• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Grand Theft Auto III
  3. So I'm trying to do a master save file...

User Info: bulgarian_kid

bulgarian_kid
1 year ago#1
I finished everything on Portland and am working through Staunton.

Is there any way to get vehicles from Staunton back to Portland for the import-export and crane?
Anybody wants to front, they can get hit like a mother****ing blunt.

User Info: BimmyLee

BimmyLee
1 year ago#2
What vehicles are you looking to get into Portland? Depending on the vehicle, you won't need to get the actual vehicle from Staunton to Portland (very-difficult/impossible), but instead you can trick the game into spawning a copy in Chinatown.

If you've found a rare vehicle in Staunton/Shoreside, first go stash it in your Staunton garage and save the game. Then drive the rare car to Asuka's condo, leave the car there and get into the Speeder boat parked in the dock downstairs. Drive the boat all the way to that small dock in southwest Portland and go ON-FOOT into Chinatown. The rare car is still in the game's memory so it'll eventually spawn there if you didn't take too long getting into Chinatown and if you didn't enter any other vehicles except the rare car and the boat (that will likely erase it from memory).

For a starter-save, the whole Portland IE-Garage is completable early. AFAIRecall, the only rare vehicles are the Bus, Securicar, MrWhoopee, Flatbed, and Trashmaster. The Chinatown spawn trick usually helps with these. The Blista regularly spawns during Firefighter, so let's say it's semi-rare for a starter-save.

Shoreside's IE-Garage is not completable early due to the BF-Injection. All the other cars are findable. Only the Stretch limo is a rare vehicle.

The EV-Crane is not completable early due to the Rhino, FBI, and Barracks OL:
- Rhino is actually impossible because it doesn't spawn anywhere at that point;
- FBI. I've heard it's supposedly possible but extremely unlikely to get one to spawn during Vigilante. Don't waste your time on this.
- BarracksOL. Someone once said he managed to push it all the way from northeast's Staunton beach into northeast's Portland beach. Using a Reefer boat, you can push the floating Barracks through the ocean, but it's stupidly hard and slow. I remember the person said he was unable to replicate it when he tried again. I've tried a few times myself and the best I managed is to push it ~1/4th of the distance before I gave up.
Another stupidly hard method is partially shown in this video: https://youtu.be/PYp8PYMJlgA. The guy making the vid couldn't even replicate it. I've tried many times and I've only managed to partially ''submerge'' the Barracks into the ground, never fully glitch it underground (I've only manged to glitch Claude underground while escaping the Barracks before it explodes.)

BimmyLee
1 year ago#3
And...I forgot to clarify that the Chinatown trick only works for vehicles that are spawnable in Chinatown. The Blista won't spawn in Chinatown; for a starter-save you need to get it during Firefighter.

So yeah, the BarracksOL is pretty much the only vehicle you'd ever want to push/glitch into Portland. Unfortunately I'm unaware of easier glitches/methods for doing that, and I doubt they exist.

bulgarian_kid
1 year ago#4
Hm, good stuff, thank you.

At this point I'm missing the bus and flatbed for Portland import-export (and I got a securicar in the garage in staunton that I will need to "transfer" per your instructions). Any tips for where these might spawn/what other cars to ride around in to encourage their spawn?

With regards to the rhino, are the number of stars you can get still limited despite your being physically in Shoreside?

BimmyLee
1 year ago#5
You're welcome. Driving in a BarracksOL on that wide highway at the very north of Staunton (roughly from the stadium area on the west to Fort Staunton on the east) can make both the Flatbed and the Bus spawn. The Flatbed is an almost automatic spawn; the Bus can take more time. Instead of driving around, another method I've seen people do is to just park the BarracksOL on the sidewalk and wait for the rare vehicle to eventually drive past them.

For the Chinatown method, I like to run in circles on that wide 4-lane Chinatown road that goes to the hospital; that seems to force the game to keep spawning different vehicles, so you'll get the one you're looking for faster.

Yeah, you're limited to 4-stars in the beginning no matter what island you're in. Officially unlocking Staunton (''Last requests'') will unlock 5-stars, and officially unlocking Shoreside (''A drop in the ocean'') will unlock 6-stars. The FBI is available after unlocking 5-stars. The Rhino is available from the Army after unlocking 6-stars, but it's also temporarily available a bit before that during the ''Arms shortage'' mission. That mission's Rhino has its doors locked tho, so you'll need to have Claude push it into your Staunton garage. (It's actually pretty easy. Top-down view helps with that.)

bulgarian_kid
1 year ago#6
Alright BimmyLee, thanks to your help, I think I've finished everything possible, except the barracksOL. I'm at 53% completed. I'll give the reefer method a try or two, just to see, but given what you've said, I'm not going to waste too much time on it.

BimmyLee
1 year ago#7
Haha, that was fast. Yeah, 53% is the highest you can get, so you must have done everything.

bulgarian_kid
1 year ago#8
yeah, well, I spent all day yesterday playing, and nothing was particularly difficult/time consuming. :)

I gave the barracksOL a few shots, but I can't even get it in the water properly. Only the first time did it look right (floating on the same plane as the surface of the water), but I messed up and jumped into the ocean trying to get back on the reefer from the beach, and then the other times it would be tipped and too submerged to push properly. Any advice on how to get the BarracksOL into the water?

bulgarian_kid
1 year ago#9
Update: Did two more attempts and I launched the OL decently. The first one I managed to push it a dozen or so meters out, but then it blew up. Second one, I got it a similar distance, but eventually I just gave up because it was so slow.

I conclude that it might in fact be possible, but it really would take an unreasonable amount of time. Too much to bother, so I'm declaring this a mission accomplished and moving on.

Thanks again for the excellent responses Bimmy.

bulgarian_kid
1 year ago#10
Actually one more question: What missions/moments should I be on the look out for as far as completing the remaining side mission stuff (BF Injection for shoreside, remaining crane vehicles, is that it?)?
  1. Boards
  2. Grand Theft Auto III
  3. So I'm trying to do a master save file...
  • Topic Archived