You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. Claire's Ribbon (and other design document curiosities)

User Info: AstralEsper

AstralEsper
4 weeks ago#1
So, a little while back, they finally translated a couple volumes of the Ultimania Archive (which contain information on various Square games, most particularly the Final Fantasy series). I cracked open Volume I, covering Final Fantasy I through VI. It didn't have many of my hoped-for backstory or plot development details (although Final Fantasy II does have some very interesting development notes), but there were still some notable curiosities I thought might be of interest to some here, and perhaps even stoke a bit of discussion on the design process for FFI, and what might have been.

A particularly interesting exhibit is a Weapon and Armor list from September 8, 1987 - a few months before the game released in Japan. It matches up pretty closely with the lists in the game as-released, and even the flavor text for each item appears to match that used in the remakes - for example, the Masamune is described as "A legendary katana without peer." Still, there are a few differences.

I find the most enigmatic of these to be a piece of armor, named "Claire's Ribbon." Described as "a ribbon that wards off special attacks," it's obvious enough that this was just a different name for the Ribbon - but it begs the question: just who was "Claire" supposed to be? Names are used sparingly among weapons and armor, and when they are present, they're usually references to something - for example, Sasuke's Blade is likely a reference to Sarutobi Sasuke, a ninja in Japanese folklore.

What makes this all the more curious is that "Claire" is not a name without significance in the Final Fantasy series: Claire is Lightning's real name in Final Fantasy 13. Now, the significant separation of years between these two games, and the fact that Sakaguchi and (I believe?) the others who were involved with FF1 were long gone by the time FF13 came along, suggest that, on balance, it's more likely than not to be a coincidence. But it definitely made me raise an eyebrow, since Final Fantasy tends to reuse certain names, and now I'm trying to remember if the name "Claire" ever comes up in the earlier Final Fantasy games.

There's also a weapon named "Rey's Saber," described as "A special saber." This is probably an imprecise transliteration of the "Razer" from the final game (localized as the Bane Sword on the NES), but I have to admit, reading this in a post-Force Awakens world, it gave me a chuckle.

There were five armlets in this list: Copper, Silver, Gold, Ruby, and Diamond. Gold got cut from the final game, but in an odd turn, the Ruby armlet was localized as "Gold" on the NES.

The White and Black Robes are not present on this list, but there is an item called "Wizard's Clothing," which is described as "Clothes that increase Black Magic power." This indicates that, at some point in development, the game designers planned for at least one equippable item to affect magic use. It could have been something as simple as increasing the Intelligence stat a bit, which became common in the series, but the specificity of "Black Magic" almost suggests something more along the lines of the Elemental "Affinity" or "Amp" effects that showed up in later games, enhancing a particular element or ability if a particular piece of equipment was worn. Who's to say why they scrapped it, although considering they rushed the game to completion before they so much as gave the Intelligence stat an actual function, it's not hard to see why the "Wizard's Clothing" boost might have been seen as not worth the effort to program.

Finally, we have the Ray Gauntlets (as distinct from Rey's Saber). The description gives away the reason it was probably cut: "Completely refills HP." Final Fantasy may have been an unbalanced, buggy mess, but at least they had the good sense to cut something that broken!

User Info: silktail

silktail
4 weeks ago#2
AstralEsper posted...
Finally, we have the Ray Gauntlets (as distinct from Rey's Saber). The description gives away the reason it was probably cut: "Completely refills HP." Final Fantasy may have been an unbalanced, buggy mess, but at least they had the good sense to cut something that broken!

Maybe I'm mis-remembering someone, or perhaps another game... But I think they were planing for gauntlets(/ring) that gradually regenerates HP.

Monster's regen doesn't work in FF1 though, so I imagine party regen wouldn't work either!
---

User Info: LeviathanMist

LeviathanMist
4 weeks ago#3
silktail posted...

Maybe I'm mis-remembering someone, or perhaps another game... But I think they were planing for gauntlets(/ring) that gradually regenerates HP.

Monster's regen doesn't work in FF1 though, so I imagine party regen wouldn't work either!
---

The GBA/PSP ports had the Lordly Robes which regenerate HP every turn. Maybe you were thinking of that?

User Info: Shadow_FF6

Shadow_FF6
4 weeks ago#4
If the Ribbon entered into the game as Claire's Ribbon, then I think we'd have had a lot more Claire's in the series. She'd beat Cid, Chocobos and Moogles for recurring characters, if only by name. Does the Ribbon exist in every game in the series? That doesn't mean that the actual character would have to be, but Final Fantasy does enjoy it's recurring elements.

I could even see FF2 or 3 being made into a prequel that explains who this Claire was who had such a powerful artifact named after her.
`/\ |\ | | \ `-|- `|_| |-_|) |-_`|` `|` |)
/--\ | \| | / ` | `|` | |_ |\ |_` |__| ` |\
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: silktail

silktail
4 weeks ago#5
LeviathanMist posted...
The GBA/PSP ports had the Lordly Robes which regenerate HP every turn. Maybe you were thinking of that?

Lordly Robes weren't in the GBA version.

But I was more worried if I was confusing it was the Angel's Ring, which grants regen and is normally unobtainable on GBA.
---
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. Claire's Ribbon (and other design document curiosities)