• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Advance Wars
  3. Incredible strategic game

User Info: Shinagawakun

Shinagawakun
2 years ago#1
I wish the characters we could use were unique characters. I'm not a big fan of the "sacrifice xx to gain xx advantage" type of gameplay and this one was full of it. This is where other TRPG like FE series triumphs IMO At the end of the day, all I could care was completing a stage, like there was no sense of urgency or fear of any kind as no matter how many units get killed it wouldn't matter. I felt desanitised by the end. lol

User Info: Xenesis Xenon

Xenesis Xenon
2 years ago#2
Well, that's because it's not an RPG, it is a pure TBS unlike Fire Emblem.
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled Advance Wars community on the web.

Shinagawakun
2 years ago#3
Xenesis Xenon posted...
Well, that's because it's not an RPG, it is a pure TBS unlike Fire Emblem.

I found that out after trying it out. It was my first time venturing into this series and I didn't know it was a pure turn-based tactics. An article about a tactical RPG referred me towards this game.

User Info: Xenesis Xenon

Xenesis Xenon
2 years ago#4
Yeah. That happens a lot for some reason. Everyone calls it an srpg and people inevitability get disappointed when it isn't.
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled Advance Wars community on the web.

User Info: ThEBMaN

ThEBMaN
1 year ago#5
Lol really? That's the whole premise of the game. You're supposed to bait the enemy with weak units to take them out with your stronger units and long range weaponry. What did you expect? It's a war type turn based Strategy game, not an RPG. Why do you even care that the units are generic troops vs unique characters? The CO's are the unique characters, so what's the problem?

It's too bad that you can't appreciate greatness. This is a FANTASTIC game and one of the best turn based Strategy games ever made. This is not Fire Emblem, and cannot be played like it. I don't see how so many ppl can make that mistake. I am a HUGE fan of both franchises but know well enough that they aren't the same. I am actually playing thru both this game and FE7 as we speak and have no problem at all switching off between the two.
"HAVE YOU.... OR HAVE YOU NOT.... HEARD.... ABOUT.... THE BIRD?"
(edited 1 year ago)

Shinagawakun
1 year ago#6
@ThEBMaN
It was my first game in the series and I was recommended this as a TRPG by a friend not a TBS. If I'd never played it before how was I supposed to know it wasn't RPG. Besides, I never said I didn't like the game. The thread title should've been self explanatory, I greatly enjoyed it. I was just disappointed that I was lured into the series under false pretenses. Either way, I loved it. I've played all other games in this series since I posted this thread.
(edited 1 year ago)

User Info: JDM_Jev

JDM_Jev
1 year ago#7
The happy go lucky presentation gives a hilarious juxtaposition to the sheer grind of the battling. Though after you learn the AI it’s basically about sacrificing the units the AI will target first while you shuttle some soldiers to the enemy HQ.
And the bears what was left were cloaked in acid washed denim, and stately stones of rhine.

User Info: TiggerArmy

TiggerArmy
1 year ago#8
Shinagawakun posted...
It was my first game in the series and I was recommended this as a TRPG by a friend not a TBS.
that happens a lot. I've heard several people say: 'this one is like Fire Emblem.' Now that I've reached the final battle I can say that other than fighting on a grid- & turnbased map it's not like Fire Emblem at all.

I'm enjoying it nontheless (eventhough I kind of suck at it). And I'm fairly happy all the units are non-characters otherwise I'd try to figure a way to spare them all (which is obviously impossible).

Shinagawakun
1 year ago#9
TiggerArmy posted...
that happens a lot. I've heard several people say: 'this one is like Fire Emblem.' Now that I've reached the final battle I can say that other than fighting on a grid- & turnbased map it's not like Fire Emblem at all.

I'm enjoying it nontheless (eventhough I kind of suck at it). And I'm fairly happy all the units are non-characters otherwise I'd try to figure a way to spare them all (which is obviously impossible).
Exactly. I've enjoyed all the games. It's very disappointing that there's no AW title for 3DS and Switch. Would love another game.
This game is PERFECTION.
When in Rome, we shall do as the Romans. When in Hell, we do shots at the bar.
  1. Boards
  2. Advance Wars
  3. Incredible strategic game
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A