• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Animal Crossing
  3. So sad this title is underappreciated. Was the best AC game.

User Info: MawiocUdwoc

MawiocUdwoc
10 months ago#11
I agree that the ambience of this one is the best, but I also agree that New Leaf has added a lot of new features.

At first I liked the acre system of this one better, but then I grew fond of the other 3 games' system because it's much easier to find villagers when I need them. The one thing that annoys me about this game is that sometimes they seem to disappear, I suspect they get in buildings or they actually take the train since I can swear sometimes they "materialize" in front of the entrances, like they do at the border of the acres when they walk.

User Info: BowsersEnemyX

BowsersEnemyX
10 months ago#12
MawiocUdwoc posted...
I agree that the ambience of this one is the best, but I also agree that New Leaf has added a lot of new features.

At first I liked the acre system of this one better, but then I grew fond of the other 3 games' system because it's much easier to find villagers when I need them. The one thing that annoys me about this game is that sometimes they seem to disappear, I suspect they get in buildings or they actually take the train since I can swear sometimes they "materialize" in front of the entrances, like they do at the border of the acres when they walk.

They do telleport. I can say that with confidence. No other way to explain how some of them end up on the train tracks.

I also agree that the ambience of this one is the best. I also prefer how talking to villagers is done in this game as you don't feel bad telling them you won't get them fruit for the 5th time in a week.I like the added communication features from the other games though.

problem with the newer games is that with everything they've added, somehow, they removed AC's charm. I have no idea how they did it, but they did. Or at least toned it down. It's still fun to play, but it's like for every two steps forward, there's two steps back.
Nintendo makes cardboard peripherals, and the fans are happy.
It's official. Neither Nintendo nor its fans need to be taken seriously.

User Info: _Five_

_Five_
10 months ago#13
I still play this Animal Crossing a few times a month.

User Info: satoka-eldon

satoka-eldon
10 months ago#14
BowsersEnemyX posted...
MawiocUdwoc posted...

They do telleport. I can say that with confidence. No other way to explain how some of them end up on the train tracks.

I also agree that the ambience of this one is the best. I also prefer how talking to villagers is done in this game as you don't feel bad telling them you won't get them fruit for the 5th time in a week.I like the added communication features from the other games though.

problem with the newer games is that with everything they've added, somehow, they removed AC's charm. I have no idea how they did it, but they did. Or at least toned it down. It's still fun to play, but it's like for every two steps forward, there's two steps back.

I didn't like the thieves though. Burnt me for X0,000 bells a few times.
My Pokemon / Golden Sun covers:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVwSht-blOhA2JE_re_qegg

MawiocUdwoc
10 months ago#15
If by thieves you mean villagers that force you to sell or trade, then I'm glad that's gone too. On my first years playing I really didn't like when I was forced to trade a fossil or a gyroid by either a wallpaper or a carpet, I just stopped selecting the "care to chat" option altogether unless my pockets were empty.

I'm also glad they stopped trying to sell me something for half or all my money (no, I'm not paying 40k bells for a wallpaper/carpet), but as a tradeoff now in future games they always sell me something for higher the price and offer me less than Nook, while on the GCN game they would offer more occasionally.

satoka-eldon
10 months ago#16
MawiocUdwoc posted...
If by thieves you mean villagers that force you to sell or trade, then I'm glad that's gone too. On my first years playing I really didn't like when I was forced to trade a fossil or a gyroid by either a wallpaper or a carpet, I just stopped selecting the "care to chat" option altogether unless my pockets were empty.

I'm also glad they stopped trying to sell me something for half or all my money (no, I'm not paying 40k bells for a wallpaper/carpet), but as a tradeoff now in future games they always sell me something for higher the price and offer me less than Nook, while on the GCN game they would offer more occasionally.

