You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contributors
  3. Unofficial GameFAQs Badges V2 Guide

User Info: ZeoKnight

ZeoKnight
1 month ago#1
Welcome to the second version of the GameFAQs badges guide. This guide is created based on the badge system launched in 12/17/2018. Previously I also have written the guide for the first badge system which can be read here https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/5-gamefaqs-contributors/76003530 but it's already outdated so a new one is required to keep up with the newest structure.

The objective of this guide is obviously to help you in collecting every badge provided by GameFAQs, likewise what you do when playing games if you are a completionist. I'll give some tips on how to obtain the badges as well as some of my own experience when trying to get certain badges.

What's new on V2?
If you still remember about the first system, here are several noticeable changes made by GameFAQs:
* Badge level is not restricted to level 5 anymore. Badges can be obtained infinitely as long as you meet the criteria over and over.
* Each badge has a trophy attached to it: Gold, Silver or Bronze. One type of badge may have more than one trophy with different requirement. For instance, Answered, Authority, Confirmer and Enlightened badges now have three trophies whereas Achiever, Artist, Author, Cheater and Photograph only have two instead.
* There is a page showing your progress towards all the badges. Each badge also has progress bar and the exact number so users will know how many contributions / actions are needed to achieve the next badge. When looking at someone else' page, there is a feature to compare your progress and him.
* In the Full Badges page https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/community/%21/badges every badge is now clickable, showing the latest people who received it as well as who got the most badge levels.
* Scholar badge (posted complete text or HTML FAQs) is removed. This badge was nearly identical to Author badge so it didn't serve any purpose.
* Submitted badge (won Contributor of the Month) is added.
* BYG badge is also split in two. There is still no way of obtaining this badge unless GameFAQs reopens the contest.
* Badger and Mushroom badges are removed. Now there is no way to know who has collected the most unique badges or the highest amount of badges.
* A trophy icon is added in the top right corner of the page, giving notification about badges you just obtained recently.

GameFAQs also states to add more badges frequently and at the time of writing there was already one update on 02/01/2019. The new badges under this update will be discussed after the main badges.

Please note that any obtained badges won't be shown immediately in your profile. The badge system will update daily at 00:00 UTC +0, meaning you need to subtract or add the hour depending on your time zone.
First FOTM won 05/26/2017, FOTM wins/attempts: 3/4, first ROTM won 01/06/2018, ROTM wins/attempts: 1/4
First COTM won 08/10/2018

ZeoKnight
1 month ago#2
Usage - Badges awarded based on GameFAQs site usage

[Bronze] Birthday: Account is a year old
How to make progress: Create a GameFAQs account and wait for one year.
This badge' level is calculated from how many years your account has been created. You'll still obtain the badge even though you skip the whole year and log in later. Its level can't be manipulated by yourself, so older accounts will always have more points than the new ones.

[Silver] Visitor: Visited the site on 250 different days
How to make progress: Log into your account after creating it.
This task is very straightforward but takes quite some time to be accomplished. That's around eight and a half months of staying with GameFAQs. Once again there is no way to manipulate this badge; older accounts will always have more points if they always login daily.
First FOTM won 05/26/2017, FOTM wins/attempts: 3/4, first ROTM won 01/06/2018, ROTM wins/attempts: 1/4

ZeoKnight
1 month ago#3
Answers - Badges awarded based on GameFAQs Answers usage

[Bronze] Answerer: Answered 200 different questions
[Silver] Answerer: Answered at least 25 different questions for 10 or more games
[Gold] Answerer: Answered at least 10 different questions for 50 or more games
How to make progress: Visit any game's Answer page, and provide an answer to any unresolved questions.

Multiple answers on the same question are counted as separate answers. Therefore if you want to have a perfect ratio of answers and accepted answers (for Authority) you can only give one answer on each question.
There are a lot of older games which have unresolved questions. Provided you have the knowledge, you can answer 200 questions in just a few days. However, you may also want to limit yourself to 25 answers per game if you want to achieve the silver trophy.

