable of learning most mid- and some high- level spells. They lose some of their luster later on as other classes gain unique abilities or equipment that they lack, but their versatility remains an invaluable asset.

Added Magic: White and Black L1-7

WHITE MAGE (Class Change to WHITE WIZARD)
Initial – Growth
HP: 28 – C
STR: 8 – C
AGI: 4 – C
INT: 15 – B+
VIT: 8 – C+
ACC: 5 (+1)
MDF: 23 (+3)

PRIMARY ROLE: Healer
SECONDARY ROLE: Support
TERTIARY ROLE: Anti-Undead

DESCRIPTION: White Mages are capable of using all low- to mid- level, and some high level White Magic. They have decent physical strength and vitality, and average agility. They eschew bladed weapons, and the weapons available to them tend to be reasonably powerful but inaccurate. Their armor selection is poor, leading to low defense, but their HP gives them some measure of survivability. The White Mage is both an excellent support class as well as a potent anti-undead unit.

Weapons: Hammers, Staves, Rods
Armor: Robes, Armlets, Clothing
Magic: White L1-7

WHITE WIZARD: White Wizards are capable of learning any White Magic spell, and are unmatched in their ability to heal and support a party. They also gain access to some new weapons and armor.

Added Magic: White L1-8

BLACK MAGE (Class Change to BLACK WIZARD)
Initial – Growth
HP: 25 – D
STR: 3 – D
AGI: 10 – C+
INT: 15 – A
VIT: 2 – D
LCK: 10 – C+
ACC: 5 (+1)
MDF: 28 (+3)

PRIMARY ROLE: Crowd Control
SECONDARY ROLE: Damage Dealer
TERTIARY ROLE: Support, Runner

DESCRIPTION: Black Mages are capable of using all low- to mid-level, and some high-level, Black Magic. They have very poor strength and vitality, but boast high levels of intelligence. They also have good agility and are decent runners. They can use most daggers, which are very accurate but weak, and most staves, which are less accurate but somewhat stronger. They have the same poor armor selection that White Mages have, but with fewer HP, making them more fragile than any other class. Black Mages are at their best in exercising crowd control when presented with large groups of enemies or when able to exploit an elemental weaknesses.

Weapons: Knives, Staves, Rods
Armor: Robes, Armlets, Clothing
Magic: Black L1-7

BLACK WIZARD: Black Wizards are able to learn any Black Magic spell, capable of choosing between incapacitating status magic, sweeping hit-all attacks, concentrated single-target spells, and even some useful support magic. They also gain access to some new weapons and armor.

Added Magic: Black L1-8

AstralEsper
4 months ago#4
B. Monk/Master Formulae
For Monks, both unarmed and armed attacks are viable throughout the game, with unarmed delivering more hits and armed providing more damage piercing. Their natural defense is now slot-based, like Dawn of Souls, where each piece of armor reduces their natural defense proportionally, rather than a single piece of armor overriding all natural defense.

Armed Attack Rate Formula = Weapon + STR/2
Unarmed Attack Rate Formula = Level + STR/2 (was 2*Level)
Unarmed Number of Hits are Double
Unarmed Critical Rate = 10 + Level/2 + LCK/8 (Was 2*Level)
Bare Defense = 2*Level, reduced by 5*Level/4 for body armor, Level/4 for other armor.

EXAMPLES: An unarmed Level 16 Monk with 50 Accuracy, 26 STR, and 14 LCK will have the following derived stats under the following circumstances:

Bare Weapon/Armor
Attack: 29 [16 + (26/2)]
Hits: 4 [2*(50/32)]
Crit Rate: 19 [10 + (16/2) + 14/8]
Defense: 32 [16*2]

Equipping Mythril Nunchucks (+32 Attack, +32 Accuracy, +15 Crit)
Attack: 45 [32 + (26/2)]
Hits: 3 [82/32]
Crit Rate: 16 [15 + 14/8]

Equipping Gloves (+2 Defense)
Defense: 30 [(16*2) + 2 - 16/4]

Equipping Ruby Armlet (+24 Defense)
Defense: 36 [16*2 + 24 - 5*16/4]

IV. EQUIPMENT
Equipment has been overhauled in function while remaining largely the same in name. Icons for different types of equipment are significant. Different armor and weapon types have unique icons, and class permissions are, with rare exceptions, consistent across equipment types. For example, Katanas are a Thief/Ninja specialty class of weapons (Scimitar, Sasuke's Blade), but the Masamune shares the same sprite/icon, and retains its universal equipability as one of these rare exceptions. However, as a general matter, icons are a good heuristic to use to figure out which classes can equip something.

