Pikachu942's Worldwide Smash Ranking: 2018 Edition!

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Melee
  3. Pikachu942's Worldwide Smash Ranking: 2018 Edition!

User Info: MaskedSheik

MaskedSheik
1 month ago#191
Also Pikachu that tweet blew up!! :)
I like this guy - Shiny Mewtwo

User Info: Pikachu942

Pikachu942
1 month ago#192
Cort and Sastopher were Top 5 in their prime, and Vidjo was Top 10. KrazyJones was also about Top 10, with his Top 8 at FC3 being immensely important. Mikael was one of the best in Japan yeah, and Mike G was super duper good and an innovator of Peach, though he would always place just outside Top 8 most of the time (except TG6 where he s*** the bed and got 25th). I might be slightly biased to Mike G but he really was super good and about Top 15 in his prime I would say, arguably Top 10 if TG6 wasn't such a bust.

Sastopher and Cort especially were amazing, with Cort being easily Top 5 in the world in 2008, being positive on people like PC Chris and Azen, and being 2-2 in sets with M2K on the year, albeit the 2 he won were Falcon dittos. Sastopher was insane in 2004 and 2005, having two sets on Ken, a set on Chu, a set on Azen and a set on Isai, one of the only people who defeated every single one of the "Gods" in the pre-PC Chris era.
Destiny: Survival Games Master!
Official GFAQs Captain Falcon, Cloud & Jigglypuff Champion!
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: _FireBird_

_FireBird_
1 month ago#193
Pikachu942 posted...
Anyways, Cloud, that's ignoring stuff like Mango's wins on Armada and Leffen, which Zain doesn't have this year, and who are the current Top 2 in the world in my eyes. Zain also has more worse losses to people like Hyprid, Captain Smuckers, Crush, ARMY, Junebug, etc., while Mango's only bad losses are ARMY and Flipsy, and even Flipsy is better than Hyprid significantly.

You can't just look at placements to decide who's better, wins and losses matter. Furthermore, Zain is 0-3 vs. Wizzy this year, while Mango is 4-0 against him. Mango has defeated aMSa who I would favor over Zain as well, and Zain also has losses to Lucky, Swedish, Duck and HugS from earlier in the year.

Isn't it worth considering tournament attendance, though? (rankings from SSBM2018, not summer)

VS 1-6:
Mango: 4-10
Zain: 6-12

VS 7- 10 (Somewhat arbitrary tier, but I didn't want the disparity of Wizzrobe sets to be overlooked)
Mang0: 6-3
Zain: 0-4

VS 11-50:
Mango 11-2
Zain 57-16

So this come out to a total of 95 sets for Zain and 38 for Mango against the top 50.

Zain has attended 10 majors while Mango has attended 7.5 (And saved himself from another potentially embarrassing upset by DQ'ing)

Mango doesn't attend events like The Gang Hosts a Melee Tournament where he puts himself at risk of losing to someone like Smuckers. I'm not blaming Mango for lack of attendance of criticizing Zain for attending non-majors, but just think it is something that should be considered when one player has almost triple the data points of another.

Reminds me a lot of the college football playoffs. Is it better to earn your way in by playing the Conference Championship game that you could potentially lose, or not play that extra game and coast in on legacy/reputation like Alabama?
Cere
(edited 1 month ago)
Pikachu942 posted...

Anyways, Cloud, that's ignoring stuff like Mango's wins on Armada and Leffen, which Zain doesn't have this year, and who are the current Top 2 in the world in my eyes.

I would put Leffen and HBox pretty much equal atm, wouldn't you? I'd say Zain's two wins over HBox are pretty much on par with Mango's 1 win over HBox + 1 win over Leffen.

The win on Armada is big for Mango, but doesn't context matter a bit as well? He got it in a round robin stage where both players were already guaranteed to be in winners the next day, and then proceeded to actually lose directly to Zain in that same event and get 7th, while Zain got 3rd. Would you say Mango had the better Summit because of that win, despite the lower placing?