In order to obtain all trophies: the minimum amount of answers you need is 25 * 10 + 10 * 40 = 650 answers. It would take a few days or weeks depending on how knowledgeable you are. These badges work in conjunction with Authority so you probably want to attain it in the same time.

[Bronze] Authority: Provided 200 accepted answers
[Silver] Authority: Provided at least 25 accepted answers for 10 or more games
[Gold] Authority: Provided at least 10 accepted answers for 50 or more games
How to make progress: Visit any game's Answer page, provide an answer to any unresolved questions, and wait until the questioner accepts your answer. If you have written a FAQ for a particular game, you can provide an answer and accept it immediately. People who have obtained Expert status can also accept your answer.

Accepted answers can also be obtained through upvotes. If no one downvotes the answer, it takes a new question around three weeks to turn an answer with at least one upvote into "Top Voted Answers", and more upvotes will convert it faster. If you answer a question that's more than three weeks, after receiving an upvote your answer will normally be converted in the following day. So far I never successfully converted answers with any downvote. If you want to test this out, please report your progress here.
Since you need someone who accepts your answers, it's better to cooperate with someone who wants to obtain Enlightened at the same time, especially its silver trophy. Let him ask questions, answer all of them, and tell him to accept yours.

In order to obtain all trophies: you need a minimum of 650 accepted answers as calculated above. It would take weeks or months (much longer than Answerer) but would be cleared around the same time if you form a teamwork with someone. The silver badge also clear Expert in the process so you probably want to attain it in the same time.

ZeoKnight
1 month ago#4
[Bronze] Confirmer: Voted on 500 different answers
[Silver] Confirmer: Voted on at least 50 different answers for 10 or more games
[Gold] Confirmer: Voted on at least 25 different answers for 50 or more games
How to make progress: Visit any game's Answer page, select any unresolved questions, then give a vote, either upvote or downvote, to any answer. Each answer in a question is counted separately. If one question has five answers, you can collect a total of five votes in this question.

Voting answers seems easy, yes? No! There is a catch. GameFAQs only registers less than 100 votes a day as valid votes to prevent users who want to obtain the gold trophy in just one day. If you somehow make more than 100 votes in a day, it's not counted towards the progress (but your votes are still registered).

In order to obtain all trophies: you need a minimum of 50 * 10 + 25 * 40 = 1,500 votes. With the mentioned limitation please refrain yourself to one 50 votes and one 25 votes a day, and then 3 25 votes once you already obtained the silver trophy. It would take at least 10 (for silver) + 14 (for gold) = 24 days. If you are also working towards Enlightened you can also vote someone's answer before accepting it and closing your own question.
I also found out a strange situation regarding "Top Voted Answers". Upvotes who become Top Voted Answers somehow aren't registered as valid entry. Let's say you want to work on the [Gold] Confirmer and you help someone who wants to achieve [Silver] Authority by voting 25 answers on old questions. In the next day, your upvotes will be converted into Top Voted Answers but there is no progress on your gold trophy. But upvotes in "Accepted Answers" do still count. I really don't know why.

[Bronze] Enlightened: Accepted 100 answers to your own questions
[Silver] Enlightened: Accepted at least 15 answers to your own questions for 5 or more games
[Gold] Enlightened: Accepted at least 5 answers to your own questions for 15 or more games
How to make progress: Visit any game's Answer page and ask a question. Wait until any user provides the answer, then accept it if it's correct.

Asking questions looks uncomplicated but finding someone who is still active to answer your questions is probably not, especially for older games. The best action to clear this badge would be cooperating with someone who can provide the answers immediately, especially if they want to obtain Answerer, Authority and Expert at the same time. Also please note that you're the only one who can accept the answer of your own questions; if a FAQ Author / Expert accepts the answers, they are somehow not counted towards the progress.

In order to obtain all trophies: 15 * 5 + 5 * 10 = 125 questions are required. It would normally take a long time unless you have an active friend who can answer your questions immediately. This would take a few days tops. It's safer if you ask only a few questions at a time because someone else may quickly answer your question (because they track the page) which then has a possibility to be accepted by an active FAQ Author / Expert. If happened, you need to ask additional question.

