the L in l-cancelling

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Melee
  3. the L in l-cancelling

User Info: MaskedSheik

MaskedSheik
4 weeks ago#1
stands for lag, not the button L, right? But does it actually?

People have been making that claim since like 2005 and I was doubtful then, too. I don't ever remember anyone saying "lag-cancel" from my super early years on Smashboards, and why would Smash 64 players talk about Z-canceling if the Z doesn't stand for lag

I suspect the most definitive evidence one way or the other would be if anyone saved any Stadium community stuff from 2000 and 2001, since most of the basic tech skill had been mastered and shared in these communities before they reached as many of the (English-language) competitive groups. Presumably people back then would have discussed the mechanic especially in Board the Platforms in 64 and Home-run Contest in Melee. Unfortunately, I gather that a lot of that discussion happened on GameFAQs which obviously didn't archive any of it.

Anyway, I continue to think the L stands for the button L but would welcome evidence either way
I like this guy - Shiny Mewtwo

User Info: raserucort

raserucort
4 weeks ago#2
lag
You making me dancing.

User Info: COG_Killa

COG_Killa
4 weeks ago#3
The L actually stands for "long aerial attack landing animation"

User Info: BlackG0ld

BlackG0ld
3 weeks ago#4
laala cancel just doesn't have the same ring to it...
The Best Worst Melee Player of All Time
Imperator Pupienus Maximus

User Info: sa2master

sa2master
3 weeks ago#5
it has to stand for the L trigger, right?! this is one of my biggest smash terminology pet peeves. i have never in my life heard "lag cancel" aside from an online explanation of what L stands for.

Z cancel is done with your left index, and if you were moving over to melee from smash 64, it makes sense to use L for smooth landing.

interestingly, in japan they call it chakuchi cancel, which quite literally means landing cancel. though i also doubt any manner of translation happened back when these terms got popular.
"Everyone has a spike. Falco's is just better than everyone else's..." ~ capefeather

User Info: NeoSyrex

NeoSyrex
3 weeks ago#6
I've paid attention to the competitive scene since the beginning of Melee and I can tell you the definitive answer is that it stands for "landing". This was the term used in Smash 64 and it was carried over to Melee. Later, uninformed people thought the "L" referred to the L button and changed the Smash 64 technique's name to Z-cancelling. But it has always stood for "landing".

User Info: Slashtap

Slashtap
3 weeks ago#7
stands library card as in when you owe $3.29 in late fees you cancel your library card and skip town
YGO articles: http://articles.alterealitygames.com/author/johnny-li/
Gfaqs Melee: https://www.facebook.com/groups/156605271045814/

User Info: EdwinBudding

EdwinBudding
3 weeks ago#8
el cancel
Boston sports fan since 1994. UConn fan since 2012. No John Zone

User Info: TUSMEnterprises

TUSMEnterprises
2 weeks ago#9
sa2master posted...
it has to stand for the L trigger, right?!

No, because you can L cancel with either trigger, and the Z button as well.
Iunno.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Melee
  3. the L in l-cancelling

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived