• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: SSJxMURA

SSJxMURA
2 months ago#1
Mango warned us not to trust Nintendo, but the promise of a true successor to Melee was a temptation that was too great. On November 21st, 2031 we were greeted with an unannounced Nintendo Direct. A Gamecube fades into view, and the camera pans out show two people playing Melee. The audio fades in to the sound of controller clicks while the music of Dreamland 64 plays ambiently in the background. The camera zooms in slowly on the CRT, showing a classic spacie match. But as CRT envelops the entire screen, the screen turns black, and an ominous message appears on the screen. “The Game Disc could not be read. Read the NINTENDO GAMECUBE Instruction Booklet for more information.” This was the only warning they gave us.

What followed was something nobody could have ever predicted. Shuntaro Furukawa appears on the screen, and he begins a monologue about his immense appreciation for the loyalty that some of Nintendo’s games have sparked in players. “We could never have predicted that our game, Super Smash Bros Melee, would become the most enduring e-sport of all time. We owe all of this game’s success to its players, and it is time that we repaid their undying love for our creation in full. So we have been working on something for you all in secret. I hope you will enjoy the upcoming presentation.” The screen fades to black, and there is silence for a short time. The screen fades in to show a copy of Melee being held up to a bright light by a human hand. The hand lowers the copy of Melee into a Gamecube, closes the lid, and with the press of the power button we are greeted to a familiar sound. The opening music of Melee plays, and the classic intro video plays. But something was different. The model of the Mario statue was not the same. It was newer, more detailed, and we quickly realized that everything was. By this point, any Melee player already knows what’s going on. Melee HD, it was finally coming. No, it wasn’t just coming, it was already here.

The game was released that same day for the Switch Pro. It included two modes: a classic mode that had 1-to-1 identical Melee gameplay, and a “generations” mode that included all the other characters and stages from Ultimate with mechanics revamped to work in the Melee engine. The game also included amazing rollback netplay, as well as an option to see the strength of your connection to the opponent before accepting the match. It had a training mode that allowed players to lab out situations. It had a replay system that allowed players to export replays to an external website that allowed players to watch, record, and edit replays. It had a built-in tournament finder. It had everything that the Melee community had worked hard to create over decades. It was perfect, well almost perfect. There was one problem: the game could only be played while the console was online. It was part of a new class of Online-Only games, which Nintendo claimed were necessary for the “best online gameplay experience.” The game interface was downloaded from Nintendo’s servers and loaded into the system memory whenever it was started, and cleared whenever it was turned off. There was no physical copy, no digital download, no way to play this game without the console. And of course, many people questioned this decision by Nintendo, but most only in secret. Who were we to look a gift horse in the mouth?

Mango was the biggest voice in opposition to the game. “I don’t trust those f***ers,” he said. “What kind of f***ing sense does it make to make Melee HD an online only game? And where the f*** is Sakurai? He wasn’t in any of the presentations at all. And they’re STILL not sponsoring tournaments financially!” He was right. Sakurai was nowhere to be seen, even though he was still listed as the lead developer. But Melee HD was simply too good for these concerns to matter. The smash scene exploded in popularity for a few years, and players began to play OG Melee less and less. Fizzi reveals that he was offered a lucrative employment opportunity with Nintendo, in which he was allowed to develop the netcode for Melee HD, which he accepted. Development on Slippi stopped, and in just 4 years it faded into obscurity.

While this was happening, something even more sinister was afoot. Copies of Melee started appearing on Ebay and were selling for $25,000 USD in any condition. This caught the attention of Youtubers, causing the popularity of the trend to skyrocket. Who was buying these copies? We had no way of knowing, but what was sure was that they were certainly being bought. And as awareness of the worth of Melee copies grew, more and more copies were sold. Mango warned us, “Think about it guys, who has the money to buy all the Melee copies and would WANT to buy them? It’s gotta be Nintendo. They’re setting us up. I’m NEVER giving up my copy of Melee.” But we didn’t listen to Mango. His was just one voice in the community, and the community refused to believe that Nintendo would conspire to such a degree. Other players commented that Mango made enough money with his stream that the $25,000 wouldn’t matter as much to him as it would other players. They had a point, and Mango’s perspective lost out. Many players eventually sold their copies. And thus, physical copies of Melee became extremely rare. Gamecubes and Wiis began to give in to old age, with spare parts becoming increasingly difficult to find. ISOs of Melee were quietly removed from websites. In the year 2045, it was nearly impossible to play OG Melee with friends. In the year 2045, Nintendo announced its new console, the Nintendo Revolution, and with it they announced that they would be ending support for the online-only games for the Switch Pro.

The outrage that followed was predictable. Many begged Nintendo to bring Melee HD to the Nintendo Revolution, but this cry would fall on deaf ears. Players began to download Slippi again, but this too, was a trap. When Slippi Dolphin loaded, users were immediately prompted to update. The update downloaded a virus that searched for and deleted any Gamecube games it could find. Nintendo never took credit for this, their only statement was, “We are not responsible for what happens during unauthorized useage of our IP.” But the players knew what this meant. Nintendo had sabotaged the Melee community once more, but this time for good. Getting a working copy of Melee, a Gamecube/Wii, and a CRT all in the same room was virtually impossible. And getting enough setups for a smashfest was a pipe dream. Slippi had been taken away from us, while Fizzi had disappeared from public life years ago. A new Smash game was released on the Nintendo Revolution, and unsurprisingly, it was stripped of the mechanics that made Melee great. History repeated itself. Players flocked to the new game, internet arguments were had about the usefulness of wavedashing and l-cancelling. Melee fans cursed Nintendo, while fans of the new game discredited their complaints with memes. A new generation that had never played Melee blossomed with the new Smash game. And Melee became a distant memory. The community realized what Nintendo had done but were powerless to stop it. Melee was dead. We had lost.

The year is 2063. There are only 7 known copies of Melee that are not in Nintendo’s ownership. Mango, Armada, Zain, PPMD, Leffen, Toph, and Scar are the only people known to still have their physical copies. Many top players, like Mew2King, n0ne, S2J, and iBDW, held on to their copies for years, but as the value of the copies grew, and as their financial situations grew more dire, necessary decisions were made. As for Hungrybox, he never had a physical copy to begin with, and he has long since moved on to the newest smash game.

User Info: SSJxMURA

SSJxMURA
2 months ago#2
“7 copies, 7 setups. That’s enough to have a tournament.” Mango tells his grandson, as he hands him a controller and his copy of Melee. “Your father, my son, gave his life for this game. I gave my life to this game, and I would gladly keep playing if it weren’t for my stupid f***ing hands. Now it’s up to you, Joseph Marquez III. I need you to go and collect the other 6 copies of Melee, as well as their setups. Find Toph, he’s the only one who still keeps in contact with the others. Show him your copy of Melee, and he will understand. I have trained you to be the best f***ing Falco the world has ever seen. You have to show them that they will never kill us. You have to show them that there is still more Melee to be played. But don’t let Nintendo find out what you’re doing. They have sent agents to small locals in the past, and people’s copies went missing. Remember………that’s how they got your father…... No matter what, news of the tournament cannot get onto the internet. Everything must be organized offline. Do you understand?” Mango III, nods in concordance. “That’s my boy. Now go, make grandpa Mango proud.” And so begins Mango III’s journey to avenge his father and to restore Melee to it’s rightful place as the greatest esport.

User Info: VioletSaboteur3

VioletSaboteur3
2 months ago#3
Someone give this man a trophy cause that was amazing.
(Insert alpharad reference here)
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A