ZeoKnight
1 month ago#5
[Gold] Expert: Became an Expert for 10 games
How to make progress: Visit any game's Answer page, provide answer to any unresolved questions, and wait until your answer is accepted either by the questioner or being converted into Top Voted Answer due to receiving upvotes. Repeat this method "several" times.

There are still so many mysteries regarding this badge. Sometimes you need more than 10 answers and sometimes you don't. Sometimes 6 "Accepted" answers are enough, but sometimes more than 12 accepted answers are not. I even had two occasions where I became Expert without having "Accepted" answers. All I did was answering 25 questions (due to [Silver] Answerer and [Silver] Authority) and just letting my friend upvote them. I didn't know how many votes he gave, but for one day I became Expert with 0 accepted answer.
It also seems that "Accepted Answers" have more weight than "Top Voted Answers", which means if you have collected "Accepted Answers", it would take less amount of answers than if you rely on collecting "Top Voted Answers". With at least one "Accepted Answer", the lowest requirement I've ever seen is 6 answer / 6 accepted with 5 upvotes, but without any "Accepted Answer", the lowest requirement I've ever seen is 15 answer / 15 accepted with 15 upvotes. Once again the best action would be helping your friend achieving his/her Enlightened, especially the silver trophy.
Regarding this, GameFAQs seems to limit how many Expert status you can get in one day. During my testing two Expert status are possible but not more than that, which means at least 5 days are required to obtain the badge. If you want to test this out, please report your progress here.

Answer Badges Extra Notes:
The difficulty of these badges will be mitigated if you have a friend who also wants to collect his/her badges. Someone available in the Top Answers Users page https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/community/%21/answers may also help you as well.

ZeoKnight
1 month ago#6
My Games - Badges awarded based on My Games usage

[Bronze] Clockwatcher: Rated the length of 100 games in My Games
How to make progress: Visit your My Collection page https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/mygames/collection and add any game you want, then click on Rate Games, click on Length and give your opinion.
It's just a matter of giving rating. You can even give rating to game that you don't own or don't even play. A hundred games would require a few hours to be cleared. This should be done after obtaining Collector, and then try to achieve Materialist or Digitizer, Rater, Judge, and Completionist in one shot.

[Bronze] Collector: Marked 250 games as owned in My Games
How to make progress: Visit your My Collection page https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/mygames/collection and add any game you want.
Depending on how many games you've played in your life, this badge is perhaps easy or hard to be obtained. However, adding 250 games itself should be straightforward, even if you just add random games. I still prefer to add games based on my real experience, not for the sake of obtaining the badge. Thankfully I managed to recollect more than 400 games I've played during my life.

[Bronze] Completionist: Marked 100 games as beaten in My Games
How to make progress: Visit your My Collection page https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/mygames/collection and add any game you want, then click on Rate Games, click on Completion and choose Beat It or Conquered it.
It's just a matter of giving rating. Even though you can give rating to games you don't own, it's discouraged to do so. A hundred games would require a few hours to be cleared. This should be done after obtaining Collector, and then try to achieve Materialist or Digitizer, Rater, Judge, and Clockwatcher in one shot.

[Silver] Digitizer: Marked 150 games as digitally owned in My Games
How to make progress: Visit your My Collection page https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/mygames/collection and add any game you want, then visit its Home page and choose Digital on the Owned section.
Depending on how many games you've played in your life, this badge is perhaps easy or hard to be obtained. However, adding 100 digital games itself should be straightforward, even if you just add random games. I still prefer to add games based on my real experience, not for the sake of obtaining the badge. Thankfully I managed to recollect more than 200 digital games I've played during my life. This should be done after obtaining Collector, and then try to achieve Rater, Judge, Clockwatcher, and Completionist in one shot.

[Bronze] Heater: Added 50 games to Hot List
How to make progress: Visit your Hot List page https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/mygames/hotlist and add any game to the list.
Hot List is limited to 50 games which means in order to get the badge you have to fill the whole list. Should take a couple of minutes to get the job done. However, I still prefer to add games based on my real experience, not for the sake of obtaining the badge.

