Best Tactician's Affinity

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem
  3. Best Tactician's Affinity

User Info: Darnocius

Darnocius
2 years ago#1
I came accross a thread on serenesforest where a user made the claim that the Thunder Affinity is the best Affinity in S Rank Attempts in Hector Hard Mode.

While the Tacticians Affinity Bonuses are a really minute part of Blazing Sword's strategy and Tactics, it raised my curiosity as to why this is the case?

The potential hit and avoid bonus from Tactician Stars would in this case go to

Hector, Serra, Bartre, Erk, Heath, Wallace and Geitz.

And since you can't get both of Wallace and Geitz on any given playthrough, that means 6 Characters benefit from the Tactician's Bonus on any given playthrough compared to the greater number of Fire, Wind, Anima and Ice Affinities.

So that makes me wonder, which is the best Tacticians Affinity for S Rank runs and Unranked Runs respectively?

Personally I am of the opinion that it is Wind because Wind Affinity characters generate no avoid from supports and thus stand to have their deficit compensated by the Tactician's bonus and theres a lot of units with that Affinity that rely heavily on Evasion to stay alive. (Lyn, Matthew, Sain, Prisiclla, Fiora, Wil, and Hawkeye being the pool of characters in Wind)

That being said, I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on the matter and particularly curious as to why Thunder particularly?

User Info: Thegreatlark

Thegreatlark
2 years ago#2
Best affinity is Ice, because it corresponds with my birth month.

On a serious note, I think Raven is Ice, along with Ninian, Marcus, Pent and.... Legault (?). 4, possibly 5 invaluable characters in HHM that all benefit from the high evade and defense bonuses the affinity gives.

Thunder is pretty good, too, considering Hector, Serra, and Geitz (with maybe Heath) being solid units you would most likely use in HHM.

The critical bonus Thunder gets versus the hit bonus Ice bestows can be argued for either point.

Light and Dark are the worst, IMO.
GT: MasterLane27
Kabuto of the NUNSG Board

Darnocius
2 years ago#3
Thegreatlark posted...

Light and Dark are the worst, IMO.

Light at least has units you'd plausibly use.
(Florina, Lucius, Karel, Louise)

Dark on the other hand...

Well Merlinus isn't exactly combat, Isadora is not ideal, Karla is not guarunteed to be recruited, and Rath, while he's someone I'm a huge fan of personally, is just not good enough to justify to devote the entire Tactician Affinity just for him.

There's no contender for worst Afffinity than Dark

User Info: LukeSkyvvalker

LukeSkyvvalker
2 years ago#4
I agree with Wind being the best.
If great movies are a bright center to the Universe, then The Force Awakens is on the planet that it's farthest from. -- Breastmilkn_Dip

User Info: Dekadense

Dekadense
2 years ago#5
Wind is okay. Since its boosts quite a few characters that are readily available. The catch is that half the Wind affinitiy units are also sword users and those in general don't need accuracy and avoidance that much. The thing is, these units don't appear in the early bandit chapters who are full of axes users, in where they could really matter.

Thunder wins because Hector will be able to abuse it pretty much right off the bat. Serra will mostly be in the back and Erk can enjoy it for a chapter before getting flooded by Wind affinity characters. Wind loses out by a few chapters, thus hindering the run and handicapping Hector slightly, which can make or break your run.
Pokemon Y FC: 1178-0884-7049, IGN: Dekadense
Friend Safari Type: Ground; Marowak, Wooper, Diggersby

User Info: MalcolmMasher

MalcolmMasher
2 years ago#6
It's a valid point that the party will never include both Wallace and Geitz, but take it a step further; it doesn't matter whether Wil is receiving tactician bonuses if he's spending the playthrough on the bench. Thunder affinity is guaranteed Hector, and both Heath and Geitz get HHM bonuses that make them more appealing. (Granted, players who want Wallace must skip Geitz, but players who want Karla must level Bartre.) Even Serra is a strong candidate for ranking runs, because healers don't share combat EXP before promotion and gain increased kill EXP afterward. Doesn't help in the direct comparison to Wind/Priscilla, of course...

Personally I just take one of Fire/Ice/Anima/Wind/Thunder and call it good.
I don't like this duchy. Now, it's an adventurer.

User Info: Wandering__Hero

Wandering__Hero
2 years ago#7
I'm pretty sure we've had thsi debate many times and the general consensus is Thunder, with Anima getting some votes.

Irrc thunder, cause it's got a bunch of power units like Hector and Anima cause it boosts Eliwuss and irrc Anima is the most frequent affinity in game
Click the sites these contain to donate to charity for free http://www.thenonprofits.com/

Darnocius
2 years ago#8
A topic being discussed before doesn't mean it isn't worth discussing again.