Zain also has more worse losses to people like Hyprid, Captain Smuckers, Crush, ARMY, Junebug, etc., while Mango's only bad losses are ARMY and Flipsy, and even Flipsy is better than Hyprid significantly.

You can't just look at placements to decide who's better, wins and losses matter. Furthermore, Zain is 0-3 vs. Wizzy this year, while Mango is 4-0 against him. Mango has defeated aMSa who I would favor over Zain as well, and Zain also has losses to Lucky, Swedish, Duck and HugS from earlier in the year.

Zain has played in way more events though to open himself up to more upsets. More volume of games played naturally will lead to more losses. Using FireBird's #s, Zain is 78% win rate vs 11-50 over 73 sets and Mango is 84% over 13 sets. Mango's volume is so low though that if he lost his next set against 11-50, he'd drop to 78% as well.

Also shouldn't a self DQ after a bad loss count just as much as suffering another bad loss? If not basically we are saying taking a DQ 65th is better than playing out losers and getting 13th and adding another "bad loss" against 11-50.

I do see your points on Wizzy/aMSA though and thats something I hadn't considered before.

Also just to be clear I don't think Zain should be above Mango now, just that he is close and could have a claim if he outplaces him at the next major.
LeBron "Stannis" James - The one true king of the NBA

User Info: Pikachu942

Pikachu942
1 month ago#195
I mean, you can excuse some bad losses when it comes to attending more, but he still has a significant amount of losses to people in the 11-20 tier that Mango just straight up hasn't suffered.

Looking at individual records:

Mango is 1-0 vs. Axe, Zain is 0-1
Mango is 1-0 vs. Swedish, while Zain is 2-2
Mango is 2-0 vs. Duck, while Zain is 2-1

Zain is superior vs. Plup (1-1 to 1-2) & ARMY (1-1 to 0-1), but that's 3-2 in Mango's favor

Furthermore, looking at their overall spreads, Mango has a 67% winrate vs. ranks 7-10, while Zain has a 0% winrate. Zain has a 71% winrate vs. 11-20, while Mango has a 100% winrate. Zain has an 80% winrate vs. 21-30, while Mango has a 67% winrate, though this in inflated via Zain's local records vs. lloD. Removing all but their CEO set, it goes down to a 75% winrate, though even then Mango has far little sample size, honestly the only place where I feel it can be unrepresentative of his skill in that area. Both have a 100% winrate vs. 31-50 when removing Mango's drunk loss to Kzhu and Zain's locals vs. Junebug, which is to be expected of Top 10 level players. They then both have 1 non-Top 50 loss each, though Zain's loss to Hyprid is far worse than Mango's to Flipsy.

Overall, I think it's pretty clear Mango is ahead atm, but like I said, Zain winning another major is another story. I think Zain still has a bit to go before he can pass Mango.
Destiny: Survival Games Master!
Official GFAQs Captain Falcon, Cloud & Jigglypuff Champion!
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Doopliss_Power

Doopliss_Power
1 month ago#196
_FireBird_ posted...
Reminds me a lot of the college football playoffs. Is it better to earn your way in by playing the Conference Championship game that you could potentially lose, or not play that extra game and coast in on legacy/reputation like Alabama?

rip Wisconsin
whoops I didn't mean to post that

MaskedSheik
1 month ago#197
Fiction making waves again :)

MaskedSheik
1 month ago#198
Congrats Habefiet!!! 😊

User Info: PerseusRad

PerseusRad
4 weeks ago#199
i won my first college local I’m basically top 60
http://i.imgur.com/EUkIomS.jpg

User Info: BlackG0ld

BlackG0ld
4 weeks ago#200
PerseusRad posted...
i won my first college local I’m basically top 60

I remember that feeling. It was a good feeling
The Best Worst Melee Player of All Time
Imperator Pupienus Maximus
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Melee
  3. Pikachu942's Worldwide Smash Ranking: 2018 Edition!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.