• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: kerpy

kerpy
9 years ago#1
Is it a port of the first? Is it different in some ways?
"I am the Alpha, and I am the Omega, the Beginning and the End, the Creator and the Destroyer, I am... Kerpy!!!!

User Info: Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon
9 years ago#2
It's exactly the same as the PC version, only:

* Different inventory system, there is no limit by size of objects any more, instead you can carry anything you like, but no more than four weapons. I prefer this, as it gives you more freedom to carry what you like, but some people prefer the PC version's method.

* The health system is simplified; you only have one stat, instead of a different stat for each limb and body area, on the PC version.

* Although the gaming levels are the same in both versions, the PS2 has more loading points (places where the game stops to load the next area), to compensate for the PS2's smaller memory.

* At the beginning of the first level, as you leave the landing dock, there is a booth room, which is not on the PC version. This is the only difference in levels layouts that I know of in the two versions.

* You don't have to remember the numbers of passwords in the PS2 version - when you find (read) a password, J.C. "remembers" it, so when you click on the keypad or keyboard, if he knows the password then he enters it automatically.

* The graphics are slightly better on the PS2 version than on the PC version, although the PC version does have downloadable graphic packs to make it look much better. Plus the intro and outro videos are much better on the PS2.

* Finally, and this is one thing that I do regret about the PS2 version, you can't use the user made PC levels and mods for the PS2 version. Obviously, of course, as the PS2 version can't run user mods, but I do wish that it was technically possible.

Many people say that the PC version is better, but I don't see it myself. I've asked people why they prefer the PC version, but it's usually because they prefer the mouse and keyboard control method, which I personally don't.

When you've finished here, don't forget to visit:
http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/

Kerr Avon
9 years ago#3
Although Deus Ex - The Conspiracy (PS2) is just the original PC game (Deus Ex), there is a sequel available, called Deus Ex - Invisible War, which is PC and XBox only (XBox 1, not 360). Sadly, whilst it improves on the original in a few ways, it's mostly very inferior in all others.

For example, they took away the RPG elements (unless you count the nano-augs), they took away the body damage mapping for some strange reason (so that a shot to the head causes no more damage than a shot to the foot ), they took away the weapons' "reload" key, they took away the expansive environments of Deus Ex, and gave us confined claustrophobic levels instead, which removed a lot of the "real world" feeling (and they made it feel even more artificial and cyberpunkish too, which increased the feeling of detatchment, sadly). It genuinely feels like you're in a series of bio-domes on a planet that has no breathable atmosphere, instead of being set on Earth, which really harms the immersion of the game.

They took away a lot more, too. Such as the way each weapon used it's own ammunition. Instead we were given a "universal ammunition" system, whereby all weapons used the same ammunition, which makes the game easier, but removes the strategy of having to use only the weapons for which you can spare the ammuntion. This is supposed to be a strategy FPS game, so why weaken the strategy? And they removed the inventory system of DE, where each item took up a given size in your inventory, and gave us a "new" system, whereby each item takes up one slot, and a guided rocket launcher takes up the same space as a lock pick. This would be fine in a pure FPS, but not in a thinking man's FPS, like Deus Ex was.

The generally accepted reason for these changes is that the game was dumbed down for the console audience (it was released for the XBox as well as the PC), and that might well be true. But it was unnecessary, as despite industry opinion, console owners aren't inherently more stupid that PC owners. It's true that many console owners don't have the patience or will power to play "more intelligent" games, but the same is true of many PC owners. And whilst many console owners (yes, probably more than PC owners) were too impatient or too thick to appreciate Deus Ex's more complex features, there were many more console owners who would.

And the orginal Deus Ex ran on a PC that was far inferior to the XBox, so the XBox should have been able to handle a decent sequel to DE. But instead of Deus Ex Plus, we were given Deus Ex Lite. Very Lite.

On the plus side, we were given better graphics and rag doll physics. Woo-hoo Excuse me while I do the River Dance.

And these better graphics and rag doll physics helped push the PC versions required specs. through the roof. Still, at least the XBox version of Deus Ex: Invisible War ran smoothly, even with the rag doll physics and real-time lighting.

And the storyline of DE:IW wasn't as good (it was still far better than most, but not as good as DE's), the dialogue was sometimes far worse, and it just didn't have the same immersion.

The one real advance over it's prequel is that DE:IW has better nano-augs, which I really like. They are more powerful, occur earlier on in the game, and seem to be more fun. Although even here a DE fan could find cause for complaint, as they help to reduce the game still further from a stragegic FPS to an action FPS as it's all too easy to use the nano-augs to get through a situation that you'd otherwise have to think your way out of.

Kerr Avon
9 years ago#4
Sorry to go about this, but DE: IW was a major disappointment to me, considering how much I lvoed (and still do) DE.. It's not actually a bad game at all, it is good, maybe better than good. But the original game was far, far better than good, and DE:IW is a real step backwards from DE. It's still well worth playing, though, if you get the chance. Just don't choose it if you can play Deus Ex instead though. And I have to say that I'm glad I have DE: IW, and having played it through several times, I no doubt will again, but I just wish it was as good as it's prequel.

Basically, if you judge it on it's own, it's a good game, great in some respects. But if you judge it in comparison to Deus Ex, then it's a real let down.

There was a third game that was sort of in the Deus EX series, called Project Snowblind. It's not officially part of the Deus Ex series, which is why it doesn't have the words "Deus Ex" in the title, but it was unofficially said to have taken place in the same world, but earlier than the other two games. Whether or not you accept it as a Deus Ex game, and most of us DE fans don't (including me) it is still a good game. There are no RPG elements at all, no inventory, and the augs you get are given to you at set points throughout the game, and you can't choose which ones you get, though you do choose when and which to use. The game was dumbed down even from DE: IW, and is now simply an action based first person shooter, but it is very good at what it does. If you like linear FPS games with little depth but a decent amount of fun then you should like this one. It's on the PC, XBox and PS2, and the XBox version (only one I've played) is great, it's only flaw being that there's no skill level setting, so you only have one skill level to play the game on, which is a little to easy for people like me who've completed the game several times. I've heard that the PC version has some bugs that make the game troublesome to run, but I don't know about that, and I can confirm that the XBox version is fine.

A genuine Deus Ex sequel, for the moment known only as Deus Ex 3, is now in development for the PC, XBox 360 and PS3. I just hope it's closer to what made the original great than it is to DE: IW.

When you've finished here, don't forget to visit:
http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/

User Info: uafzal

uafzal
9 years ago#5
I liked the ps2 version more because I didn't like playing with a mouse and keyboard because im used to playing with the joypad. My advice is to play both.

User Info: kerpy

kerpy
9 years ago#6
Whoa! Lots of text...
Well I read it all, it was a good read and thanks for your time (It must have taken some!)
I played Project: Snowblind a long long time ago, don't rememeber the end...
I'll finish the first, then the 2nd, there are a few things I really want to try within the first (Such as, what happens if I kill the woman assasin before she kills that one guy in the plane, after I escape from the brother's apartment) but don't tell me what happens!
"I am the Alpha, and I am the Omega, the Beginning and the End, the Creator and the Destroyer, I am... Kerpy!!!!
  • Topic Archived