Basic universal pieces of equipment fall into the "Clothing" category - including Clothes and the Leather Cap and Gloves. Any class can equip these.

There are four categories of Body Armor: Armlets, Robes, Light Armor, and Heavy Armor. The separation of general "armor" into Light and Heavy is new, and based on a distinction the original game makes in referring to some equipment as "mail" (Chainmail, Mythril Mail, Flame Mail, Dragon Mail) and some equipment as "armor" (Iron Armor, Knight's Armor, Ice Armor, Diamond Armor). While the original game is not terribly consistent in how these are treated as far as equipment permissions go, these served as convenient categorical differentiators, particularly with how evenly they naturally occur over the course of the game. Now, Fighters, Thieves, and Red Mages can all use Light Armor, while Heavy Armor is reserved for Fighters.

Thieves are still unable to use other armor, but gain universal access to Shields, Helmets, and Gauntlets upon class change.

Red Mages can now use lower-level Gauntlets, in line with their advanced Red Wizard selves.

Ribbons no longer occupy a head slot; now, they occupy a unique accessory slot. This means that characters can have four pieces of armor equipped, plus a Ribbon as a fifth.

Several pieces of equipment now have additional properties, which are noted to the far right. For example, the Defender now increases defense, and Rods boost INT. Some equipment also adds elemental affinity, denoted by a +[Element]. This is explained further in the magic section.

CLASSES...............................ELEMENTS.............ENEMY TYPES
FI = Fighter.....KN = Knight..........FI = Fire............SN = Supernatural
TH = Thief.......NI = Ninja...........IC = Ice.............DR = Dragon
MK = Monk........MA = Master..........LT = Lightning.......GI = Giant
RM = Red Mage....RW = Red Wizard......ER = Earth...........UD = Undead
WM = White Mage..WW = White Wizard....ST = Status..........BS = Beast
BM = Black Mage..BW = Black Wizard....PS = Poison/Stone....AQ = Aquatic
......................................TM = Time............MA = Mage
......................................DE = Death...........RG = Regenerative

A. Weapons

KNIVES -- ATK ACC CRIT PRICE ELEMENT SPELL USABLE
Knife.......5..10..12.....20.None....None..FI TH -- RM -- BM
Dagger......8..20..12....225.None....None..FI TH -- RM -- BM
Mythril....13..25..12...2500.None....None..FI TH -- RM -- BM
Cat's Claw.24..40..12..45000.None....None..KN NI -- RW -- BW

RAPIERS - ATK ACC CRIT PRICE ELEMENT SPELL USABLE
Rapier......7...5..10.....45.None....None..FI TH -- RM
Sabre......15..10..10....900.None....None..FI TH -- RM
Coral......25..20..10..12000.AQ......None..FI TH -- RM
Razer......32..30..10..55000.PS/RG.ToxicGs.KN NI -- RW -- -- +Poison

KATANAS - ATK ACC CRIT PRICE ELEMENT SPELL USABLE
Scimitar...25..25..30..30000.None....None..-- TH -- -- -- -- +10 Evasion
Sasuke’s...35..40..30..60000.None....None..-- NI -- -- -- -- +10 Evasion
Masamune...45..50..30..65000.None....None..FI TH MK RM WM BM +10 Evasion

FALCHIONS ATK ACC CRIT PRICE ELEMENT SPELL USABLE
Falchion...10..15...5....250.None....None..FI TH -- RM
Runeblade..18..15...5...8000.SN/MA...None..FI TH -- RM
Flame......26..25...5..15000.FI/RG...None..FI TH -- RM
Vorpal.....30..30...5..30000.None....None..KN NI -- RW -- -- +Snicker-Snack

BROADSWDS ATK ACC CRIT PRICE ELEMENT SPELL USABLE
Broadsword.12..10...5....300.None....None..FI NI -- RM
Giant......21..20...5...8000.GI......None..FI NI -- RM
Defender...27..35...5..40000.None....Blink.KN NI -- RW -- -- +5 Def