Tell me who exactly is most susceptible to being RNG screwed?

But in terms of number of each affinity,

Fire clocks in at 8 with 1 being optional in Harken (Lowen, Rebecca, Dorcas, Guy, Dart,Niño, Harken, Vaida)
Wind has 7 (Lyn, Sain, Wil, Matthew, Priscilla, Fiora, Hawkeye)
Thunder has 7 but only 6 ever usable in one playthrough (Hector, Bartre, Serra, Erk, Heath, Geitz/Wallace)
Anima has 6 (Eliwood, Oswin, Kent, Canas, Farina, Renault)
Ice has 6 (Marcus, Raven, Legault, Ninian, Pent, Jaffar)
Light has 4 but 1 optional in Karel (Florina, Lucius, Louise, Karel)
Dark has 4 but 1 is Merlinus and 1 is Karla who is dependent on your Bartre usage.(Isadora, Rath, Merlinus, Karla)

If we are talking sheer quantity, fire wins.

That said, stronger cases can be made for Wind, Thunder and Anima simply because, Dorcas and Lowen's growths really hurt them. And Niño and Vaida have obvious problems as units in an S rank attempt.

But there's a lot of holes in the "Wil gets benched" argument because if you were planning on using Rebecca to begin with, it's not like Wil isn't JUST AS VIABLE! People just like her better cuz of her crazy speed.

User Info: Gaming_Mastery

Gaming_Mastery
2 years ago#9
:D
If you see me using the word "Irnoy", it's on purpose.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0iGq63ZWLgd

User Info: Thegreatlark

Thegreatlark
2 years ago#10
Darnocius posted...
A topic being discussed before doesn't mean it isn't worth discussing again.

Tell me who exactly is most susceptible to being RNG screwed?

But in terms of number of each affinity,

Fire clocks in at 8 with 1 being optional in Harken (Lowen, Rebecca, Dorcas, Guy, Dart,Niño, Harken, Vaida)
Wind has 7 (Lyn, Sain, Wil, Matthew, Priscilla, Fiora, Hawkeye)
Thunder has 7 but only 6 ever usable in one playthrough (Hector, Bartre, Serra, Erk, Heath, Geitz/Wallace)
Anima has 6 (Eliwood, Oswin, Kent, Canas, Farina, Renault)
Ice has 6 (Marcus, Raven, Legault, Ninian, Pent, Jaffar)
Light has 4 but 1 optional in Karel (Florina, Lucius, Louise, Karel)
Dark has 4 but 1 is Merlinus and 1 is Karla who is dependent on your Bartre usage.(Isadora, Rath, Merlinus, Karla)

Going off of this information, I thought a good idea would be to assign points to each affinity based on unit placement in the tier list. The list I used is: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/468480-fire-emblem/57731820
Top Tier Units get 6 points, High get 5, etc. Point Values are then averaged.

Fire: Lowen (+5), Rebecca (+2), Dorcas (+4), Guy (+5), Dart (+2), Neenyo (+2), Harken (+4), Vaida (+2) = 26 points/8 units = 3.25
Wind: Lyn (+3), Sain (+5), Wil (+2), Matthew (+6), Priscilla (+6), Fiora (+4), Hawkeye (+4) = 30 points/7units = 4.29
Thunder with Geitz : Hector (+5), Bartre (+3), Serra (+6), Erk (+5), Heath (+3), Geitz (+4) = 26 Points/6units = 4.33
Thunder with Wallace: See above, subtract 3 points, 23 Points/6units = 3.83
Averaged Thunder: (4.33+3.83)/2 =4.08
Anima: Eliwood (+5), Oswin (+5), Kent (+5), Canas (+4), Farina (+2), Renault (+1) = 22 Points/6units =3.67
Ice : Marcus (+5), Raven (+6), Legault (+4), Ninian (+6), Pent (+4), Jaffar (+3) = 28 Points/6units =4.67
Light Florina (+5), Lucius (+4), Louise (+2), Karel (+2) = 13 Points/4units = 3.25
Dark Isadora (+3), Rath (+2), Karla (+1) = 6 Points/3units = 2.00

So, going off of a 5 year old S Ranking HHM tier list;
Ice > Thunder + G > Wind > Avrg Thunder > Thunder + W > Anima > Fire = Light > Dark
Take that as you will.

Reppin' my boys and girl in Ice, homes.
GT: MasterLane27
Kabuto of the NUNSG Board
  1. Boards
  2. Fire Emblem
  3. Best Tactician's Affinity

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived