You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. Recommend me a hack for this game.

User Info: MysticGreever

MysticGreever
6 months ago#1
Friends...

Been a seriously long time since I've been here. If you're reading this and it's been weeks/months since I started this then please feel free to add to it.

FF1 is one of my all time favorite games. I've played the NES version and the PS1 version and love 'em both. I have only tried a couple challenges like using only beginner armor and weapons (no black belt) and beating the game in one sitting (about 16 hours) as well as doing 1 solo fighter run.

Now the reason I'm posting this. I have only dabbled in very few "hacks" for any NES or SNES game. I want a really good hack to play. I know "good" is a relative term but I'd like to hear some of YOUR favorites and what they have to offer. I remember years ago playing a Dragon Warrior hack called Dragoon Omega X by Silver X and he/they made a part 2 for Final Fantasy. I never completed them, sadly.

I've heard of Gronds, The Collector, Astral Esper and Zzonkmiles but never really read up on them too much. I know Zzonk had many topics throughout the years here about his and I vowed one day to play it. Well hopefully this year will be the year I go through two or three hacks since I'm going through my retro backlog.

Sorry long winded, I know message boards are outdated but I still love this site. Can't promise I'll be back here every day but I'll try to log my experience here once I start playing again. Thanks.
PSN: MystykkGreever / Currently Playing: My NES and SNES backlog. FF3 then DW2.

User Info: beege_man

beege_man
6 months ago#2
I highly recommend Zzonk's hack. I can't recommend it enough. It's great. It's difficult. Very difficult. But it's great and very well balanced.
L37 409/409 9/8/8/8/7/7/6/6 HP8 Pa3 Int/MDef: 51/92
HDCEA: 102-97-92/48-50-43/3-4-6.5/81/43(34) Resist: (Fire)/(Lit)/Death AtkElem: Ice-Fire-Coral

User Info: ELQUEMANDA4

ELQUEMANDA4
6 months ago#3
Definitively Zzonk's, it's a very solid hack that manages to improve not just the difficulty of the original game, but also its strategic depth, while still keeping everything else that makes FF1 itself.
Astos, on the other hand...[...]. You're an amusement to him. You're the god damned blue haired jester, and he's gonna make you dance to his tune.

User Info: flamefox777

flamefox777
6 months ago#4
Is there a guide for Zzonk's hack?

Oops! Found one: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/522595-final-fantasy/74794569
(edited 6 months ago)

User Info: Anonymus96

Anonymus96
6 months ago#5
Have you heard of Final Fantasy Negative One? That's my favorite.

User Info: SchlossRitter

SchlossRitter
6 months ago#6
Final Fantasy (minus)2K...once I ever get around to working on it again lol. I put a video demo of alpha out long ago, redesigning the first floor of the Temple of Chaos (past) as a first "dungeon" with a strangely familiar boss fight. Also did a bit of work on the overworld layout between proto-Cornelia ("Slave Camp") and the Temple. Sadly, the video annotations are gone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP1FG5PLCMI

No real coding done since though I did go through and write up a design outline for almost the whole game over a year ago, heh
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-PdXa2Sqq66fI4H6Udy5NAVSqXOcEAhm8aJ1oHZxH4o/edit?usp=sharing
`
Nothing to see here. Move along.
(edited 6 months ago)

MysticGreever
6 months ago#7
Thanks for the input, looks like Zzonks will be up first.

Anon, I think I saw it in the list on romhacking site but didn't read it. If it's good and complete then I might give it a try.

Schloss, interesting concept, the light warriors are slaves! Made me chuckle... but how do slaves get weapons?

User Info: SchlossRitter

SchlossRitter
6 months ago#8
I was thinking the old trope of hidden rebellion with secret shops at the Slave Camp.
`
Nothing to see here. Move along.

User Info: flamefox777

flamefox777
6 months ago#9
Replying here so you don't risk spoilers in my thread:

MysticGreever posted...
Its really great to hear positive feedback for this hack, I'll be starting mine probably next weekend.

As much as I'd like to follow along in this thread, I can't. I want to experience Zzonks hack firsthand and recapture that new game feel.

Enjoy Flamefox! Godspeed!

Hey, good luck to you too! It was your thread that reminded me of this project. I remembered it from back in the day but I didn't really want to play "faux FF" when I could play the real thing. Plus, I didn't trust that some rando on the Internet could or would really make a good "remix." Sorry, Zzonk!

Totally understand about not following this thread! I don't want spoilers either!

Part of the fun in this is not having a guide. I actually have to explore the dungeons! But, they're still very familiar—so far, at least. Best of both worlds. Almost the same, but not quite. It makes me want to open every door and every chest and take every passage.

It's like I'm playing Final Fantasy for the first time. It's not a formula or just a trip down Nostalgia Lane. It's a game again!

Even if I never play this again—my favorite part of the game having been completed—this has been a worthwhile download and play. I'd highly recommend this hack to Final Fantasy veterans.

Again, thanks a lot, Zzonk!

MysticGreever
6 months ago#10
@flamefox777

Good to know, thanks for the reply here!
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. Recommend me a hack for this game.