• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. Final Fantasy Ultra official release

User Info: madspunky

madspunky
3 years ago#11
That's some interesting stuff, thanks for digging it up. I wasn't aware of the bug, and it turns out that in my hack, undead are weak to stun. On the other hand, armor doesn't give any resistances, so the effect should be nil.

I'll be keeping the chances of getting stunned in check. If I find it too much, I'll reduce hits to 2, or maybe have them inflict sleep. Thanks for letting me know all about this!

User Info: beege_man

beege_man
3 years ago#12
Fixing the chance to inflict bug if you haven't would be a good idea. Essentially it's bugged such that all misses after the first hit still get a chance to inflict. And really misses should not have a chance to inflict a status.
L29 313/313 9/8/7/7/6/5/5/3 HP7 Pu1 Pa3 E1 Int/MDef: 33/76
HDCEA: 81-76/48-39/4-3/78/24 Resist: Fire/Lit/Death AtkElem: Fire-Lit

madspunky
3 years ago#13
The Attack Status effect bug was already fixed a long time ago, I see. I looked into the code just to be sure.

I've just repeatedly tested the undead in the Northwest/Astos Castle, using level 32 characters (no save states on hand for more appropriate levels), and about a tenth of the attacks led to stuns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcHbbL5BwNo
Shows me fighting them four times and getting stunned four times, although three times I was able to run away (and in the first round).

I'll keep this complaint in check, but so far it doesn't seem like a major concern.

madspunky
3 years ago#14
Ironically, because folks are talking about my game, I've been tweaking things again, hah. So one day there might be a version 1.1.

I'm now testing the game with Ghouls (the second type of zombie) hitting twice instead of three times.
I'm working on making the Library more attractive (i.e. less square and more classical)
I should maybe make running away a bit harder (again), since my party of four clerics is having little trouble escaping from fights.

User Info: beege_man

beege_man
3 years ago#15
I'm not sure if or how much you tweaked MDef growths, but level 32 characters are getting close to the point where you almost never get stunned anymore (100 MDef makes it a 1/201 chance). Assuming normal MDef growth, Level 12 characters would have a 20% greater chance to get stunned on every attack, they'd get stunned an extra time on every 5th attack. I'm not sure how many attacks you were attacked with, but 20% more stuns could be quite a bit.
L29 313/313 9/8/7/7/6/5/5/3 HP7 Pu1 Pa3 E1 Int/MDef: 33/76
HDCEA: 81-76/48-39/4-3/78/24 Resist: Fire/Lit/Death AtkElem: Fire-Lit
(message deleted)

madspunky
3 years ago#17
I've changed the Magic Defense numbers to something like this: characters start with 5 to 15 MDef (except the Thief, who starts with 25) and get 1 to 3 points every level (except the Thief, who gets 5).

Level 8 is the normal level for attempting Astos, so the average character will have about 26 Magic Defense (13 minimum, 65 maximum). I'm not sure what the chance of getting stunned is. But I'll be testing this area soon.

Edit: after intensive testing, I've concluded I'm happy with how often the undead around level 8 stun your party. Sometimes I got unlucky, but only very rarely was my team totally stun-locked. There were usually one or two members getting stunned a fight, which I like.

User Info: MasterKnight75

MasterKnight75
3 years ago#18
Ah, so you indeed don't have Magic DEF cut magic damage instead of magic accuracy.

Of course, given the way Magic DEF works out in FF1, I ought to point out an issue with the c(4+L) formula being used for it: it ends up making Thieves inevitably dodge most spells. I can tell you a similar story with DEF COs in Advance Wars 2 and Dual Strike: the damage formula involved DEF by having damage before defenses multiplied by (200 - D) / 100. A CO named Kanbei was particularly infamous in AW2 where, among other things, by activating Samurai Spirit he could manage D = 160 on Roads, and by extension, D = 200 on an HQ or Mountains, for flat invincibility other than things like damage CO Powers. Granted, HQ/Mountains would rarely be relevant defense terrain other than as specific equalizers, but the point is, law of diminishing was the friend of DEF COs to the point where Days of Ruin changed the way DEF worked, frankly in a way I dislike by mitigating terrain defense against lower key attacks so badly, to the point where the Forest's 1 Star increase did decrease damage taken, but by maybe 3%, before even considering ALL the grievances I have with the CO Zone system's handling. (Thanks for reminding me, actually, and I'm not being sarcastic, because I've recently been realizing that Days of Ruin doesn't have Affinity Play going on either.)

I digress, though. What I'm talking about is that each point of increase at a higher Magic DEF value is going to be more significant than at a lower one, because the result number will have a smaller percent. I can tell you that 100 - 90 = 10 -> 100 - 92 = 8 is more of a significant change than 100 - 80 = 20 -> 100 - 82 = 18. So yeah, c(4+L) is rather OCD. I know you use a similar formula with Hit, but it definitely works there. With Magic DEF, honestly, a Thief at L31 being virtually immune to standard accuracy spells where other classes won't be doesn't sit well with me, simply for aesthetic reason. I certainly think it'd be rather silly that a L31 Thief would reduce the enemy's magic accuracy by 35% more than the next highest Magic DEF class at the same level. In fact, I don't think the Thief class having higher Magic DEF than classes like the Cleric or Paladin fits Role Playing either--only the evasion factor would.

Like I recommend, base Magic DEF at multiples of 10 up to 50 instead of multiples of 5 and Magic DEF growth of only +1 other than in absolutely special cases, probably just Cleric, getting +2 would be cleaner. Also, unless I'm missing something, Thief would suffice with having 30/+1 so that they'd still have evasion factor but would no longer be the highest Magic DEF class.
Master Knight DH at your service.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MasterKnightDH

madspunky
3 years ago#19
Thanks for the thorough explanation: I wasn't aware of this case in Advance Wars. I'm a big fan of the series and am currently looking into hacking Days of Ruin.

As for the Thief/Rogue: I wanted him to be the most resilient to spells for these two reasons:
1: Since his other talents are running away and getting more surprise attacks, which seem rather minor, I wanted him to have another special trait.
2: As for role playing: his high dexterity helps him avoid spells (like in D&D), as does his lucky nature. The characters (mostly slow casters) with above average spell resistance comes from their imaginary 'wisdom/will' checks.

You're right about each point of resistance gets better than the former (a lot of rpgs don't get this right), but I'm happy with the results I have in the game at the moment. The effects in practice are:
- Lower level spells/skills which you've seen often happen to you much less. It feels good to notice they're not a problem anymore
- Hex is a problematic spell to balance, because (I believe) it makes multiple checks to connect; i.e., if one effect connects, they all do. This also counts for GLXY and STUN. It would take a lot of rebalancing if I were to change the formulas, and I doubt it would be worth it.
- One thing I especially like about my hack is that levels make a difference. I want the characters to feel much stronger than they did three levels ago. The significant increases in Magic Resistance are a part of this.

I love hearing what you have to say on the topic, though, and it's all worth reading! I hope you're enjoying the game, too!

madspunky
3 years ago#20
Protip, the Rogue can access his Class-weapon way earlier than other classes if you're good at sneaking around.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. Final Fantasy Ultra official release
  • Topic Archived