• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Deus Ex: The Conspiracy
  3. I heard this game is similar to Fallout 3, or perhaps the other way around.

User Info: Mooglenator

Mooglenator
9 years ago#1
Without spoiling anything, can someone tell me what are the strengths and weaknesses of this game, and a bit of the plot and setting please?
What's Dialga? Sounds like a level3 spell from the FF series...a telephone call level3 spell.
-wababuhloowap

User Info: Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon
9 years ago#2
OK, without spoilers, you play a government agent (your codename is "J. C. Denton") and for your first assignment you have to deal with some terrorists who have taken over the Statue of Liberty so that they can steal some Ambrosia (Ambrosia being the nickname to the rare and therefore very valuable drug that cures the worldwide plague that holds most of the world (in the game) in terror).

You are an "augmented" human being, which means that you have the ability to use different special powers, although you first have to find and add the powers (via augmentation canisters) to your body to use them, and you cannot use all powers, as your body only supports a limite dnumber, and some are mutually exclusive. These powers include regeneratin health, super strength, super speed, run silently (the enemies in this game respond to sound at different distances depending on the volume of the sound), become invisible to organic life, become invisible to electronic eyes (robots, cameras, gun turrets etc), see through walls, etc. The powers you choose to install dictate how you can best play the game, and you have limited power to run the abilities, so you can't use them constantly.

Also, you get awarded skill points for doing various things, such as carrying out objectives or exploring areas, and you have total freedom of choice as to what skills to upgrade with your points. You have various skills such as melee weapons, pistol weapons, sniper, hacking, lock picking, health recovery, swimming, equipment usage, etc, and you start out untrained in each area, and if you have sufficient points you can go to Trained, to Expert, then finally to Master in any catagories. And the catagories make a real difference, for example, in a weapon catagory untrained means that you are a bad shot (unlike in almost every other first person shooter, in Deus Ex you shot doesn't always hit the crosshairs, it depends on your skill rating), slow to fire and slow to reload - each skill upgrade in that catagory adds speed and accuracy, and if you take it to the Expert level then the bullet always hits the crosshair and you can load and fire very fast.

The game is set in more or less present day (around 2030ish, but little has changed from now to then), and you get to travel to several places around the world. You meet rich and poor people, friends, enemies and mostly neutral people. There is lots to explore, the game is long, and has more replay value than almost any other first person shooter ever (though to be fair, it's not a FPS, it's an RPG/FPS game). It has a great story, and is my favourite ever PS2 game even after all of this time. It looks pretty bad nowadays, but this is a game for people who like first class gameplay, with some intelligent thought, not for people who want impressive graphics. You really can choose your playing style for most of the game, be it stealthy, smart (work out how to bypass enemies or distract them) or just like a standard first person shooter with lots of heavy weapons, it's your choice. And the replay value is through the roof. It's not perfect - the game lacks some things that you'd want, such as the option to intimidate people, and more randomization of item placing would make the game more replayable, but it's still a first class game and still the best FPS/RPG I've ever played. Without meaning to sound pretentious, I'd honestly say that the worst thing about Deus Ex is that it promises us so much that other games have yet to deliver. After DE we were expecting more games like it, and for some of them to eventually better it. But instead games just keep on getting dumbed down.

Pick up this game, mate. You should be able to get it really cheap, as it's so old and under-rated. And please post your opinion when you've played it.

When you've finished here, don't forget to visit:
http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/

User Info: Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon
9 years ago#3
Also, you might want to get the PC version, as that is mouse controlled (personally I prefer joypad, so I play the PS2 version, but lots of people love keyboard and mouse control) and supports user made mod such as different levels and better graphics.

I list the differences (that I'm aware of - I have both versions, but the games are so complex and the worlds do detailed that it's impossible to remember everything) between the PC and PS2 versions in:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=516499&topic=53870831

and also mention the game's sequel too.

When you've finished here, don't forget to visit:
http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/
  1. Boards
  2. Deus Ex: The Conspiracy
  3. I heard this game is similar to Fallout 3, or perhaps the other way around.
  • Topic Archived