• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XII
  3. Is the story really that bad?!

User Info: Aventerra01

Aventerra01
8 years ago#1
I was playing FFXIII and told my friend about it. I was telling him how I wished it was like XII on the basis off the battle system. If you guys have played XIII, we all know that you can only control one character. I said that I wished that we could have the option of changing up the other's actions while they're still on auto-battle. That when my friend said,

"NO WAY. Nothing good came out of XII. What a terrible game! The story was boring and terrible."

I was slightly offended! I love XII and thought they did a great job. Then he's all saying everyone hated it because of the story. I thought it was interesting with the details about Basch and his twin brother, with Balthier and his father Cid . I just love how everything in some way was connected. Every character gave a different POV. Vaan and Penelo represented the innocent civilians, Ashe represented the royal family, Basch represented the loyalty of the lost army, and Balthier represented how it was on the other side on the antagonists. Gameplay-wise, I think it was friendly and very customizable. It made me had to plan and it was great because I felt accomplished when everything worked out.

Of course, he was entitled to his own opinion but it got me thinking...

What do you guys think? Was the story really to blame? I think some people just hated it because it wasn't given to them on a silver platter. You really had to pay attention.

User Info: RevenantThings

RevenantThings
8 years ago#2
No.
What troubled sleep have you known, to speak of my dreams? No matter how sweet, a dream left unrealized must fade into day - Wiegraf, FFT:tWotL

User Info: mad_hax_man

mad_hax_man
8 years ago#3
Aventerra01 posted...
I was playing FFXIII and told my friend about it. I was telling him how I wished it was like XII on the basis off the battle system. If you guys have played XIII, we all know that you can only control one character. I said that I wished that we could have the option of changing up the other's actions while they're still on auto-battle. That when my friend said,

"NO WAY. Nothing good came out of XII. What a terrible game! The story was boring and terrible."

I was slightly offended! I love XII and thought they did a great job. Then he's all saying everyone hated it because of the story. I thought it was interesting with the details about Basch and his twin brother, with Balthier and his father Cid . I just love how everything in some way was connected. Every character gave a different POV. Vaan and Penelo represented the innocent civilians, Ashe represented the royal family, Basch represented the loyalty of the lost army, and Balthier represented how it was on the other side on the antagonists. Gameplay-wise, I think it was friendly and very customizable. It made me had to plan and it was great because I felt accomplished when everything worked out.

Of course, he was entitled to his own opinion but it got me thinking...

What do you guys think? Was the story really to blame? I think some people just hated it because it wasn't given to them on a silver platter. You really had to pay attention.

I think it was with FFXII's release that I started to hate the FF fanbase. They see everything as too black and white. Its impossible for a game that you like to have flaws or a game that you hate to have strengths. When this happens, you go from one extreme (FFXII, which despite its flaws had a mature script, a world big enough to compensate for the lack fo a world map, etc etc) to another (The overly anime and restrictive FFXIII).

<FFXII SPOILERS>

But back on topic, FFXII's story looses alot in the middle portion of the game (which si the largest segment), from Ghis's death to the introduction fo Doctor Cid. The story surronding the main party goes from a compelling political story about Ashe trying to rebuild her kingdom to a series of failed fetch quest. It also lacks the charming character interactions found in FFX. Vayne's story keeps up the political side fo the story, but it's just so removed from the main party's story that its kind of hard to care.
Things get interesting again when we are introduced to Dr Cid and The Occuria, the former bringing a deeply emotional and personal story while the latter brings in the epic scope of the story. But because they are introduced to late on both are kind of rushed, with the latter plot arc being barely resolved.

<END SPOILERS>

Don't get me wrong, I really did enjoy FFXII, and there are some characters (Dr Cid, Gabranth, Baltheir) and scenes (On top of the Pharos, Berghan's massacre) that really shine through. I really do think that the direction, (albeit probably not its entire execution) FFXII took is what the FF series needs

User Info: Ecclesiastes273

Ecclesiastes273
8 years ago#4
I liked the story, but I can sympathize with those who have issues with how the story was told, and the way certain things were arranged. I'd even agree with them on many points. I think the battle system is customizable as well, but it only gives back what you put into it, and the unnecessary fog of war on the License Board makes it difficult for someone to make intelligent decisions in regards to what they put into the battle system.