LONGSWRDS ATK ACC CRIT PRICE ELEMENT SPELL USABLE
Longsword..18..12...5...2000.None....None..FI NI -- RM
Sunblade...19..15...5...8000.UD......None..FI NI -- RM
Mythril....24..20...5...5000.None....None..FI NI -- RM
Icebrand...28..20...5..15000.IC......None..FI NI -- RM
Excalibur..40..35...5..60000.ALL.....None..KN

AXES ---- ATK ACC CRIT PRICE ELEMENT SPELL USABLE
Battle.....18...6...8....550.None....None..FI NI
Great......24...9...8...2500.None....None..FI NI
Mythril....30..12...8...6500.None....None..FI NI
Light......36..15...8..18000.UD......Dia...FI NI
Wyrmkiller.42..18...8..30000.DR......None..FI NI

HAMMERS - ATK ACC CRIT PRICE ELEMENT SPELL USABLE
Iron........8...0...3.....30.None....None..FI NI -- -- WM
Mythril....18..12...3...3500.None....None..FI NI -- -- WM
Beastbane..23..16...3..10000.Beast...None..FI NI -- -- WM
Thor’s.....33..20...3..40000.LI......Flash.KN NI -- -- WW -- +Lightning

STAVES -- ATK ACC CRIT PRICE ELEMENT SPELL USABLE
Staff.......7...0...3.....10.None....None..FI TH MK RM WM BM
Crosier....14...0...3....400.SN/UD...None..FI -- MK -- WM
Power......28...0...3..12345.None...Temper.FI NI MK -- WM BM

RODS ---- ATK ACC CRIT PRICE ELEMENT SPELL USABLE
Healing.....8..15...1..25000.DE/UD...Heal..-- -- -- -- WM -- +5 Int, +Healing
Mage’s.....14..15...1..25000.FI/MA...Flame.-- -- -- -- -- BM +5 Int, +Fire
Wizard’s...22..20...1..50000.ST/SN...Sleep.-- -- -- -- WW BW +5 Int, +Status

NUNCHUCKS ATK ACC CRIT PRICE ELEMENT SPELL USABLE
Wooden.....16..16..15....600.None....None..-- -- -- MK
Mythril....32..32..15..20000.None....None..-- -- -- MK

AstralEsper
4 months ago#5
B. Armor

1. BODY ARMOR

CLOTHING - DEF WGT PRICE RESISTANCE -- SPELL - USABLE
Clothes......4...2....10.None..........None....FI TH MK RM WM BM

ROBES ---- DEF WGT PRICE RESISTANCE -- SPELL - USABLE
White Robe..28...2.....2.FI/LT/PS/DE...Invis...-- -- -- -- WW -- +5 Int, +Enhancing
Black Robe..28...2.....2.IC/ER/ST/TM..SnowStrm.-- -- -- -- -- BW +5 Int, +Ice

ARMLETS -- DEF WGT PRICE RESISTANCE -- SPELL - USABLE
Copper.......6...1...500.None..........None....FI TH MK RM WM BM
Silver......12...1..5000.None..........None....FI TH MK RM WM BM
Ruby........24...1.50000.None..........None....FI TH MK RM WM BM
Diamond.....36...1.65000.None..........None....FI TH MK RM WM BM

LIGHTARMOR DEF WGT PRICE RESISTANCE -- SPELL - USABLE
Chainmail...10..10....80.None..........None....FI TH -- RM
Mythril.....20..10..7500.None..........None....FI TH -- RM
Flame.......30..10.30000.IC............None....FI TH -- RM
Dragon......40..10.65000.FI/IC/LT......None....KN NI -- RW

HEAVYARMOR DEF WGT PRICE RESISTANCE -- SPELL - USABLE
Iron........20..25..1600.None..........None....FI
Knightly....40..40.30000.None..........None....FI -- -- -- -- -- +25 HP
Ice.........40..25.30000.FI............None....FI
Diamond.....50..25.50000.LI............None....KN

