• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: imdakine1

imdakine1
8 years ago#1
I'm loving Mass Effect 2 on PS3 and am looking for the next game I want in about 3-6 months... Deus Ex for the PS3 looks great and so I'm thinking of picking this up. I'm guessing the graphics will disappoint since this is from 2002 but I heard it's fun??? Will I just hate this since I have played other amazing games on PS3 or is it worth playing? I love conspiracy theory stuff...
Currently playing: PES 2011, Red Dead Redemption, Fallout New Vegas, and Mass Effect 2

User Info: KrossRoads

KrossRoads
8 years ago#2
Deus Ex is a combination FPS and RPG like Mass Effect, so if you liked the gameplay aspect of ME you'll probably enjoy DE as well. The graphics were pretty mediocre even back when it debuted, but you're not one of those brainless gamers who just like the looks of things instead of real depth, are you? Of course not! You're smarter than that, I can tell.

If you like conspiracy, you can't really ask for more than the plot of this game. I won't spoil it for you, but I can safely say that the X-files WISHED they came up with a story like this one. And it's got multiple endings, so you have a choice to decide your fate, and maybe even the fate of humanity as we know it. Along the way, you make small decisions that have a surprising impact on your game. Like letting a certain person live might open up dialog you wouldn't have seen otherwise, solving this side-quest changes that event, and so on. It's surprisingly immerse for a PS2 game.

Gameplay is often praised for it's many different solutions to a single problem. You can go in guns blazing, pick a lock and sneak in the back, stack up crates and enter from the roof, or bypass the building entirely in some cases. You're told what to do, but how you go about doing it is in your hands, and in some cases may influence the story itself based on your actions. Your character also gains XP based on completing tasks, and can improve skills with that XP. What skills you choose to improve will no doubt be based on just how you like to play the game. Sneaking around will warrant lockpicks and silenced weapons, kicking down the front door requires heavy weapons skill and explosives. Explorers will need swimming. Hackers want computer skills. Crowbar and sword fanatics would need melee weapon skills, and so on.

In fact, the biggest question you should have by now is not "Should I get it?" but instead "Which version should I get?". Deus Ex on the PC and PS2 are the same game with minor differences between them. Look on some of the other topics around here or wikipedia for the differences and pick the version you'll like the best.

Other than that, you play as a trenchcoat-wearing, gun-toting, sunglasses all the time, bio-augmented, secret agent. Yes, it's as cool as it sounds.
"Why, I never!" "You should, it's fun"

User Info: imdakine1

imdakine1
8 years ago#3
@Krossroads... Thanks for the extensive reply. I am definitely looking forward to picking this up. The game concept and style of play sounds amazing and definitely similar to Mass Effect 2. I'm an old school gamer and don't have a huge amount of time to play games any more, but will be getting the PS2 version. I don't really play PC games... I'm hoping to next version coming out sometime this year will be as good as the game you described. Good graphics can help make a game, but the ability to truly impact what happens in a game is intriguing to me. Thanks again for providing your thoughts!
Currently playing: PES 2011, Red Dead Redemption, Fallout New Vegas, and Mass Effect 2

User Info: KrossRoads

KrossRoads
8 years ago#4
No problem, glad to recruit more people into the cult classic experience! Since you'll be getting the PS2 version, feel free to stop by and ask questions in case you get stuck or confused. I'm about the only regular around, but I check this forum out once a day.

There's also two other games out, not counting the third one that's been pushed back again for the PS3. There's Deus Ex 2 for the Xbox 360/PS3 (I can't remember which, I don't have either one), and there's a game called Project: Snowblind that was going to be Deus Ex 2 until Deus Ex sold less than greatly. Number 2 wasn't a bad game at all, it just wasn't as good as the first, and Snowblind is more like Mass Effect with Deus Ex elements thrown in. You might like that one as well, and you can probably get it cheap.
"Why, I never!" "You should, it's fun"
  • Topic Archived