Now, I wouldn't say the game as a whole is bad; I'd even say it was pretty good. But if I did despise the game, I'd be a fool to assert that "it's all bad" and leave it at that. It sounds like your friend didn't like XII, and never really reflected on why he didn't like it. Not that he has to, but it's helpful for when you feel compelled to argue *why* on a level higher than "story sux men".
Official Vet of the Monster Hunter Freedom Unite Message Board.

User Info: zoogelio

zoogelio
8 years ago#5
It's not bad, it's just not great. It doesn't really grip people or try and elicit emotions from people. Vaan the shoehorn is part of the issue. He's like the kid that interrupts when the adults (Ashe & Balthier) are talking. Of course, there's some issue with a dialogue-dysfunctional party. Ashe & Balthier get all the lines, Vaan has some quota to interrupt every scene with something stupid or obvious, Basch is too quiet, just standing there like a potted plant most of the time, Fran usually only gets dialogue to act as a weather sensor with a voice reading or as a native interpreter, Penelo only exists to ask Fran how is she.

Another big issue is the cutscenes/story not quite jiving with the lay of the land. This mighty oppressive empire doesn't seem so mighty when they're nowhere to be seen, even across the long journey to their capital city and when they do appear, its literally just dropping in out of the sky. They remind me of a very weird (WWII era) plane that flew over me one night. Things like it have happened before, but had I not written it down, I would have forgotten about it because the encounter was just 30-45 seconds long. Just something weird out of the blue for a short moment that can be easily forgotten. They don't have a strong ground presence. Then, their occupation of Rabanastre isn't that brutal. It seems very casual in fact. Upbeat music (contrast with FFVI occupation music), no devastation (contrast with FFIX occupations after shock & awe), the troops don't interfere in daily life.

I agree, I hate black & white. It seems some people are unaware categories like decent, ok, mediocre, meh can exist. Something that isn't good isn't necessarily bad and something that isn't bad isn't necessarily good. FFXII is subpar (by FF standards) for story, but above average for gameplay with a few weak points (Espers, Quickenings, strong drive towards 6 clones), and A++++ for B-game content (all the hunts, rare game, optional bosses, espers, whatnot) and unlike FFX, it can be very long, quite easy to get 120-200+ hours into FFXII.

User Info: 1shadetail1

1shadetail1
8 years ago#6
The story is boring, just a plain vanilla fantasy plot with nothing that makes it stand out, and with characters who aren't even the main focus. The focus is on the events and background, not on the characters, which makes the story impersonal and distant.

The gameplay, on the other hand, is a lot of fun. So I enjoy the game quite a bit even though the story does not interest me in the slightest.
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.

User Info: NeoTStyle

NeoTStyle
8 years ago#7
I like the story.
Member of IRDC
PSN: NeoTStyle

User Info: Aventerra01

Aventerra01
8 years ago#8
Hmm, I suppose I have to agree that it wouldn't make others emotionally attached as some others would. Yeah, the gaps in the story were rather large, like the jump from Paramina Rift to Phon Coast. I really do like how they show POVs from everyone, but I guess they didn't go into great detail as they should have in a timely manner. Now that I'm playing XIII finally, I'm appreciating XII even more...not that XIII is bad, but it's just so fast paced story wise, while in XII, I understood the details they presented in a slow matter. I guess it was too slow for some others. Compared to XIII, I can relate more easily to the XII characters than XIII's.

@mad_hax_man:
You're right though, as I'm playing XIII, I am literally giggling at some of the dialogue, it's cheesy and it's like your typical anime. As I hear my friend revering XIII's story, I am just in disbelief that he liked something cheesy as that compared to XII's complexity. I'm starting to think the devs tried to make XIII serious but the dialogue just makes it silly at times. Sorry to vent but he thinks Vayne was a cold blooded evil character. I was like...did you even pay attention?

User Info: 1shadetail1

1shadetail1
8 years ago#9
["Sorry to vent but he thinks Vayne was a cold blooded evil character. I was like...did you even pay attention?"]

...? Vayne *was* a cold-blooded evil character. He's a megalomaniacal mass-murder and genocidal war monger whose only ambition was amassing power. I may not like the story, but it was still very easy to follow, and Vayne's character is pretty darned clear.
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.

User Info: Nightmare319

Nightmare319
8 years ago#10
I saw absolutely nothing wrong with the story.
Nightmare -3/19/2003 - 1/5/2005 R.I.P.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy XII
  3. Is the story really that bad?!
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A