ZeoKnight
1 month ago#7
[Bronze] Judge: Rated the difficulty of 100 games in My Games
How to make progress: Visit your My Collection page https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/mygames/collection and add any game you want, then click on Rate Games, click on Difficulty and give your opinion.
It's just a matter of giving rating. You can even give rating to game that you don't own or don't even play. A hundred games would require a few hours to be cleared. This should be done after obtaining Collector, and then try to achieve Materialist or Digitizer, Rater, Clockwatcher, and Completionist in one shot.

[Silver] Materialist: Marked 150 games as physically owned in My Games
How to make progress: Visit your My Collection page https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/mygames/collection and add any game you want, then visit its Home page and choose Own on the Owned section.
Depending on how many games you've played in your life, this badge is perhaps easy or hard to be obtained. However, adding 150 physical games itself should be straightforward, even if you just add random games. I still prefer to add games based on my real experience, not for the sake of obtaining the badge. Thankfully I managed to recollect a little bit more than 150 physical games I've played during my life. This should be done after obtaining Collector, and then try to achieve Rater, Judge, Clockwatcher, and Completionist in one shot.

[Bronze] Queuer: Added 50 games to Play Queue
How to make progress: Visit your Play Queue page https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/mygames/queue and add any game to the list.
Play Queue has a limit of 250 games, but the number can be increased if you eventually own the game and change the status. Remember, you need to wait for one day to register the game as "Play Queue" then another day to change the ownership type (Physical or Digital). Filling this list up should take a couple of hours. However, I still prefer to add games based on my real experience, not for the sake of obtaining the badge.

[Bronze] Rater: Rated 250 games in My Games
How to make progress: Visit your My Collection page https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/mygames/collection and add any game you want, then click on Rate Games, click on Rating and give your opinion.
It's just a matter of giving rating. You can even give rating to game that you don't own or don't even play. 250 games would require a few hours to be cleared. This should be done after obtaining Collector, and then try to achieve Materialist or Digitizer, Judge, Clockwatcher, and Completionist in one shot.

[Bronze] Wisher: Added 50 games to Wish List
How to make progress: Visit your Wish List page https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/mygames/wishlist and add any game to the list.
Wish List has a limit of 250 games, but the number can be increased if you eventually own the game and change the status. Remember, you need to wait for one day to register the game as "Wish List" then another day to change the ownership type (Physical or Digital). Filling this list up should take a couple of hours. However, I still prefer to add games based on my real experience, not for the sake of obtaining the badge.

ZeoKnight
1 month ago#8
My Games Badges Extra Notes:
The badge system will update daily and reflect your current state. Removing ratings and games may eliminate your badge. For instance, if you fill up your Hot List with 50 games, you'll obtain Heater in the next day. However, if you empty your list afterwards, your badge will also be lost in the following day. Same thing happens to Queuer and Wisher so remember to use the previously-mentioned method to keep your badge. This category is definitely the easiest category to attain all unique badges since you have full controls over the requirements.

ZeoKnight
1 month ago#9
Contributions - Badges awarded based on Contributions to GameFAQs

[Bronze] Achiever: Submitted 500 Achievements and/or Trophies
[Silver] Achiever: Submitted Achievements and/or Trophies for 100 games
How to make progress: Visit Cheat submission page https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/contribute/submit_cheat and choose any game, then select Trophies and contribute any items that still hasn't been covered yet. The progress will be registered when your contribution has been accepted.

Looking for potential games is easier through the advanced lookup https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/search_advanced . Leave the keyword blank, set Platform to Playstation 4 / Playstation 3 / Playstation Vita / Xbox One / Xbox 360 / PC and Content to Does not have one or more achievements or trophies. It's also recommended to sort the result by Release date (newest to oldest). For every result here there is a Submit Cheat link which will take you to the cheat submission page. However, you need to google out the trophies / achievements to get the list. A list of trophies can be obtained in the website such as playstationtrophies.org, xboxachievements.org and truesteamachievements.com
Trophies have multiple entries (generally around 10 to 25 or more Trophies per game) which are counted separately. If you submit 25 Trophies in one game, you will register 25 points on the badge. Unfortunately, you won't get points for updating any Trophies submitted by other users.

