You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. Final Fantasy Ultra: Champion Edition version 1.1... released!

User Info: madspunky

madspunky
4 months ago#1
Final Fantasy Ultra is the FF hack that's bigger, better, faster, more!
Final Fantasy Ultra: Champion Edition was biggerer, betterer, fasterer, and morer!

This latest release, version 1.1, is just a fix of a bunch of mistakes I've made, and some slight balancing. Still very good!

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3067/

Will I ever make Turbo Final Fantasy Ultra: Champion Edition Hyper Fighting? The game already is sped up, should I cut away even more frames of animation? Can somebody help me get rid of that Lute/Rod bug? Can somebody tell me how to (safely) delete those annoying animations when you pause or enter a town?
Final Fantasy Ultra Champion Edition, my ultra hack of the original Final Fantasy:

User Info: Zzonkmiles

Zzonkmiles
4 months ago#2
madspunky posted...
Can somebody help me get rid of that Lute/Rod bug?

What is this bug? I've never heard of that before.
PSN/YT: Zzonkmiles (Don't listen to Ondore's lies!)
Download Final Fantasy Zz Hard-Type at http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1278/

madspunky
4 months ago#3
Just mine. The game is still totally playable, but it's easier to get into the bonus areas.
Final Fantasy Ultra Champion Edition, my ultra hack of the original Final Fantasy:

User Info: Shadow_FF6

Shadow_FF6
4 months ago#4
I'm guessing those are the ones I ran into in my playthrough?

Anyway, I don't have the time to start up a new game right now, but I heartily endorse this hack to people looking for something very new. This is something of a total conversion mod, changing almost everything, in ways big and small. It's not unrecognizable as FF1, of course. You still fight the four fiends in the same places, and you go through the world is generally the same way, but extra dungeons, both optional and mandatory have been added. There's no class change, but 11 meaningfully distinct classes (and also The Fool) can be selected to build your party.

If absolutely nothing else, it's definitely worth a shot just for the novelty of it all. If you want some more details (and incredibly long-winded) opinions on it, here's a link to my original thread commenting on it as I played through it.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/522595-final-fantasy/75807314
`/\ |\ | | \ `-|- `|_| |-_|) |-_`|` `|` |)
/--\ | \| | / ` | `|` | |_ |\ |_` |__| ` |\

User Info: AstralEsper

AstralEsper
4 months ago#5
What exactly is the nature of the Lute/Rod bug? I may be able to help if you can explain it - particularly if it's what I think it is. (Are you trying to use the squares that are designated to allow the Lute/Rod to function for multiple items, or using the Lute/Rod in multiple locations? If so, there's a way to make it so each item has the intended effect only in the locale you want).

madspunky
4 months ago#6
AstralEsper posted...
What exactly is the nature of the Lute/Rod bug? I may be able to help if you can explain it - particularly if it's what I think it is. (Are you trying to use the squares that are designated to allow the Lute/Rod to function for multiple items, or using the Lute/Rod in multiple locations? If so, there's a way to make it so each item has the intended effect only in the locale you want).

Thanks for your interest, AstralEsper!
Alas, I'm only using the specific items for the specific tiles.
It's really wonky:
When using the Rod, you get the text, but the tile continues to stay on the map.
When using the Lute, you get the text, and sometimes the tile disappears, and sometimes it doesn't, weird!

Currently, in the game, you can walk a bit further and still get into the 'bonus towns' in the Temple of Fiends, so it's not really a big deal.

User Info: AstralEsper

AstralEsper
4 months ago#7
Hmm.

I've been trying to think of what's going on here. How heavily did you edit the dialogue routines? Or did you move things around without directly editing the routines in bank 14? My best guess based on what you're describing is that the sprite the Rod is supposed to vanish is in the incorrect sprite slot, or is the incorrect sprite index. I'm not quite sure what would make the Lute sometimes work, and sometimes not, though.

User Info: xenu

xenu
4 months ago#8
Is the heal staff supposed to give your level 31 Fool 212 Attack power and 200% Accuracy? Because that's what just happened when I equipped it.

User Info: xenu

xenu
4 months ago#9
I just tried equipping/unequipping, saving/restoring etc. The heal staff is giving 200 damage and 200 accuracy whenever it's equipped. Don't have anyone in my party who can use staves besides the fool, so nobody else to test it out on. Seems kind of odd that my fool is now out-damaging my paladin and two monks combined!

User Info: StyrixA

StyrixA
4 months ago#10
So I've made three parties and played through the first half 3 times now. It's a fun hack. The classes are all interesting, but I would change them significantly. But the changes I'd make most are to items. The items in this game are boring, and this really makes the treasure chests boring. When I open one, I'm not excited about what I might get. I know I'm just going to get gold, or a gold equivalent. Thea magic rings are kind of nice, but too little too late. They don't serve a purpose to play, because by the time you get them, you probably have enough low-level magic to make them not worth much.

I miss the fire shields, gauntlets, switching items between party members, etc. Finding cool stuff and figuring out the best way to use them is part of why many of us play RPGs. Magic items are a large reason why fantasy games are so fun. But, knowing that the big prize in a dungeon is just the next tier of purchasable, non-elemental, no special effect junk is boring. Yeah, you save gold, but whatever.

I make this critique because this IS such a good hack but has this critical flaw. From reading lswhere, I know this boring-item thing was a design choice, which is why I'm addressing it so strongly. I don't think that having elemental items would ruin the magic-resistance of classes much, as being fire resistant or whatever wouldn't make you more resistant to everything. I would instead add MORE effects to more items.

Make the player choose between worse defense that resists a specific status like stun and sleep, and an item that has more defense but only helps resist again poison and dark, for example.

An even simpler improvement would be to have the kinds of items teired, so that if you can use the better kind of stuff, you also can use the lesser stuff. This would make using what you find in chests much more fun. For example, the Paladin should be able to use staves and scale mail and cloth. The Viking should be able to use hammers, etc.

I like that there are fewer armor slots (armor and shields) so you can carry more armor. That's great. But have more characters be able to wear shields, and adding effects to shields would improve the item play.

Maybe I'm tilting at windmills, because hey, this isn't my hack, and I should just be grateful. But that's the thing. This IS a great hack, if only the items were fun. And I've played it a bunch, and so now I feel invested in seeing it be what it could be. So much potential.

Last thought. I would ditch having 11 boring ultimate weapons, one for each class. Instead have cooler items along the way, let classes share item usage more (see above) and then stick to maybe 4 ultimate weapons (axe, sword, hammer, staff).

Enough griping. Thanks again. This is a great hack, really. I recommend it to friends (with the item caveat). And I can only imagine how much love and work went into it. Thanks again.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. Final Fantasy Ultra: Champion Edition version 1.1... released!