• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XII
  3. Anyone know what happened to ff12maps?

User Info: crazy4rpg

crazy4rpg
7 months ago#1
The site has been deleted entirely. It was such a useful resource with maps of every area and the locations of every treasure marked out. All you had to do was hover over one of the markers and you'd get the full info of what its spawn conditions and contents are.

Is there a similar resource I can use somewhere else? Regular text file walkthroughs just aren't the same.
Life is a game. It's freeware which is why it sucks.

User Info: Mr Hangman

Mr Hangman
7 months ago#2
I miss it too. I hope it's archived somewhere.
What senses do we lack that we cannot see and cannot hear another world all around us? -Dune

User Info: ContraPop

ContraPop
7 months ago#3
Very sad that it is gone. I was in the middle of a massive project when the site got taken down, so that project is now gathering dust probably forever. I tried everything to find a resource with the same information and sadly there is none. There are some sites that include the same details for IZJS/TZA but nothing for vanilla. I used the retro machine website or whatever to look at it before it was removed, but the drop downs and hover functionality don't work anymore. I even tried to figure out and contact the owner of the site but to no avail.

User Info: crazy4rpg

crazy4rpg
7 months ago#4
Well I guess there's always the Bradygames guide. It's got maps of most of the areas with the chests marks out. Provided you can find them because the damned things are scattered all over the entire book. It only lacks maps for a few of the optional areas.

Problem is mine is falling apart. The spine is ripped and the book is split into two halves with many many many loose pages. A testament to how much I've used it over the years.
Life is a game. It's freeware which is why it sucks.

User Info: Ojisan

Ojisan
7 months ago#5
the BradyGame guide is fine IF you are following the storyline. otherwise you're SOL. there's only sketchy info on chests in places like Henne Mines sealed area, Zertinan Caverns, and Cerobi Steppe.

User Info: RazielandKain

RazielandKain
7 months ago#6
There's a decent map for Cerobi Steppes still around https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps2/459841-final-fantasy-xii/faqs/49521 I used that map in combination with the ultimate equipment faq https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps2/459841-final-fantasy-xii/faqs/48127 as well as the FF12RNG Helper app (there's 2 floating around but I didn't have much luck with the excel spreadsheet one). This is the one I used https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantasyXII/comments/6o31d6/ff12_rng_helper_updated_zodiac_age_rng_now/ It also works for Zodiac Age but I'm playing vanilla. It's a real shame FF12maps is no longer around because it also had percentages for when chests would give you gil or an item. I wasn't able to figure out how to get the non-diamond armlet chests that weren't a 5% chance to spawn using the RNG helper so I had to just use the brute force method of constantly reloading my file till I got what I wanted.

User Info: zoogelio

zoogelio
7 months ago#7
Mr Hangman posted...
I miss it too. I hope it's archived somewhere.

Sadly, it's gone. The Internet Wayback Machine technically has the site archived, but none of the functionality remains. It'll have to be recreated somewhere else, like FF Wikia.

User Info: ContraPop

ContraPop
7 months ago#8
Anyone know how to figure out the chest percentages? Look at the game's code i am thinking is the only way? I would start documenting the data somewhere if I knew how.

User Info: Mr Hangman

Mr Hangman
7 months ago#9
The chest percentages are all known. You can check Split's FAQ for them, probably others too. In short:

- Chests have an individual chance to appear or not appear when entering the area
- Chests have an individual chance to contain gil or an item
- All chests containing an item opened without a Diamond Armlet have a 50-50 chance to contain each of two possible items
- All chests containing an item opened with a Diamond Armlet have a 90-10 split for their two possible items

The infamous Henne Mines Zodiac Spear chest has 10%*10%*10% = 1/1000, which is the worst you see in this version of the game.
What senses do we lack that we cannot see and cannot hear another world all around us? -Dune

User Info: MizuUma

MizuUma
6 months ago#10
Glad to see I'm not the only person missing the site. Sad there's no real similar option.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XII
  3. Anyone know what happened to ff12maps?
  • Post New Message