You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pikmin
  3. Want to know all of the differences between the GC and Wii versions? Click here!
Spike 2 years ago#1
So I've recently been looking into what exactly is different between the two versions, and I've found that there are actually a couple more differences then most people realize. Here I will list them all, starting with the most well known differences and ending with the lesser known ones.

1. The controls(extremely obvious). Also, the new Wii controls allow you to throw pikmin farther then you could in the GameCube version. This makes a certain advanced trick for getting a ship part earlier then you normally would much easier to perform.

2. Wii version has widescreen support(and I've read that this is true widescreen. Nice!)

3. Wii version gives you an option to redo a day if you screwed up. This is nice, but in the GameCube version, you can press "start" and choose the option to reload your last save, and this let's you do the exact same thing.

4. The GameCube version has a bug where if you throw a bomb carrying yellow pikmin and call it back with the whistle, it will drop it's bomb. Apparently this wasn't intended, and it's fixed in the Wii version.

5. In the Wii version, you can press the "B" trigger while holding a pikmin to sort and cycle through types. Not only colors, but bomb carrying, leaves, buds, and flowers too. You can't do this in the GameCube version, although you can do it in the GameCube version of Pikmin 2.

Finally, I've read a couple comments that claim the Wii version has slightly better graphics, but if that's true, it's a very slight difference indeed. I've watched videos of both versions on Youtube, and I haven't really noticed any difference.

It's possible there may be another very minor difference or two that I missed, but I haven't heard of any others, nor have I seen any myself. If you know of another, feel free to post it here. If the topic is locked by then, please make a new topic and point it out.

Oh, and before anyone brings it up, I know there are a couple of insignificant changes I didn't mention(tutorial text screens), but that's because nobody cares about that. Things like that aren't worth mentioning, so I left that stuff out.
"They look so *** damn like the same person. I say to them "you want ice cream cone?" Both of them say yes." - Mario Twins
Spike 2 years ago#2
I forgot one other difference. Oops.

6. In the Wii version, Pikmin will automatically pick up and carry pellets after knocking out the plants as they do in Pikmin 2.
"They look so *** damn like the same person. I say to them "you want ice cream cone?" Both of them say yes." - Mario Twins
Spike 2 years ago#3
I realized a couple more differences. These 2 are very minor, but still worth mentioning.

7. In the Wii version, Bulborbs(and possibly some other enemies) make a different noise when they die. Bulborbs make a mouse-like squeak sound in the Wii version. The Gamecube death sound is much better and more fitting in my opinion.

8. In the Wii version, you can skip the sunset cutscenes. This was apparently possible only in the European version of the GameCube game.
(message deleted)
j_coat 2 years ago#5
The Gamecube version unlocks a Smash Bros Melee trophy, which the Wii version probably doesn't do even with backwards compatibility.
Play my free full-length RPG game today!
https://jco.itch.io/universal-wars
Spike 2 years ago#6
j_coat posted...
The Gamecube version unlocks a Smash Bros Melee trophy, which the Wii version probably doesn't do even with backwards compatibility.

That's because Melee looks for Pikmin save data from a Gamecube memory card. The Wii version of Pikmin does not save to a Gamecube memory card, so there is no way for Melee to recognize it. Melee wasn't programed to look for saves on a Wii as it obviously didn't exist yet.
  1. Boards
  2. Pikmin
  3. Want to know all of the differences between the GC and Wii versions? Click here!

GameFAQs Q&A