2. SHIELD/CLOAK

SHIELDS -- DEF WGT PRICE RESISTANCE -- SPELL - USABLE
Bronze.......2...0...150.None..........None....FI NI
Iron.........4...0...800.None..........None....FI NI
Mythril......8...0..4000.None..........None....FI NI
Flame.......12...0.10000.IC............None....FI NI
Ice.........12...0.10000.FI............None....FI NI
Aegis.......16...0.40000.PS............None....KN NI
Diamond.....20...0.15000.LT............None....KN NI

BUCKLERS - DEF WGT PRICE RESISTANCE -- SPELL - USABLE
Buckler......3...0..3500.None..........None....FI TH -- RM

CLOAKS --- DEF WGT PRICE RESISTANCE -- SPELL - USABLE
Leather......2...2....80.None..........None....FI TH -- RM WM BM
Mythril......6...2..6000.None..........None....FI TH -- RM WM BM
Protect.....10...2.20000.None..........None....FI TH -- RM WM BM

3. HEAD ARMOR

HEADGEAR - DEF WGT PRICE RESISTANCE -- SPELL - USABLE
Leather......2...1....40.None..........None....FI TH MK RM WM BM
Feathered....4...1..7500.None..........None....FI TH MK RM WM BM

HELMETS -- DEF WGT PRICE RESISTANCE -- SPELL - USABLE
Bronze.......3...3...150.None..........None....FI NI
Iron.........5...5...800.None..........None....FI NI
Mythril......6...3..4000.None..........None....FI NI
Healing......8...3.20000.None..........Heal....KN NI -- -- -- -- +Healing
Diamond.....12...5.20000.LT............None....KN NI

4. HAND ARMOR

GLOVES --- DEF WGT PRICE RESISTANCE -- SPELL - USABLE
Bronze.......3...3...150.None..........None....FI NI -- RM
Iron.........5...5...800.None..........None....FI NI -- RM
Mythril......6...3..4000.None..........None....FI NI -- RM
Zeus's.......6...3.15000.LT............Flash...KN NI -- RW -- -- +Lightning
Giant's......8...5.30000.None..........Saber...KN NI -- RW -- -- +3 Atk
Diamond.....12...5.20000.LT............None....KN NI -- RW

HANDWEAR --DEF WGT PRICE RESISTANCE -- SPELL - USABLE
Leather......2...1...120.None..........None....FI TH MK RM WM BM
Protect......6...1.20000.Death.........None....FI TH MK RM WM BM

5. ACCESSORIES

ACCESSORY- DEF WGT PRICE RESISTANCE -- SPELL - USABLE
Ribbon.......2...1.....2.ALL...........None....FI TH MK RM WM BM

V. MAGIC

A. White Magic

LEVEL 1 [ 100 Gil] TGT ACRY ELEM DESCRIPTION
Cure....[WM/RM/KN] [S] (--) -- Restores 24-32 HP to one ally
Dia.....[WM]------ [A] (64) -– Deals 20-80 damage to all undead
Protect.[WM/RM/KN] [A] (--) -– Increases defense by 4+ for all allies
Blink...[WM/RW/KN] [C] (--) -– Increases evasion by 80+ for self

LEVEL 2 [ 400 Gil] TGT ACRY ELEM DESCRIPTION
Esuna...[WM/RM/KN] [S] (–-) -- Cures all statuses except stone for one ally
Heal....[WM/RM/KN] [A] (–-) -- Restores 15-20 HP to all allies
Invis...[WM/RM/KN] [A] (–-) -- Increases evasion by 20+ for all allies
A-Bolt..[WM/RM/KN] [A] (–-) LT Grants all allies resistance to Lightning

LEVEL 3 [1500 Gil] TGT ACRY ELEM DESCRIPTION
Cure 2..[WM/RM/KN] [S] (–-) -- Restores 48-64 HP to one ally
Dia 2...[WM]------ [A] (64) -- Deals 50-200 damage to all undead
Silence.[WM/RM/KN] [A] (64) ST Silences all enemies
A-Fire..[WM/RM/KN] [A] (-–) FI Grants all allies resistance to Fire

LEVEL 4 [4000 Gil] TGT ACRY ELEM DESCRIPTION
Stona...[WM/RW/KN] [S] (-–) -- Cures petrifaction for one ally
Heal 2..[WM/RW/KN] [A] (–-) -- Restores 30-40 HP to all allies
Fear....[WM]------ [A] (32) ST Decreases Morale and Attack Power
A-Ice...[WM/RM/KN] [A] (–-) IC Grants all allies resistance to Ice

