Pikachu942's Worldwide Smash Ranking: 2018 Edition!

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Melee
  3. Pikachu942's Worldwide Smash Ranking: 2018 Edition!
How far is Zain from Mango now that he has a major and Mango doesn't and has won the last two sets over him? Would you move Zain to 6 if he outplaces Mango at the next major?
LeBron "Stannis" James - The one true king of the NBA

User Info: Pikachu942

Pikachu942
1 month ago#182
He's won the last 3 sets over Mango actually. And no, I wouldn't. I think Mango is still pretty clearly above Zain for the year. Now if Zain actually wins another major, that's another story.
Destiny: Survival Games Master!
Official GFAQs Captain Falcon, Cloud & Jigglypuff Champion!
Pikachu942 posted...
He's won the last 3 sets over Mango actually. And no, I wouldn't. I think Mango is still pretty clearly above Zain for the year. Now if Zain actually wins another major, that's another story.

Oh ya my mistake, I forgot about the Summit set.

Is it really THAT clear for Mango>Zain? If we look at placings in common tournaments this year:

Tournament - Mango, Zain
Shine 2018 - 3rd, 1st
Super Smash Con 2018 - 65th, 9th
EVO 2018 - 5th, 9th
Smash 'N' Splash 4 - 7th, 5th
Smash Summit 6 - 7th, 3rd
Full Bloom 4 - 2nd, 9th
GENESIS 5 5th, 13th

Avg:
Mango - 13.4
Zain - 7

Zain's is better by 6.4! Of course Mango's average is thrown off by the horrible 65th at Smash Con and so we can't just compute it straight up like this (but this result should still count against him to some degree IMO). If we factor in Mango's 5th at Low Tier City and Zain's 5th at CEO and have those replace each of their worst common results (Mango's 65th at Smash Con and Zain's 13th at Genesis) we get:

Mango - 3rd/5th/7th/7th/2nd/5th/5th Avg: 4.85
Zain - 1st/9th/9th/5th/3rd/9th/5th Avg:5.85

Mango's average major placement for the year (dropping worst result) is 1 above Zain. So taking that as the baseline, the other factors are:

A)Zain has a major win, while Mango doesn't
B)Zain holds the h2h 3-0 (all wins coming in major events)
C)Zain's not accounted for poor placement is a 13th and Mango's is a 65th
D)Not hugely relevant but Zain has 1st/1st/2nd at Omega II/Pound Ground/Smash Valley, while Mango only has a drunken 17th at The Mango in regards to other results

I think Zain is pretty close to Mango atm looking at all that.
LeBron "Stannis" James - The one true king of the NBA

User Info: MaskedSheik

MaskedSheik
1 month ago#184
Ooh I've been so excited to see your takeaway from Shine. Zain is amazing, ARMY is suddenly so good omg, this is great

Since you've started doing these lists, has there been any player who has gotten as close to the top echelon as Zain (i.e. one event away from overtaking a top n player) besides Plup and Leffen? Wizzy maybe? I feel that Zain is the next god
I like this guy - Shiny Mewtwo

Pikachu942
1 month ago#185
ChuDat was close to overtaking Plup in 2017 after Battle of BC 2. I think I had him above Plup actually.

Anyways, Cloud, that's ignoring stuff like Mango's wins on Armada and Leffen, which Zain doesn't have this year, and who are the current Top 2 in the world in my eyes. Zain also has more worse losses to people like Hyprid, Captain Smuckers, Crush, ARMY, Junebug, etc., while Mango's only bad losses are ARMY and Flipsy, and even Flipsy is better than Hyprid significantly.

You can't just look at placements to decide who's better, wins and losses matter. Furthermore, Zain is 0-3 vs. Wizzy this year, while Mango is 4-0 against him. Mango has defeated aMSa who I would favor over Zain as well, and Zain also has losses to Lucky, Swedish, Duck and HugS from earlier in the year.

User Info: Fire_Plover

Fire_Plover
1 month ago#186
can we talk about Gahtzu being sick af tho

I’m more hype he got 6th than I am Zain won
blip blip

User Info: PoIl6177

PoIl6177
1 month ago#187
Is llod second best peach of all time? Is he higher now than mac-drizzle ever was?
9/2/2013, the day Reddit hacked GameFAQs
http://ibin.co/2Q0B4x43LQ0L

Pikachu942
1 month ago#188
I was more happy for Gahtzu than Zain yeah. I was so goddamn happy, highlight of the tourney in my eyes.

Also, MacD isn't even 2nd best Peach all-time, and he's definitely still above lloD, being Top 15 at one point. Players like Cort, Vidjo and Sastopher had amazing careers, and Mikael, KrazyJones and Mike G are definitely still higher. lloD's definitely jumped into the Wife/Pink Shinobi/VanZ tier of Peaches though, I could see him rising if he continues entering stuff and doesn't fully focus on medical school.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: PoIl6177

PoIl6177
1 month ago#189
Pikachu942 posted...
Players like Cort, Vidjo and Sastopher had amazing careers, and Mikael, KrazyJones and Mike G are definitely still higher.

They were top 15 at their prime?
9/2/2013, the day Reddit hacked GameFAQs
http://ibin.co/2Q0B4x43LQ0L

User Info: MaskedSheik

MaskedSheik
1 month ago#190
Cort Vidjo and Sastopher for sure (Sastopher got 2nd and 4th at the biggest majors of his time, taking two sets off of Ken--that's as comparable to an off-day Armada as to any lesser Peach). KrazyJones got one or two top 8s in the MLG era. Mikael was a Japanese powerhouse, I don't know much about that scene back then. Mike G I don't know all that much about either, he seemed to be a regional powerhouse but not all that important at nationals iirc but I might be remembering wrong
I like this guy - Shiny Mewtwo
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. Melee
  3. Pikachu942's Worldwide Smash Ranking: 2018 Edition!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.