In order to obtain all trophies: You need to submit an average of 5 trophies / achievements for 100 games. Finding 100 unmarked games is somewhat difficult as usually popular games will already have their trophies submitted even before the game is launched. You have to keep switching between the previously-mentioned six consoles to find the games. This could take weeks or months to be accomplished.

[Bronze] Artist: Submitted 50 FAQ images
[Silver] Artist: Submitted FAQ images for 50 games
How to make progress: Visit Upload a New FAQ submission page https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/contribute/submit_file/new and choose any game, then upload your image and choose Other as file type. The progress will be registered when your contribution has been accepted.

In general, most of image submissions are about maps. World maps, dungeons, or maze solutions are usually the ones being submitted in the game. Providing your own image is the best method. If you somehow take other person's work, you will have a chance to be reported by that person.

In order to obtain all trophies: You need to submit one image for 50 games. I have no talent on drawing so it's difficult for me to make a progress towards this badge, let alone 50 images. This task may take months or years to be accomplished.

ZeoKnight
1 month ago#10
[Bronze] Author: Submitted 50 written FAQs
[Silver] Author: Submitted written FAQs for 50 games
How to make progress: There are 2 types of FAQs: text FAQ or HTML FAQ.
* In order to post a plaintext guide, of course you should have written a guide in a text file before. When it's done, visit Upload a New FAQ submission page https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/contribute/submit_file/new and choose that game. Upload the file, choose its category, and fill out the descriptions.
* In order to post a HTML FAQ guide, you can compose a new HTML FAQ through the online editor https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/contribute/editor_doc_select . When your guide is ready, visit Submit a New Formatted FAQ page https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/contribute/submit_file/ffaq_new and choose that game. Select the online document, choose its category, and fill out the descriptions.
The progress will be registered when your contribution has been accepted.

As additional note, if you want to write a HTML FAQ, you don't need to start from scratch. In the online document list page https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/contribute/editor_doc_select there is an option to upload your saved text guide to the online editor, but the guide must follow GameFAQs markup formats. Please read here for more explanations https://www.gamefaqs.gamespot.com/help/53-formatted-faqs-markup
You don't need to submit a completed FAQ. Partial FAQ (half white/half black circle) or Skeleton FAQ (full white circle) is still valid. You can even submit a non FAQ guide, such as (In-Depth FAQ, Codes and Secrets, Patch Codes, or Character FAQ).

In order to obtain all trophies: You need to submit one FAQ for 50 games. Since you don't need to submit a "FAQ", you can try to write about various lists of a particular game. Item List, Equipment List, Enemy List, and other specific lists are the best choice. If you write one list every day, you will accomplish this task in approximately one and half months.

[Bronze] Boxer: Submitted 100 Box Shots
How to make progress: Visit Box Scans and Icons submission page https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/contribute/submit_box and choose any game, then upload its front cover, back cover, or any other box image. The progress will be registered when your contribution has been accepted.

Looking for potential games is easier through the advanced lookup https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/search_advanced . Leave the keyword blank and set Content to Does not have a front box shot. You can further refine the result by setting the platform or distribution. For every result here there is a Submit Box link which will take you to the box submission page. To look for the box shots you can visit some online game stores such as ebay.com or amazon.com, or game database site like mobygames.com. The latter is good for finding retro box shots (remember to refine the result and select any retro console).
You have to submit a new image or provide a better image than the current ones. Most of the games usually only have front cover, so you can submit your own scanned back cover. Newer games also have alternate covers for different regions (US, JP, EU, or any others). Some games also have feature like "Premium Release" at later date. This special release may come with outer package which can also be scanned and submitted.
Box Images have multiple entries (front, back, and outer box) which are counted separately. For example, if you submit front and back covers, you will have 2 submission entries. Finding up 100 box scans is easy to medium; this task may take days or weeks to be accomplished.
  1. Boards
  2. GameFAQs Contributors
  3. Unofficial GameFAQs Badges V2 Guide