LEVEL 5 [8000 Gil] TGT ACRY ELEM DESCRIPTION
Cure 3..[WM/RM]--- [S] (–-) -- Restores 96-128 HP to one ally
Dia 3...[WM]------ [A] (64) -- Deals 80-320 damage to all undead
Life....[WM/RW]--- [S] (--) -- Revives one ally with 1 HP
Protect2[WM/RW]--- [A] (–-) -- Increases defense for all allies by 16+

LEVEL 6 [20000 Gil] TGT ACRY ELEM DESCRIPTION
Heal 3..[WM]------ [A] (–-) -- Restores 60-80 HP to all allies
Invis 2.[WM/RW]--- [A] (–-) -- Increases evasion for all allies by 40+
Exit....[WW/RW]--- [A] (-–) -- Teleports party outside of dungeon (flee in-battle)
A-Spell.[WM/RW]--- [A] (–-) SPDE Grants all allies resistance to Status, Poison/Stone, Death, and Earth

LEVEL 7 [45000 Gil] TGT ACRY ELEM DESCRIPTION
Cure 4..[WW]------ [S] (–-) -- Restores all HP and cures all status for one ally
Dia 4...[WW]------ [A] (80) -- Deals 100-400 damage to all undead
Shell...[WM/RW]--- [A] (-–) P/D/E Increases magic defense for all allies by 40+
Dispel..[WW/RW]--- [S] (120) -– Always neutralizes all status boosts against one enemy and may remove all resistances

LEVEL 8 [60000 Gil] TGT ACRY ELEM DESCRIPTION
Holy....[WW]------ [A] (107) -- Deals 80-320 non-elemental damage to all enemies (+ for SN/UD)
Life 2..[WW]------ [A] (–-) -- Revives one ally with full HP
Wall....[WW]------ [A] (–-) ALL Grants resistance to all elements and increases defense by 20 for all allies
?????...[WW]------ [A] (--) -- ??????

AstralEsper
4 months ago#6
B. Black Magic

LEVEL 1 [ 100 Gil] TGT ACRY ELEM DESCRIPTION
Fire....[BM/RM/NI] [S] (24) FI Deals 20-80 fire damage to one enemy
Bolt....[BM/RM/NI] [S] (24) LT Deals 20-80 lightning damage to one enemy
Lock....[BM/RM/NI] [A] (64) -- Decreases all enemies' evasion by 40+
Sleep...[BM/RM/NI] [A] (24) ST Puts all enemies to sleep

LEVEL 2 [ 400 Gil] TGT ACRY ELEM DESCRIPTION
Ice.....[BM/RM/NI] [S] (24) IC Deals 30-120 ice damage to one enemy
Slow....[BM/RM/NI] [A] (64) ST Halves all enemies' number of hits
Temper..[BM/RM/NI] [S] (--) -- Increases one ally’s attack power by 4+
Dark....[BM/RM/NI] [A] (24) ST Blinds all enemies

LEVEL 3 [1500 Gil] TGT ACRY ELEM DESCRIPTION
Fire 2..[BM/RM/NI] [A] (24) FI Deals 30-120 fire damage to all enemies
Bolt 2..[BM/RM/NI] [A] (24) LT Deals 30-120 lightning damage to all enemies
Focus...[BM/RM/NI] [A] (--) -- Increases all allies' accuracy by 40+
Hold....[BM/RM/NI] [A] (24) ST Paralyzes all enemies

LEVEL 4 [4000 Gil] TGT ACRY ELEM DESCRIPTION
Ice 2...[BM/RM/NI] [A] (24) IC Deals 40-160 ice damage to all enemies
Haste...[BM/RM/NI] [S] (–-) -- Doubles one ally's number of hits
Confuse.[BM/RM/NI] [A] (64) ST Confuses all enemies
Death...[BM]------ [S] (48) DE Kills one enemy

LEVEL 5 [8000 Gil] TGT ACRY ELEM DESCRIPTION
Fire 3..[BM/RM]--- [A] (24) FI Deals 50-200 fire damage to all enemies
Comet...[BM]------ [S] (107)-- Deals 60-240+ non-elemental damage to one enemy
Quake...[BM]------ [A] (40) ER Deals 30-120 earth damage and may kill all enemies
Warp....[BW/RW]--- [A] (-–) -- Teleports up one floor in a dungeon (flee in-battle)

LEVEL 6 [20000 Gil] TGT ACRY ELEM DESCRIPTION
Bolt 3..[BM/RW]--- [A] (24) LT Deals 60-240 lightning damage to all enemies
Scourge.[BM/RW]--- [A] (48) PS Deals 50-200 poison damage, may inflict Poison, Blind, and/or Sleep
Slow 2..[BW/RW]--- [A] (72) -- Halves hits, reduces Acc/Eva by 40+ for all
?????...[BM]------ [S] (64) -- ??????