Right, that's exactly what I was talking about. Also, it it just me or were there more dialogue options for villager in AC:PG than later installments? The DS version in particular always felt a bit repetitive.
My Golden Sun / Pokemon / Tales Of / Zelda covers:
https://soundcloud.com/eldonreeves/tracks

User Info: _Keeby

_Keeby
9 months ago#17
Being someone who has played all 4 games, I personally thought Wild World had the best villager dialogue. The Gamecube version was just a bit too mean-spirited for my liking, but the DS version toned it down just the right amount so it still had some charm. Lots of humorous lines, too.

City Folk kind of flanderized the characters, but that was more due to a lack of many conversations than anything else. I could still get a chuckle out of some of the things they had to say.

I feel like New Leaf threw what little was left of the charm out the window. The villagers seem too cheery, too forced... plus that artstyle is way too bright.

I just can't find much "charm" in New Leaf compared to previous games.

On a side note, does anyone else feel like the Gamecube version had a hidden dark/creepy/depressing vibe to it? The dialogue, the music, and especially those suspicious posters at the police station. Wild World(, and maybe even City Folk?) has a bit of this too, but it's barely noticeable. Perhaps this is the "charm" we've been talking about.

I don't play the Gamecube version anymore due to a lack of motivation, but I do occasionally play City Folk.

MawiocUdwoc
9 months ago#18
Maybe it's just me but I agree with everything you said except New Leaf, they still feel good to me. That said, I do feel like now there's little to no consequence in NL if you don't do any requests you promised or if you refuse to do them, it's like the GCN game was one extreme (they got mad quick and they were plain rude, especially cranky and snooty villagers) and New Leaf is the other.

City Folk feels for me the least developed dialogue-wise, but maybe it's because I haven't had any visitors in years and that's required for them to say different stuff; on Wild World they're a bit repetitive too but I feel they do develop their conversations as I befriend them: for example, the jock guys tell me something about breaking off their training regime and no matter what answer I give they get either mad or sad, which stops coming up after they've given me their portrait. The one thing that sometimes annoyed me about Wild World is how often villagers talked to me, and those bits of dialogue are the ones that feel the most repetitive (showing me letters, asking for new greetings/catchphrases and selling me overpriced stuff).

User Info: _Keeby

_Keeby
9 months ago#19
Yeah, that's the thing. In Wild World and City Folk the villagers would "ping" you a bit too much, but in New Leaf they almost never do it.

I always saw the whole Mayor thing in NL to be an overhyped gimmick. One half of it is paying 20,000 bells once and forgetting about it forever due to a limited amount of choices(ordinances), and the other half is having to unlock things through lots of luck for you to get what you want(PWPs). It felt more like Isabelle(who I don't like and think is annoying) was the mayor rather than you. I hope the next game has you be an ordinary resident again. The "mayor" feature was a big mess.

I think Wild World also had the best friendship system. It felt balanced, and you would know you were best friends with the villager when they gave you their picture. The aforementioned dialogue certainly helped. City Folk doesn't have villager pictures, unfortunately. New Leaf brought them back, but you can just repeat the April Fools event over and over to get them.

satoka-eldon
9 months ago#20
_Keeby posted...
I always saw the whole Mayor thing in NL to be an overhyped gimmick. One half of it is paying 20,000 bells once and forgetting about it forever due to a limited amount of choices(ordinances), and the other half is having to unlock things through lots of luck for you to get what you want(PWPs). It felt more like Isabelle(who I don't like and think is annoying) was the mayor rather than you. I hope the next game has you be an ordinary resident again. The "mayor" feature was a big mess.

I don't get the whole fetishisation of Isabelle either.

Being the 'mayor' as a gateway to customising town more is a good thing, but I agree about the lack of ordinances and stupid RNG needed for the PWPs. I never got even one of the Japan-themed ones over a year of playing.
My Golden Sun / Pokemon / Tales Of / Zelda covers:
https://soundcloud.com/eldonreeves/tracks
  1. Boards
  2. Animal Crossing
  3. So sad this title is underappreciated. Was the best AC game.
  • Topic Archived