The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XII
  3. Do you think Hiroyuki Ito will direct FFXV and set it in Ivalice?

User Info: 1Truth

1Truth
6 years ago#1
I know that Ivalice was created by Yasumi Matsuno, but he's left Squenix and has now recently said via Twitter that he'll never return to Ivalice.

Hiroyuki Ito worked as game designer of FFT and as co-director and game designer of FFXII. He then worked as producer/director of FFXII International Zodiac Job System. Do you think that maybe he is now in charge of the home console Ivalice games?

Sure, Yasumi Matsuno will never return to Ivalice, but maybe Hiroyuki Ito is his successor? I know that Hiroyuki Ito is an amazing game designer, but I don't know how good he is at writing. The only FF script he worked on was FFIX. He also wrote the base story for the iOS game Guardian Cross.

Maybe Hiroyuki Ito will write the base story of FFXV and get an experienced and professional freelance writer to pen the script? What do you guys think?

User Info: CKSqua

CKSqua
6 years ago#2
1Truth posted...
Do you think that maybe he is now in charge of the home console Ivalice games?

I doubt it.

Sure, Yasumi Matsuno will never return to Ivalice, but maybe Hiroyuki Ito is his successor?

Nope. Hiroshi Minagawa seems to be the man behind Matsuno-related developments (i.e. Tactics Ogre PSP). Akihiko Yoshida wants to do more Ivalice, and Minagawa has expressed interest in both Ogre and Vagrant Story. However, Matsuno's participation appears to be a prerequisite.

In fact, loyalty to Matsuno runs strong, with some FFT/VS/FFXII developers having transferred to the FFTA2 project to do their part. Naturally, they worked on Tactics Ogre PSP as well.

At any rate, we're making too many assumptions about the relationship between Matsuno and Ito. They may have collaborated on a couple projects together, but aside from company-mandated assignments, Hiroyuki Ito has never worked with Matsuno's people.

Supposedly, Sakaguchi planted Ito to ensure that the games still felt like Final Fantasy (and after Matsuno left, one of Ito's changes was to introduce the License Board). According to Akitoshi Kawazu, there was tension between two factions on the FFXII team: the Matsuno crew who came off of the PlayOnline project and the Final Fantasy traditionalists who worked on previous installments. Part of his job was to reconcile the differences between the two cliques, making sure that each had fair say on how development should progress.

Perhaps Ito had nothing to do with the conflict, and his associates were the ones clashing with Matsuno's loyalists. We'll probably never know. Nevertheless, I find it strange that Ito never made a public appearance before Matsuno's departure, nor was his name included in the original staff list. It's as if his association with development had been suppressed. However, once Kawazu stepped in, Ito shared equal billing with Minagawa.

get an experienced and professional freelance writer to pen the script? What do you guys think?

I hope so. There's so much protectionism within Japanese game companies that many developers sneer at the thought of hiring external writers.

User Info: 1Truth

1Truth
6 years ago#3
CKSqua posted...
1Truth posted...
Sure, Yasumi Matsuno will never return to Ivalice, but maybe Hiroyuki Ito is his successor?

Nope. Hiroshi Minagawa seems to be the man behind Matsuno-related developments (i.e. Tactics Ogre PSP). Akihiko Yoshida wants to do more Ivalice, and Minagawa has expressed interest in both Ogre and Vagrant Story. However, Matsuno's participation appears to be a prerequisite.

In fact, loyalty to Matsuno runs strong, with some FFT/VS/FFXII developers having transferred to the FFTA2 project to do their part. Naturally, they worked on Tactics Ogre PSP as well.

At any rate, we're making too many assumptions about the relationship between Matsuno and Ito. They may have collaborated on a couple projects together, but aside from company-mandated assignments, Hiroyuki Ito has never worked with Matsuno's people.

Supposedly, Sakaguchi planted Ito to ensure that the games still felt like Final Fantasy (and after Matsuno left, one of Ito's changes was to introduce the License Board). According to Akitoshi Kawazu, there was tension between two factions on the FFXII team: the Matsuno crew who came off of the PlayOnline project and the Final Fantasy traditionalists who worked on previous installments. Part of his job was to reconcile the differences between the two cliques, making sure that each had fair say on how development should progress.