LEVEL 7 [45000 Gil] TGT ACRY ELEM DESCRIPTION
Ice 3...[BM/RW]--- [A] (24) IC Deals 70-280 ice damage to all enemies
Saber...[BW/RW]--- [C] (--) -- Increases caster’s Attack by 12+ and Accuracy by 40
Break...[BW]------ [S] (64) PS Deals 100-400 poison/stone damage and may petrify one enemy
Stop....[BW]------ [A] (107) TM Paralyzes all enemies (guaranteed if HP < 300)

LEVEL 8 [60000 Gil] TGT ACRY ELEM DESCRIPTION
Meteor..[BW]------ [A] (107) -- Deals 100-400+ non-elemental damage to all enemies
Flare...[BW]------ [S] (152) -– Deals 125-500+ non-elemental base damage to one enemy
Banish..[BW]------ [A] (64) TM Removes all enemies (guaranteed if HP < 300)
Haste 2.[BW]------ [A] (--) -- Doubles hits, increases Acc/Eva by 40+ for all

C. INT Functionality

*Add INT to Chance-to-Hit for Status Magic
*Add INT to Chance-to-Double for Attack Magic
*Add INT/8 to Healing Power
*Add 3*INT/8 to Fear’s Morale Reduction
*Add 3*INT/16 to Attack Up/Down, Defense Up
*Add 3*INT/4 to Accuracy Up/Down, Evasion Up/Down
*Add INT to 300HP Limit
*Add INT/8 to spell power for which there is elemental affinity
*Add INT/2 to Comet/Meteor's power
*Add INT to Holy's power when striking Undead or Supernatural enemies
*Add INT to Flare's power

D. New Spell Functions

***Stona, Life, and Life 2 work in-battle. All previous stat changes are lost upon revival from death.

***Warp and Exit work in-battle, and escape from any runnable battle.

***Confused enemies now utilize an effect routine that mimics a single physical attack (Damage = A...2A - D). No criticals, no misses, just one guaranteed single-hit attack. This is instead of using Fire (10 to 40 Fire Elemental Damage) like in the original.

***Dispel may remove all elemental resistances, and always strips any change in Attack, Accuracy, Defense or Evasion, and neutralizes Slow/Haste.

***Slow no longer reduces hits to 1, but cuts hits in half.

***Many pieces of equipment that cast spells have had that spell weakened (for example, Fire 2 to an enemy skill with half the power, or Confuse down to Sleep), but now confer elemental affinity when equipped. This affinity will increase the accuracy and power of magic. Time/Space element improves attribute-enhancing magic, and Life-Death element improves healing magic.

***Attribute-increasing spells no longer stack. They get the following boosts based on the intelligence of the caster.

Accuracy, Evasion, Magic Defense = Base + 0.75*INT

Attack and Defense = Base + 3*INT/16

This should produce the following augments at the following INT levels:

INT....3*INT/4.....3*INT/16

Enhancing affinity will further boost attribute-increasing spells.

VI. ENEMIES

Various enemy formations have been altered, but most should be largely as you remember them. Some enemies have had their stats tweaked (usually to make them a bit stronger), and some been made a little spicier - for example, Goblin Guards now have 32 HP (rather than 16)and have a blinding status attack.

Bosses have generally had their HP doubled, and now feature True Immunity to some of the more debilitating statuses attacks - namely, Death, Petrifaction, Paralysis, and Confusion (Blind, Sleep, Poison, and Silence may still work). This means that any spell attempting to inflict one of these statuses will automatically fail, without even a standard 1/201 chance. The reason for this was to deal with the Dispel dilemma - that is, most of its utility was against bosses, but if it hit a boss, it opened it up to instant death spells, which are now generally much more accurate. I wanted Dispel to remain useful against bosses, but I didn't want people to cheese Chaos with a ~30% chance of Banish working post-Dispel. This was the best compromise I could think of to achieve that balance.

