• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Max Payne
  3. I loved the story and gritty atmosphere but....

User Info: Agent M

Agent M
9 years ago#1
Those platforming sections were nothing short of awful. I mean, obviously the controls weren't designed around being a platformer - so who thought navigating super thin platforms would be a good idea? Not to mention he controls like he's intoxicated while he's dreaming.

It's a shame because the dream sequences were really well done otherwise.

Loading times/forced in-game cutscenes really tried my patience too on the tougher levels. The train jump and first time you meet the helicopter in the Aesir building were the worst for that I think. I also despised the section where you ride in a cart past blowing flames. Anything involving jumping, to be honest. And lasers. It's one of the few games I've played that felt like a real drag to complete because of those flaws. I think half of my deaths were 1 hit kills from grenades that I couldn't avoid! I read afterwards that it was a vastly inferior version of the game.... ah well, it was only 3 bucks!

I really liked Max Payne's character though. I especially liked his deadpan sarcasm, even in the face of his enemies. "I got tired of waiting, I figured we could just as well finish this here." So many good quotes. Like the one about the skipper being the ferryman of the river Styx. Or as he walks into the Aesir building and says it's colder than a walk-in cooler.... cold as a gun.
  1. Boards
  2. Max Payne
  3. I loved the story and gritty atmosphere but....
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A