Perhaps Ito had nothing to do with the conflict, and his associates were the ones clashing with Matsuno's loyalists. We'll probably never know. Nevertheless, I find it strange that Ito never made a public appearance before Matsuno's departure, nor was his name included in the original staff list. It's as if his association with development had been suppressed. However, once Kawazu stepped in, Ito shared equal billing with Minagawa.

Actually, the License Board was in the game even before Matsuno left.

Also, the two factions of the FFXII development team were the FFT/Vagrant Story team and another group of staff that made PlayOnline. Matsuno was head of the FFT/Vagrant Story team and also supervised development of PlayOnline.

Lastly, when FFXII was first announced in January 2001, Sakaguchi said the game was being directed by Matsuno and Ito. Sakaguchi for the story and Ito for the gameplay.

User Info: CKSqua

CKSqua
6 years ago#4
The Vagrant Story team was the PlayOnline team! The main designers on VS were tasked with creating the user interface, while the programmers worked on tools and system implementation. To complement the project, Akihiko Yoshida and Hideo Minaba were also designing a small online game (which they cite as the unofficial roots of FFXII) before Sakaguchi stepped in and put them all on the next Final Fantasy.

Recently, Minagawa was asked to supervise the FFXIV 2.0 UI, precisely because he was the one who handled the PlayOnline iteration.

Lastly, when FFXII was first announced in January 2001, Sakaguchi said the game was being directed by Matsuno and Ito. Sakaguchi for the story and Ito for the gameplay.

That was Sakaguchi's doing before development actually started. Fast forward to November 2003, and Matsuno was announced as the sole Producer and Director. Ito wasn't even present at the unveiling ceremony or E3 presentation, which had some of us wondering if he had quit.

We didn't hear about him until August 2005, when news of Matsuno's departure leaked and the credits changed. Minagawa (who was effectively project manager for Matsuno even back to the days at Quest) and Ito were both promoted to the Director's position.

As I said, I don't know if Ito had anything to do with the conflict, and this could all be a coincidence. Nevertheless, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some politics at play with regard to project vision.

Some of these FFT/VS/FFXII developers kept online diaries, and believe me, there was a recurring anti-FF/anti-Sakaguchi undercurrent (very loyal to "Yazz", "TakuM", and other colleagues; angry at Sakaguchi for selfishly screwing the company; dismissive of FFX and Lost Odyssey; dismissive of hiring external staff for development, such as Mistwalker's tendency to hook up with famous artists and writers). It was like they were out to prove something - for instance, they proudly spoke of their team's policy of studying a game console and settling for nothing but the most advanced technology. They were also proud of carrying on Matsuno's legacy in his absence, noting that they requested transfers to the FFTA2 team even though they were already assigned to something else.

Undoubtedly, that philosophy drove them toward design (UI, game system, artwork, story) and technological (3D engine, features, visual effects) excellence, as evidenced by Vagrant Story and FFXII. However, in a large group, where not everyone shares the same ideals/vision, intense zeal and factional loyalty can breed division.

[As an aside, they were very nationalistic too, and conservative politics were occasionally discussed. But that tends to come with the territory]

User Info: Tenaku

Tenaku
6 years ago#5
I sure hope we get to see Hiroyuki Ito direct another major Final Fantasy title. But I'm not hoping that FFXV will be set in Ivalice. The Ivalice in FFXII was grand and marvelous, and I feel that it has already reached its peak potential in artistic design. I feel that if they try Ivalice again, it will be the very same Ivalice, just very polished and beefed up. And if they decided to try Ivalice again, I hope they don't try yet another deeply political story or include a very passive and boring soundtrack like FFXII did.

Final Fantasy XV needs to be something completely new. And I do hope Hiroyuki Ito will be the man for the job.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XII
  3. Do you think Hiroyuki Ito will direct FFXV and set it in Ivalice?
  • Topic Archived