Enemies now proceed through their spell lists in a random order, but will complete a full list before they reuse spells (note that some spells may be slotted more than once). So, Chaos won't wind up spamming Cure 4. Enemy Special Attacks, for those few enemies who have more than one, are simply randomly selected.

Certain global changes to enemy groups have been made as well that it may be useful to take note of:

*Reptiles and Insects are now weak to Ice.
*Large, lumbering enemies are now weak to Earth.
*Humanoids are now weak to Poison/Stone
*Enemies that inflict Poison/Stone now generally resist it.
*The Were family, which previously consisted of only two enemies, has been expanded and rendered the Beast Family, which consists of not only Werebeasts, but animals and insects
*Elementals are now weak to Time (Stop and Banish)
*The vast majority of non-undead enemies are now weak to Death (which allows the Death spell to be more effective for the player yet not drastically more dangerous when used against the player).
(edited 4 months ago)

AstralEsper
4 months ago#7
VII. THOUGHTS
In general, I'm interested to hear what people think of the various changes. I've definitely departed further from the base game than earlier versions of this patch, but I do feel that the changes further improve gameplay.

I was very hesitant to add a new quest and dungeon to the main part of the game, but I ultimately concluded that the game would just play better with more to do in the early game. Still, I tried to incorporate it into the game world as smoothly as possible. I'd be curious to hear thoughts on how effectively this was done, both in terms of concept and actual gameplay.

I've also tried to make it so that all equipment and spells have legitimate uses. It's okay for some things to be situational, so long as there are actually situations in which they'd make sense. If you see any weak links, let me know. Current things I'm looking at include:

--Mythril Sword. It doesn't seem that there's anything wrong with it, so much as there almost always seems to be a better option available (unless you have mostly Fighters and Red Mages).

--Lock and/or Focus. I'm considering removing one, and adding a L3 Spell: Bio, 40...160 Poison damage, single target, with a chance to poison. But, I like that both effects are present separately from Slow 2 and Haste 2.

--Soft. I've been considering condensing it into Esuna and then adding Esuna 2? (Target All)?

I've also been thinking about scaling back the wholesale Mystic Key Mythril gear. It seems weird to get so much of it before Melmond when it's sold in Crescent Lake.

I'm also curious to hear any thoughts on the sprites or various UI changes. I made all the female sprites, and three of the male class change sprites, myself. I based them on the sprites in FF1, the sprites in the remakes, and sprites in FF3 and FF5. I'm not exactly a pixel artist, and I think they could still use some work, but I tried to make it look like they'd fit in the original game.

And that's about all I've got the energy to post for now. Have fun!

User Info: usernamehere

usernamehere
4 months ago#8
Thanks for sticking to your mod for so long. The amount of patience (and coffee) required in unimaginable, considering the nature of ASM coding.

As for picking which spell to drop between Lock and Focus, I'm inclined to pick Lock. Focus always works while Lock can fail. Also, Lock is directly competing with Sleep, which also reduces incoming damage.

Unless you could somehow upgrade Lock or Focus to that blank slot in level 6?
"Do you see my ship? Does it look OK to you??" -Falco

User Info: beege_man

beege_man
4 months ago#9
Woohoo! Great work getting this far and sticking with it and seeing this first version released! FWIW I think "Restored & Rebalanced" is a good compromise. Your Restored hack is fairly well known, so that just takes it a step further while differentiating yourself from the other generic rebalanced hack.
L39 423/423 9/9/8/8/7/7/7/6 HP8 Pa3 Int/MDef: 53/96
HDCEA: 106-101-96/49-51-44/3-4-6.5/82/46(37) Resist: (Fire)/(Lit)/Death AtkElem: Ice-Fire-Coral

User Info: shadow_master01

shadow_master01
4 months ago#10
Huzzah! Glad to see this released! I hope others enjoy this.
"If you were looking for the Staff of Thunder you're in the wrong town, planet, and game."
~Well Inscription - Star Ocean 4
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. Final Fantasy Restored & Rebalanced (DC?)
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A