You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Isidrix

Isidrix
3 months ago#1
Hey, I would like to know if any of you played the new smash for switch and what is your opinion compared to melee.
FC: 2122-8328-5088
Steel Friend Safari: Ferroseed, Forretress and Excadrill

User Info: MaskedSheik

MaskedSheik
3 months ago#2
I don't have a Switch and probably won't for the near future, but it looks fun! I haven't really followed the new Smash much but I've enjoyed watching the clips I've seen and some of my friends (including more Melee-focused friends) are pretty hyped
I like this guy - Shiny Mewtwo

User Info: johneaston

johneaston
3 months ago#3
I own Ultimate and it has been great so far, though I reserve final judgement until A: I can play it with a GameCube controller (hopefully on Wednesday) and B: I've unlocked/done almost everything (finals have been rough this semester).

However, I really like it so far, though I still prefer Melee for the time being.
Such is the community that raised itself from the ashes. Melee the Phoenix.

User Info: PoIl6177

PoIl6177
3 months ago#4
It is complete and utter trash
9/2/2013, the day Reddit hacked GameFAQs
http://ibin.co/2Q0B4x43LQ0L

User Info: _HahaaE_

_HahaaE_
3 months ago#5
Its quite a good game, very fast-paced compared to the others that have come out post-Melee. There's automatic L cancelling, and there's basically wavelanding if you do it right. Basically the best you could've hoped for, coming from Nintendo. Powershielding is done differently (I believe it's actually a parry now, actually).

The game definitely passes the benchmark of "I would play this competitively" for me, who damn near finds anything non-Melee or PM (to a lesser extent) incredibly slow, to the extent of un-enjoyable.
the lily of the valley doesn't grow

User Info: sleepy_k

sleepy_k
3 months ago#6
i've been trying it out and it's pretty fun! doesn't replace melee for me but i do like it so far.
haven't played vs a competitive player in it though
http://youtube.com/user/durhamred
http://www.cafepress.com/sleepyk

User Info: PoIl6177

PoIl6177
3 months ago#7
This here is gospel, and the reason any future smash game created by Sakurai will be inherently unplayable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2j3OxA9NyU (skip 40 seconds in)
9/2/2013, the day Reddit hacked GameFAQs
http://ibin.co/2Q0B4x43LQ0L

User Info: LotsaSphagetti

LotsaSphagetti
3 months ago#8
Best game since 64, though that's not saying much.

- More aggressive-based game plans, and less campy than Melee/Brawl/4.
- Characters' are less one-tricky and gimmicky compared to Melee's shallow characters who abuse several broken moves, so Ultimate's characters require more thought since the power has been spread across their overall kit. Character depth is much deeper than Melee.
- Edgeguarding is a middle ground between Melee's braindead edgeguarding and Brawl/4's impossible edgeguarding, which actually makes the off-stage and ledge game way more complex and read-based.
- Movement is more like 64 than Melee's non-committal campy movement and 4's non-existent movement. Wavedashes fortunately suck and can't be abused like in Melee.
- So far the balance is quite nice. Top tiers have glaring weaknesses and no character can really be considered bad so far (even Dedede might be good)

However since shield dropping is still bad and combos are still minimal like in every post-64 game, I wouldn't touch it long term.
a
(edited 3 months ago)

User Info: pennylessz

pennylessz
2 months ago#9
LotsaSphagetti posted...

- Characters' are less one-tricky and gimmicky compared to Melee's shallow characters who abuse several broken moves, so Ultimate's characters require more thought since the power has been spread across their overall kit. Character depth is much deeper than Melee.
- Edgeguarding is a middle ground between Melee's braindead edgeguarding and Brawl/4's impossible edgeguarding, which actually makes the off-stage and ledge game way more complex and read-based.
- Movement is more like 64 than Melee's non-committal campy movement and 4's non-existent movement. Wavedashes fortunately suck and can't be abused like in Melee.
- So far the balance is quite nice. Top tiers have glaring weaknesses and no character can really be considered bad so far (even Dedede might be good)

However since shield dropping is still bad and combos are still minimal like in every post-64 game, I wouldn't touch it long term.

Hey, you're the mascot of melee hatred. I see you all over the Ultimate board. What are you doing here?
I was grinched by the Grinch.

User Info: BluuberryPie

BluuberryPie
2 months ago#10
pennylessz posted...
LotsaSphagetti posted...

Hey, you're the mascot of melee hatred. I see you all over the Ultimate board. What are you doing here?

he actually likes melee, he just likes to do ironic trolling
fallout3/nv remaster 64 bit pls
T7:Steve Fox, Armor King Sfv:Akuma, Nash Dbfz:Cell/Zamasu/SSJ Goku, Hit/A.Gohan/Tien