• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Mario World
  3. How much does this game use Mode 7 effects?

User Info: Peter_19

Peter_19
6 months ago#1
"Super Mario World" was one of the worldwide launch titles along with "F-Zero", and since Mode 7 was one of the selling points for the SNES it would be expected that SMW used quite a bit of it, since launch titles tend to wanna impress the players as much as possible.
"F-Zero" is obviously completely centered around Mode 7 effects, and so are several later launch titles outside of Japan such as "PilotWings" and "Super Tennis", but how much Mode 7 stuff have you noticed in SMW?

The best examples that I can think of at the moment are relatively simple things such as the death animations of some of the bosses when they spin around and move away from the screen, and Bowser also seems to do some of that when he randomly flies towards the screen and away from it (which I have to admit looked quite impressive in the early 90s).
I have also heard that the battle against Reznor apparently uses these effects...?
I changed the signature again, trollolol.
(edited 6 months ago)

User Info: Simon33333

Simon33333
6 months ago#2
Yeah reznor looks mode 7 to me. The spinning wood thing in the background.
I can't think of a signature!

Peter_19
6 months ago#3
Is Mode 7 normally necessary for a background animation like that?
My experience of Mode 7 is that it is typically used to replace height with depth.

I guess maybe Mode 7 makes it easier to animate a rotating background because this allows it to more easily spin around the z-axis?
I changed the signature again, trollolol.
(edited 6 months ago)

User Info: MorbidEngel

MorbidEngel
6 months ago#4
I'd figure, besides boss defeats and Reznor, Bowser's zoom and departure, ball and chains, and rotating platforms (Donut Plains 3, Yoshi's Island 3...) were mode 7 as well.
I am a super sandwich!
http://www.last.fm/user/ToxicOrochi

User Info: Gamecube_Gamer

Gamecube_Gamer
5 months ago#5
A bootleg SMW for the NES was able to do Renzor. In fact, Renzor was pretty much the go-to boss in most of the castles.
It's what's called "cake". It's what's called delicious.

Peter_19
2 months ago#6
What's the point of those parts when Bowser flies close to the screen during the final battle, though?
I have always assumed that it was just there to demonstrate the Mode 7 effects, lol - kind of like "look everyone, we can do this stuff on this console!".
Hello.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Mario World
  3. How much does this game use Mode 7 effects?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A