• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XII
  3. Why Do People Hate Vaan and Penelo's Character? At Least They're Not Zidane...

User Info: aspilanti84

aspilanti84
5 years ago#1
You know, I don't understand why Vaan and Penelo gets so much hate. I mean, sure, Vaan's a d-bag with the mixture of a Jersey Shores meets J-POP, and Penelo, like Vann, is "just there". But they're generally good-hearted people. And at least they're not Zidane.

If you don't remember, Zidane is the trans-gendered, half-furrie otherkin hero of Final Fantasy IX. He was also the thief (read: parasite). He's is the ultimate "nice guy". He doesn't say anything wrong. He's never disagreeable. He's a doormat.

Lots of other nice guys look up to Zidane. He gets the girl because the story says so. They like him because he seems to live out the otaku/weeaboo/wapanese fantasy of getting a (half) Japanese girlfriend, who would passively falls in love with him after fondling her cheeks ("ooohh, soft"). Can anyone point out when Garnet saw what in him?

On the surface, Zidane's a really shallow character with an unusually superficial outlook on life. "O hai, ghais!!!" Unless you're easily impressed by glib charm, then you can see right through him in the game. Like most nice guys, he makes sure to point out he's doing nice things for people:

"You don't need a reason to help people" - Zidane
O RLY??? You DON'T? You just help people for no reason at all, even if they don't need help? Because when a normal person helps someone, it's:
1) the right thing to do, because
2) they actually need help.
So then, you do need a reason to help people. You just shouldn't expect anything in return. Zidane has a pretentious "nice guy" SJW morality. Anyone who thinks this quote is moral is probably a shallow nice guy themselves.

Sidenote: Zidane always had a reason to help people, usually when capturing the attention of Garnet. He helped other people for things in return, turning down nothing when people offered. And he helped himself to other people's goods because...you know, he was a thief. He actually caused more harm than good.

Zidane helped Amarant by stealing from his guard post and successfully framing him, a law abiding citizen, as the culprit. He's is the reason Amarant became the cold, miserable loner bounty hunter we're all supposed to "learn how NOT to be" (how ironic). Don't you find it a little scary that, like in real life, a psychopath can get YOU to side with THEM after destroying the life of another? The game never points out Zidane's a terrible person for what he did, nor does it let this manchild take responsibility for actions. Not even a "sorry dude". The game makes you uncritically feel Zidane's always right, simply because the game says so. Relativism with a questionable morality. Zidane doesn't care about anyone but himself.

Zidane has a terrible personality trait FFIX continues to gloss over and over again.
"Right after the destruction of Lindblum, what does he do? Goes to hit on more girls. Just after Sarah reveals her mother's horrible transformation to everyone what does he do? Goes to hit on barmaids. Everytime something bad happens except before her coronation, he goes right to trying to pick up chicks and they don't even try to use this as a plot device of him 'doing it to get over grief or to mask a personal shortcoming.' He just does it. He takes a moment after 'mog' kills himself/herself to become Maduin/Madeen to make a joke about it."
(Thanks to Azuredoragon)

And what's with the scene where Vivi and Zidane share an "intimate moment"?! He climbed somewhere, asked Vivi to come with him and said: "This is the tradition between male friends!" Eiko listens in and is horrified at what she's hearing and runs quickly inside. Zidane is 17. Vivi is 9. This is wrong. Terribly wrong. And creepy. "It's always nice to let go under the stars..."

User Info: drbretto

drbretto
5 years ago#2
Is there no FFIX forum or something?

drbretto
5 years ago#3
I'll answer your question though:

PEople don't like Vaan or Penelo because they are empty vessels.

People like Zidane because he has charm.

That's also why he's always chatting up the ladies.

I feel fairly confident that he did not molest Vivi.

And he's transgendered? Did I miss some subtext?

Edit: Actually, the funny thing is, it's actaully pretty clear by the context of the story that he DOES hit on girls to get over things and forget his tragedies, they just don't beat you over the head with it.

User Info: aspilanti84

aspilanti84
5 years ago#4
drbretto posted...
Actually, the funny thing is, it's actaully pretty clear by the context of the story that he DOES hit on girls to get over things and forget his tragedies, they just don't beat you over the head with it.

How is it clear?

drbretto
5 years ago#5
Well, it's half in your own post. You see him reverting back to those habits every time something tragic happens. It's pretty textbook, actually. Or, I should say, at least psychologically accurate.

User Info: Walt28

Walt28
5 years ago#6
No offense, but I think it's just a minority of angry nerds who dislike these characters.

Hell, almost all of the characters from FFXII are awesome when you remove their dialogue. Even Balthier is an awesome character when he isn't saying s*** that sounds blatantly obnoxious and as if he's reading directly from a script. Good lord this is s***ty writing.

I want to say the same thing about NCIS. The show is terrific and the characters are pretty solid. But, holy s*** that show is filled with cliched dialogue.

Zidane isn't a bad character in the slightest. FFIX may not have the best story, but the dialogue and characters and story are hardly the real problem with that game.

Vaan and Penelo? Vaan is a representation of the hardships of youth. He's a picturesque character of someone walking by the side of the road trying to hitch a ride and gets himself dragged into a crazy adventure. Penelo is the embodiment of a young woman growing up in the world and becoming a mature human being.

You know what the problem is? The f***ing story blows. It does nothing to develop these characters.

Hell look at Basch. He's the most one note boring f***ing character in this entire series. He is cliched beyond all belief, has an incredibly sexist design and has the personality of a block of wood.

In all seriousness, FFXII has good characters overall. It's the f***ing writing that sucks so much. And Zidane is in no way a bad character.

User Info: SheenavsKilley

SheenavsKilley
5 years ago#7
The party members in XII are ugly, except Balthier, those costumes so horrible
Your signature contains 2 line breaks, the maximum allowed is 1.

User Info: ZLuxray626

ZLuxray626
5 years ago#8
drbretto posted...
Is there no FFIX forum or something?

There is, and TC trolls there often.
Currently playing: FFIV, FFV, FFVI, & FFVII for iOS
Final Fantasy Record Keeper: Tyro/Sentinel Grimoire - QjcW

User Info: TheGreatPotato

TheGreatPotato
5 years ago#9
Zidane >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Vaan and Penelo.
Dresdenfall is amazing, if you know what I mean :) /wink wink
'I'm really a man.' - MysteryVeil

User Info: SheenavsKilley

SheenavsKilley
5 years ago#10
Even as a Juventus fan in the past, I still never like Zinedine Zidane
Your signature contains 2 line breaks, the maximum allowed is 1.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XII
  3. Why Do People Hate Vaan and Penelo's Character? At Least They're Not Zidane...
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A